Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor League Updates: Thursday 7/04/2013

Minor League Updates: Thursday 7/04/2013

Pensacola is the first farm team in action today. Well, the first that there are any updates on. They will be hosting the Jacksonville Suns.

Shaun Ellis is on the mound and has twirled a three-inning shutout so far. Ellis is making his sixth start since being converted from the 'pen. Including today's work he has a 2.08 ERA as a starter. In 26 innings he has allowed 23 hits. He has walked just five while striking out 14.
    Shaun Ellis is from the Indy leagues and is 26. Devin Lohman has the lone hit for the offensively-inept Wahoos. He led the home half of the first off with a single. Yorman Rodriguez has been struggling lately. His average is down to .274 and his OPS just slid under .700.

Jacksonville was gifted a run in the top of the fourth and lead 1-0. A walk and then an error on a fielder's choice (Lohman-22) put runners on 2nd and 3rd. A ground ball got the Suns off the schneid. They score without benefit of a hit. Pensacola goes down meekly in the bottom of the inning.

A quiet fifth for Ellis. Five innings, one hit, one unearned run. And a 1-2-3 sixth for the former Indy Leaguer.

Pensacola takes advantage of some Jacksonville sloppiness to plate a pair. Lohman strikes out but reaches first. Yorman doubles him home to tie the game. Marquez Smith singles in the go-ahead run. Pensacola leads 2-1 after six.

Ellis has now set now ten in succession. Final line: 7.0IP 1H 1R 0ER 1BB 5K. Josh Ravin is on. Ravin makes it 13 straight Suns to set down. Trevor Bell will come on in the ninth to try to shut the door. Bell gets the job done and Pensacola wins 2-1.

Bell has yet to give up an earned run in limited 2013 action. He is back in Pensacola after a brief stint in AAA. 11.1 scoreless innings in AA with 4 saves.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor League Updates: Thursday 7/04/2013

Louisville will be getting underway soon against Indy. Chad "Sharky" Rogers will be making his AAA debut. I have no idea if rain is going to be a factor. It looks like Indianapolis is right on the edge of that system. Touch and go.

Henry Rodriguez and Denis Phipps with one-out singles but Neftali Soto hits into a twin-killing. Sharky time.

One-out single but the runner was subsequently picked off by Rogers. A double off the wall and then a double that ate up Soto and Indianapolis is up 1-0 in the first. Hessman sends one to the wall that the wind kept in the park.

Rogers is wobbling but trying to hold it together. Indy pushes across a pair in the fourth. Indianapolis leads 3-0.

Rogers through for the night. Numbers are nothing special. 6IP 8H 3R 3ER 2BB 1K. Not all that bad for his first start at a higher level.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-04-2013 at 08:15 PM.

A little minor league baseball weirdness. You have to love minor league baseball.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...b&ymd=20130702

5. Likes:

SirFelixCat (07-04-2013),Tom Servo (07-04-2013)

Watching Sharky now. His motion is really understated. Seems like it should be easy for it to be repeatable.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Missoula and Billings are underway. No score after one. Jose Guzman (0.90 ERA) on the mound. Rachal (.350) and Ervin (.362) with one-out singles but were left stranded. Guzman hangs up another goose egg. Billings up in the second.
    Billings scores a couple in the bottom of the second. Ortiz (.360) walks. Ty Washington sends him with a triple (.333) and then scores on a wild pitch. 2-0 Billings.
    Billings adds a run in the fourth. Gabriel Rosa is hit by a pitch. That is followed by singles off the bats of Ortiz and Washington. Jose Guzman has shut down Missoula for five innings. His ERA is a Cingranian 0.64. Billings 3 Missoula 0 in the middle of the fifth.
    Billings stretches their lead to 6-0. Rachal walked. Ervin sent him scampering to third with his second single of the game. Rachal scored as Paula reached on an error. Ervin stole third (6) and came home on an errant throw. Paula scored on a ground out. 6-0 Billings.
    Guzman's final line: 5.1IP 3H 0R 0ER 1BB 3K. Nice effort.
    Scott Brattvet had a round introduction to rookie ball but has pitched well in his last two trips to the mound. He has gone 1.2 scoreless frames. No hits, no walks and two punch outs.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-04-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Is it just me or do Louisville and Indianapolis play each other roughly every other series?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Is it just me or do Louisville and Indianapolis play each other roughly every other series?
    I believe they play each other 95 times this season*.

*I don't actually believe this

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Watching Sharky now. His motion is really understated. Seems like it should be easy for it to be repeatable.
    Mth the thing that impressed me when I saw him in his last AA start has how he kept every pitch down. See if he is doing that again.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 07-04-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Mth the thing that impressed me when I saw him in his last AA start has how he kept every pitch down. See if he is doing that again.
    He's trying to. He has a really funny downward plane on his ball. He's a short guy, but his ball seems to have a really pronounced downward trajectory. It's almost like he's throwing it at the plate and not the catcher's glove. Seems kind of odd. He's been OK, but hasn't really wowed me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Dayton is in a delay.

Okay the Dragons are underway as there is a scoreless first in the books. Ismael Guillon with a 1-2-3 effort, striking out one. Guillon walked one in the second but escaped further trouble.
    Jesse Winker with a single to start things off in the bottom of the second. Gelalich singles one out later. Rahier ends the threat by grounding into a double play.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-04-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Denis Phipps is a bettter defensive OF than anyone on the major league team. Wish he was hitting more. .254/.343/.390/.733 seems a little light, but I wouldn't be opposed to him coming up and getting some time against LHP in CF. Against LHP he's at .318/.414/.447/.861.

14. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-05-2013),Tom Servo (07-04-2013)

Denis Phipps is a bettter defensive OF than anyone on the major league team. Wish he was hitting more. .254/.343/.390/.733 seems a little light, but I wouldn't be opposed to him coming up and getting some time against LHP in CF. Against LHP he's at .318/.414/.447/.861.
    If Derrick Robinson is keeping him off of the 25-man, then something is wrong. I freely admit that I don't think Robinson is a major leaguer.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-04-2013 at 07:56 PM.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-05-2013),Tom Servo (07-04-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would take DRob on defense over Phipps and not think twice about it. Phipps has the better arm, but DRob has range that Phipps can't touch and I will take range over an arm on an outfielder every day of the week.

DSL Reds playing a pair. First game is over.

D-Reds win 6-3 on just four hits.

Jacob Constante (1.15 ERA) with a start that will you smile. 4IP 4H 1R 0ER 2BB 6K.

Erick Gabo walked, homered, scored twice, drove in a run.

How many games now has Billy missed? Is he out til after the AAA ASG?

Turn Off Ads?