Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giants at Reds - July 4th

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Giants at Reds - July 4th

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Ugh, it hasn't stopped raining since midnight, fireworks have been cancelled here (and in all surrounding counties), and the Reds game is on hold. Happy 4th, everyone. Sigh.

Here's hoping that watching the Hot Dog eating contest wasn't the highlight of my day.
    You're still an American. Look at the big picture. You could be from (fill in any other country).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Columbus being represented. Not a bad question. Has a manager coming out to argue ever resulted in the overturning of a call?

Does the Pine Tar Incident count, even though the "reverse" was later "reversed"?

Marty is saying he can "never" recall it happening.

Didn't Bochy just come out and argue the home run call and they reversed it into a double? Maybe they are excluding instant replay. A famous reversal from back in the day happened when Donn Clendenon was hit by a pitch but not given his base. Somehow shoe polish was involved.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-04-2013 at 02:12 PM.

5. Likes:

marcshoe (07-04-2013),Red Raindog (07-04-2013)

Oh jeez. Now the SEG-man is stuttering his way through the Banana Phone.

In case anyone doesn't know, "SEG" stands for "(Bleep) Eating Grin."

Dennison was given the nickname by Bill Cunningham because he always has a "SEG" on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Didn't Bochy just come out and argue the home run call and they reversed it into a double? Maybe they are excluding instant replay.
    Yeah, that must not count. I think they are strictly talking about a manager coming out and convincing a umpire that the ump was wrong and the ump reversing the call without the benefit of replay.

Our 18U tournament over here at Champion Window field in Florence, KY is playing through this rain on the turf. My boy was the SP went 123 in the first then after a half hour delay he started inning 2 in the rain with error-hb-bb-bb. Ugh. They yanked him.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The Shoe Polish incident, IIRC was in the 1969 WS and involved Cleon Jones. Jones was hit in the foot with a pitch and the ball bounced into the Dugout.
    Gil Hodges took the ball to the ump, showed him the shoe polish and Jones was awarded first base. The next hitter: Clendenon, hit a home run.
    Last edited by oneupper; 07-04-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

10. Likes:

remdog (07-04-2013)

Looking at thr radar, I think they will get this in without my issues- in September. I see no way they play today but that's just me I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You're still an American. Look at the big picture. You could be from (fill in any other country).
    Oh, I'm happy for all those reasons and more, but my planned day is pretty much shot.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Didn't Bochy just come out and argue the home run call and they reversed it into a double? Maybe they are excluding instant replay. A famous reversal from back in the day happened when Donn Clendenon was hit by a pitch but not given his base. Somehow shoe polish was involved.
    Don't forget the great Nippy Jones:
    "Jones is remembered for being involved in a controversial "Shoeshine incident" in the 1957 Series, that would be repeated twelve years later by Cleon Jones in the 1969 World Series.[3] Jones pinch hit in games one and three of the 1957 World Series, grounding out both times. Both of which games were also won by the Yankees. Game four went into extra innings, and when the Yankees took a 5–4 lead in the tenth, the Braves were looking at the possibility of falling three games to one in the series.[4]
    Jones led off the Milwaukee half of the tenth inning, pinch hitting for Warren Spahn. He jumped back from a low pitch that home plate umpire Augie Donatelli called a ball. Jones protested that it had hit his foot, and he was awarded first base after showing Donatelli a shoe polish mark on the ball to prove it. Yankees manager Casey Stengel vehemently protested the call, but to no avail.[3] The Braves scored three runs in the tenth, including a two-run home run by Eddie Mathews to end the game and even the series at two games apiece.[5] The play was the turning point in the series, as the Braves went on to win the series in seven games.[3]"
    Wikipedia

I demand an investigation. Over the years the Twins have regularly tanked to the Yankees but this is rediculous. Yankees had lost 5 in a row and were falling fast. So what happens- Twins are in the process of dumping the the entire 4 game series- in their own ball park! Something fishy going on here. Good job Twinkies.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Oh, I'm happy for all those reasons and more, but my planned day is pretty much shot.
    I'm working - want to trade?

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

16. Likes:

Always Red (07-04-2013)

Looks like the game has been postponed

They just called it. This game is rained out.

FSN will now replay the Bailey no-hitter.

No make-up date announced.
    Last edited by ProfessorTofty; 07-04-2013 at 03:38 PM.

damn
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?