Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond the Box Score All-Stars: Interesting Reds choices and non-choices

Re: Beyond the Box Score All-Stars: Interesting Reds choices and non-choices

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If there was room for one Red's pitcher, would it be Bailey, Latos or Leake?
    None. Latos maybe, but there are too many clear choice in the league better than him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Bailey has underperformed his peripherals (WAR) his entire career. Just like Arroyo has overperformed his peripherals his whole career. I think with those two, we have reached the point where we can say their ERA, WHIP, Etc, are a better reflection of their true talent level than their peripherals. Basically, both are very nice middle rotation pitchers.
    That can be taken many ways. How about this...

Homer Bailey is the _______ best starting pitcher in baseball. A range of 5 or so would be fine.

4. Likes:

RedEye (07-04-2013)

The real embarrassing part here is the outright refusal of some posters to engage with what the article is trying to say. The authors never said theirs was the perfect system; they laid out a set of criteria and explained how they used them. Even if you disagree with their conclusions, you should probably give then the benefit of the doubt before snarkily dismissing their selections as "ruining discussion."
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

None. Latos maybe, but there are too many clear choice in the league better than him.
    Using which criteria?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Dang Norm...you just got bullet-pointed!!!!!

Frazier wouldn't be on my All Star team either. But I certainly am not offended by the thought that he was in the conversation, and actually picked after much debate.
    Yes. I thought the decision-making process was interesting.

Haven't read the article yet, but here is my shot at a 32 man roster (20 Position players and 12 pitchers).

C - Molina, Posey
    1B - Votto, Goldschmidt, Freeman
    2B - Carpenter, Scutaro
    SS - Segura, Desmond (Tulo on DL)
    3B - Wright, Alvarez
    OF - Cargo, Cuddyer, Gomez, Beltran, Brown, McCutchen, Choo, Schierholtz, Puig
    P - Harvey, Fernandez, Wainwright, Lee, Leake, Kershaw, Locke, Cashner, Strasburg, Zimmerman, Grilli, Kimbrel
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    This is so out of whack, it's laughable. Sabremetrics has forever destroyed the possibility of sensible baseball discussion.
    Wow... get all Giovanni Maria Tolosani why don't cha?

High five!

My mind was semi-blown when I checked this.

To me, there's a good argument saying Homer Bailey has been amongst the top-5 starting pitchers in the NL over the past 365 days:

5th: IP
    11th: K/9
    12th: BB/9
    11th: HR/9
    5th: FIP
    6th: xFIP
    16th: ERA

Even though we're a good three years removed from the "lost decade," this is still a bit hard to believe that this is OUR Homer Bailey.

Latos ain't so bad either.

11. Likes:

dougdirt (07-04-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Bailey has underperformed his peripherals (WAR) his entire career. Just like Arroyo has overperformed his peripherals his whole career. I think with those two, we have reached the point where we can say their ERA, WHIP, Etc, are a better reflection of their true talent level than their peripherals. Basically, both are very nice middle rotation pitchers.
    I just don't know if that is true with Bailey. In 2009 he was basically even. In 2012 his ERA was better than his FIP. Right now, Homer Bailey has the lowest strand rate he has had since 2008. I don't expect that to continue. Do you?

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I just don't know if that is true with Bailey. In 2009 he was basically even. In 2012 his ERA was better than his FIP. Right now, Homer Bailey has the lowest strand rate he has had since 2008. I don't expect that to continue. Do you?
    I was going to do a blog post the other day (shameless plug) about how Bailey's peripherals were ace-like, but the no hitter made me hold off. I didn't want people to think that the piece was reactionary to the no no. I may revisit it later this year if it holds true.

I think he's a top 5 or 10 guy in the NL right now.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 07-04-2013 at 04:38 PM.

14. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    My mind was semi-blown when I checked this.

To me, there's a good argument saying Homer Bailey has been amongst the top-5 starting pitchers in the NL over the past 365 days:

5th: IP
    11th: K/9
    12th: BB/9
    11th: HR/9
    5th: FIP
    6th: xFIP
    16th: ERA

Even though we're a good three years removed from the "lost decade," this is still a bit hard to believe that this is OUR Homer Bailey.

Latos ain't so bad either.
    ERA is all the matters to the team. Until Bailey can translate those peripherals into a top of the rotation ERA, he ain't one of the best pitchers in the league, imo.

Bailey and Latos would be a toss-up as a game 1 play-off starter (I lean toward Homer), but I think the All Star game should weigh actual production over theoretical or predicted production, so Leake would get the nod from me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stat geek...and proud

ERA is all the matters to the team. Until Bailey can translate those peripherals into a top of the rotation ERA, he ain't one of the best pitchers in the league, imo.
    There are factors in play there that aren't necessarily under his control. Plus, his ERA is sort of inflated by that one disaster start vs. MIL.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    There are factors in play there that aren't necessarily under his control. Plus, his ERA is sort of inflated by that one disaster start vs. MIL.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    There are enough guys whose ERA isn't inflated by anything to make that a moot point.

And nothing a pitcher does is truely under his control. The results of everything he does depends on the actions of others. Unless he is pitching in his backyard against the garage wall, and the results are all in his head

High five!

ERA is all the matters to the team.
    I disagree. ERA is a measure of what the run prevention unit does while the pitcher is on the mound. It's not a measure reflective of what he did by himself.

Until Bailey can translate those peripherals into a top of the rotation ERA, he ain't one of the best pitchers in the league, imo.
    I have no idea what a "top of the rotation" ERA is but he's transformed himself into one of the best pitchers in the league over the past calendar year and to me, it's quite refreshing. Kind of like a mojito or shoju cocktail.

20. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (07-05-2013),Tom Servo (07-04-2013)

Turn Off Ads?