Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond the Box Score All-Stars: Interesting Reds choices and non-choices

Re: Beyond the Box Score All-Stars: Interesting Reds choices and non-choices

Frazier certainly isn't my whipping boy. He is an average mlb third baseman. Nothing more. Nothing less. At this stage in his career he is not, under any circumstances, an All-Star. And I want no part of a system that elects him so.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the Reds do get four all stars this year, I assume Choo or Bruce (not both) will get on and Chapman.

I doubt it will happen. But if so, it will be because MLB wants Chapman in the game.

Scott Rolen made the All Star Team in 2011. If that is reason alone to not discount Todd Frazier, I don't know what is.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Frazier certainly isn't my whipping boy. He is an average mlb third baseman. Nothing more. Nothing less. At this stage in his career he is not, under any circumstances, an All-Star. And I want no part of a system that elects him so.
    Great! But there wasn't a "system" that picked him. It was a group of dudes.

This is pretty clear if you read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Scott Rolen made the All Star Team in 2011. If that is reason alone to not discount Todd Frazier, I don't know what is.
    Rolen made it that year because a number of third basemen ahead of him either turned it down or were injured. Rolen himself said he had no business going on merit.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Great! But there wasn't a "system" that picked him. It was a group of dudes.

This is pretty clear if you read the article.
    If it will make you feel better, replace "system" with "process." The point is the same: Frazier is not an all-star.

Rolen made it that year because a number of third basemen ahead of him either turned it down or were injured. Rolen himself said he had no business going on merit.
    Last I checked it still says AS next to his 2011 year on his page at Baseball-Reference.com, not ASbcEEWIOAG(All Star because Everyone Else Was Injured Or A Girl
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is a perfect example of why WAR is great at the macro level and terrible at the micro level.

Just an embarrassing article, really too many issues to discuss, imo.
    I am big on sabermetrics.

WAR has it's purposes. Finality isn't one of them IMO. WAR is a nice guide to start the discussion for me.

I really only looked at the Reds guys.

I fully believe you can make a strong argument to include Homer Bailey on the All-Star team.

Here is where he ranks in the National League:
    WAR: 5
    Innings: 10
    ERA: 29
    FIP: 5
    xFIP: 3
    K%: 7
    BB%: 14
    K/BB: 8
    WHIP: 11

Outside of ERA, he is among the best pitchers in the league in nearly every other category.

Would I put him on there roster? I honestly don't know. But he should be in the discussion.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

WAR has it's purposes. Finality isn't one of them IMO. WAR is a nice guide to start the discussion for me.

I fully believe you can make a strong argument to include Homer Bailey on the All-Star team.

Outside of ERA, he is among the best pitchers in the league in nearly every other category.

Would I put him on there roster? I honestly don't know. But he should be in the discussion.
    If there was room for one Red's pitcher, would it be Bailey, Latos or Leake?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

High five!

If it will make you feel better, replace "system" with "process." The point is the same: Frazier is not an all-star.
    I feel the same as I did prior to reading your post:

• Frazier wouldn't be on my All Star team.
    • The "tell your stats to shut up" commentary is tired

Prediction: I'll continue to feel this way after you NEXT post too.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is a perfect example of why WAR is great at the macro level and terrible at the micro level.
    Searching the linked article for the word "WAR" yields two results on the page: one talking about Jean Segura and the first three letters of the word "warm" under Jose Fernandez.

The word "ERA" is used 6 times.

UZR, wRC, a "slash line", home runs, OBP, FIP, walk rate, ERA- are peppered throughout. In other words, quite a mix of traditional and "advanced" statistics.

I'm not sure what WAR has to do with it. It certainly had nothing to do with picking Todd Frazier.

Just an embarrassing article, really too many issues to discuss, imo.
    I disagree. I think there's a lot to discuss for those interested in discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Bailey has underperformed his peripherals (WAR) his entire career. Just like Arroyo has overperformed his peripherals his whole career. I think with those two, we have reached the point where we can say their ERA, WHIP, Etc, are a better reflection of their true talent level than their peripherals. Basically, both are very nice middle rotation pitchers.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It wouldn't be Leake, I know that. Bailey has better peripherals than Latos. Latos has been a bit better/luckier (off the top of my head, I don't know if this is true, but his LOB% is better, so perhaps relievers have done better with his runners than Bailey) with runners on base which shows up in the ERA, the only stat that Latos has been better than Bailey this season.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I would go with Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I feel the same as I did prior to reading your post:

• Frazier wouldn't be on my All Star team.
    • The "tell your stats to shut up" commentary is tired

Prediction: I'll continue to feel this way after you NEXT post too.
    Dang Norm...you just got bullet-pointed!!!!!

Frazier wouldn't be on my All Star team either. But I certainly am not offended by the thought that he was in the conversation, and actually picked after much debate.

Turn Off Ads?