Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can the Reds sign Bailey long term?

Re: Can the Reds sign Bailey long term?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Fever View Post
    While the other night was AWESOME, Bailey is still a bit too "feast or famine" for my taste (5-6 record). If it comes down to Bailey OR Latos, I'd much rather get some TOP prospects for "Batman", & sign Latos to the long-term deal.

I just really hope that we don't just "wait it out" and end up getting nothing for him.
    W/L records is a poor metric on its own to measure a pitchers performance. 11 of his 17 starts have been quality starts, He has a reasonable ERA, WHIP, FIP career wise he's an average to above average pitcher. This year has been a career year for him so far, FIP suggests he's actually pitching better than his ERa, W/L records shows. Last year he ate a lot of innings, had a sub 4 era, above 500 pitcher..... All the makings of a solid back end of the rotation pitcher..... True no ace... But he can eat innings, give the BP a rest, and still give the team a decent chance at a win.

I agree though, I wouldn't tie up too much money on bailey.... Lock in the top of the rotation, and let the young arms in the farm battle it out for the back end of the rotation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Lock in the top of the rotation, and let the young arms in the farm battle it out for the back end of the rotation.
    Not a ton in the farm to bring in to handle the major league rotation anytime soon... especially after seeing the trouble that Corcino has been having overall this year. Would be really nice to see them figure out a way to retain both Latos and Bailey.

I have a feeling that Bailey is just gonna keep getting better and better...until eventually he pitches himself out of our price range. I guess, if it was 100% evident that he won't be re-signing, then next July he would make a fabulous trading chip. Ideally, though, he and Latos sign and we keep them here for a while along with Cingrani, Leake, and Stephenson.

Turn Off Ads?