Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Reds sign Bailey long term?

Can the Reds sign Bailey long term?

Coming off his 2nd no hitter, I began to wonder if this was only a stop for Bailey on his way west. He turned down a multi-year deal back in March and gave no indication of reconsidering. Your thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    topsyt

Re: Can the Reds sign Bailey long term?

Very Doubtful- I think the Cincinnati Self righteous Media with Marty and P Doc leading the charge just took care of any long term signing hopes. Just an ugly situation. I would rather have Bailey long term than any of the media clowns currently around.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (07-05-2013)

Also, it was stated yesterday that Bailey refused to be interviewed by WLW, who instead chose Hanningan in his place. Hope bridges are built because I think this guy can become something special.

While the other night was AWESOME, Bailey is still a bit too "feast or famine" for my taste (5-6 record). If it comes down to Bailey OR Latos, I'd much rather get some TOP prospects for "Batman", & sign Latos to the long-term deal.

I just really hope that we don't just "wait it out" and end up getting nothing for him.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Fever View Post
    While the other night was AWESOME, Bailey is still a bit too "feast or famine" for my taste (5-6 record). If it comes down to Bailey OR Latos, I'd much rather get some TOP prospects for "Batman", & sign Latos to the long-term deal.

I just really hope that we don't just "wait it out" and end up getting nothing for him.
    They will wait it out. There is no way a contending team is going to trade a pitcher like Homer Bailey.

Also, his record means nothing. The sooner people stop looking at pitcher records (or even when baseball decides to stop awarding a win or a loss to a single player on a team where at least 9 guys played for that team), the better.

8. Likes:

Australian Red (07-04-2013),marcshoe (07-06-2013),RedlegJake (07-04-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    He turned down a multi-year deal back in March.
    I have no recollection of this. Can anybody verify?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I have no recollection of this. Can anybody verify?
    This. I remember he turned down an offer to talk extension but I didn't recall that it was very specific on the Reds part and I didn't think it all that credible or alarming if it was. A player showing signs of busting out deciding not to talk before really establishing a high value didn't seem unusual or a sign he wasn't interested in staying. Just he felt he could improve his leverage a lot by another season.

This stupid fued with WLW doesn't help though. Players have rejected franchises for less.

11. Likes:

LexRedsFan (07-06-2013)

I would rather give Latos the long term deal. I hope we can bring Bailey back, but don't know if we could. The media is stupid lol I am sure they are still throwing a fuss about Bailey not interviewing and saying the f word.

I'd like to bring Bailey back if possible, but he's definitely up and down a lot. We've seen stuff like this from him in the past, but it's certainly not something that we can expect from him regularly. A stable consistently good pitcher is better than an erratic pitcher that throws great some nights and terrible other nights. The second situation puts a lot of stress on your bullpen.

14. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-05-2013),remdog (07-13-2013)

I think they can sign him back, but will likely have to pay market value to do so. I don't get the feeling that he will give the Reds a discount, I tend to think it will be the same with Latos.
    I do think keeping Price, as pitching coach, or Manager, could go a long way to retaining Homer...

I'll be very disappointed if Homer is gone next year, it took a lot of patience waiting for him to breakout, and over the past 12 months the patience has been rewarded...

Quote Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
    I think they can sign him back, but will likely have to pay market value to do so. I don't get the feeling that he will give the Reds a discount, I tend to think it will be the same with Latos.
    I do think keeping Price, as pitching coach, or Manager, could go a long way to retaining Homer...

I'll be very disappointed if Homer is gone next year, it took a lot of patience waiting for him to breakout, and over the past 12 months the patience has been rewarded...
    He won't be a free agent before '15 anyways, so don't worry about "next year": http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/242/homer-bailey

Quote Originally Posted by topsyt View Post
    Very Doubtful- I think the Cincinnati Self righteous Media with Marty and P Doc leading the charge just took care of any long term signing hopes. Just an ugly situation. I would rather have Bailey long term than any of the media clowns currently around.
    Homer is smart enough to know that there is media in every MLB town. It will likely have extremely little bearing on whether or not he signs a long extension with the Reds. If the dollars and years are what he wants, he'll stay... if they're not, he won't.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

It will come down to money, like it does in 99/100 sports contracts.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I think we can afford him, but... Will we want to is a different story. He is going to command a LOT of money on the open market.

Well at least he doesn't have Boras as his agent.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Turn Off Ads?