Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wait, what?

Re: Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Both approaches have merit. Using only one misses an awful lot.
    Couldn't have said it any better.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    ?.. it seems no one here just talks the enjoyment and art of baseball. So occasionally I'll take a little potshot across the bow to relieve the pressure.
    Then you simply haven't looked very hard. This site is chock full of baseball and Reds history, lore and as was said above, poetry. There are tons of posters who never talk advanced stats, and are always ready, willing and able to talk good old fashioned hardball, and Reds history.

I enjoy reading the threads that discuss and argue(!) stats, and learn from them, but am not as well versed as others and tend to just observe those.

4. Likes:

RedEye (07-04-2013), Revering4Blue (07-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    As useful as this post is Redsfan, I would advise against it.

There are some people around who appreciate baseball as poetry not math.

There are some around who have zero clue how the game is actually played on the field and rely solely on what their calculator tells them (often after already forming their opinion).

Finally, there are those who have a good mix of the two. IMO, these are the guys to pay the most attention to and learn something. The advanced stats aren't the final verdict but they can be a useful tool if presented in a positive way.
    No I mean it, go find another board, there isn't a single person on this board that relies solely on what their calculator tells them. Not one. You can't name one. This subject has become the constant drone in the background. Stop the madness. All "advanced" baseball stats do is to quantify what otherwise would be subjective. EX. People go round and round complaining and arguing about how certain teams should bunt more. When shown the math that sacrifice bunts on the whole, inhibit run production, the response shouldn't be "Shut up nerd", it should be "Hmm, Maybe I should reevaluate my position?"

The OP brought up OPS and WAR. This board has had endless debates about WAR, how it is calculated, how it applies to the construct of the team, who has the best formula, why it can be flawed, why people don't understand it, etc, etc. OPS is a straight forward stat that is figured by basic addition, of two percentages. What is so difficult to understand? If he doesn't like having a quantitative statistic to compare players, does he want a bunch of "My dad could beat up your dad" arguments? Because I am sure everyone would love reading that.

How much poetry of baseball, is there in a message board discussion? Really? How many more superlatives can be uttered about an acrobatic play of Brandon Phillips, aside from the usual "wows"? What are you looking for?

On a personal note, I have never seen Raisor wax poetic on the symphony of baseball acuity that is inspired by the breathtaking cornucopia of pitchers' fielding practice.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

6. Likes:

RedEye (07-04-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

spring breeze
    the green field
    tempts me to play catch
    (1890, translated by the Shiki-Kinen Museum English Volunteers)

~Masaoka Shiki, 19th-century Japanese haiku master

“Poets are like baseball pitchers. Both have their moments. The intervals are the tough things".

~Robert Frost

"Fanaticism? No. Writing is exciting
    and baseball is like writing.
    You can never tell with either
    how it will go
    or what you will do"

~ George Plimpton

“Baseball is fathers and sons playing catch, the long arc of the years between.”

~Donald Hall

That suspension of time is one of poetry’s greatest gifts. (As Donald Justice puts it, “Certain moments will never change nor stop being.”) Poetry and baseball encourage us to concentrate on singular moments, and that concentration creates preservation. A pitch, a pause, a pitch, followed by frenetic action—a glowing white baseball disappearing into the night over the Green Monster; Archibald MacLeish’s “sole, clean, clear / Leap of the salmon that has disappeared.” Baseball’s very rhythms are those of poetry, acknowledging that if everything can change in a moment, then attention to those moments is an essential duty.
    http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/180149

8. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (07-04-2013), RedlegJake (07-05-2013), Roy Tucker (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

On a personal note, I have never seen Raisor wax poetic on the symphony of baseball acuity that is inspired by the breathtaking cornucopia of pitchers' fielding practice.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.....
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

10. Likes:

Always Red (07-06-2013), LoganBuck (07-04-2013), pahster (07-04-2013), Roy Tucker (07-05-2013), Tom Servo (07-04-2013), wire2wire90 (07-04-2013)

Perhaps it's just a by-product of heavy participation in a baseball board, but "sabermetrics" is discussed and believed in about 1,000% more on this board than it is among baseball fans I know in real life. (And yes, that's a made-up stat, and I know 1,000% isn't a real thing).

I find the OPSs and the WARs and all that stuff very tiresome, it seems no one here just talks the enjoyment and art of baseball. So occasionally I'll take a little potshot across the bow to relieve the pressure.
    Most people don't understand or believe that time is relative, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Maybe you need to spend more time with the baseball fans you know in real life and less time here since you don't seem to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It appears we are getting to the point where those who have determined that they don't like "the sabermetrics guys" are drawing a line in the sand and declaring a pre-emptive war against them. It's essentially a form of trolling; saying things to get a rise out of posters and cause arguments. I think we're better than it.
    Yeah! We get to have the same discussions again that are already in the archives thirteen times over!

Maybe this time all the geeks that use stats will actually be convinced to start watching games even though, obviously having never played the game past kindergarten, they can never truly understand much about it.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

13. Likes:

LoganBuck (07-04-2013)

The OS (Original Sabermetrician)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (07-05-2013), Revering4Blue (07-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Then go post on another board.
    Whoa. I'd rather try to improve this one. Leaving it to people like you sure won't get that done.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I've been saying that for weeks. It's like a nerd witch hunt.
    It's mostly a bunch of low post count people trolling IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    There are some people around who appreciate baseball as poetry not math.
    When will these trolls start contributing the "poetry"? I haven't seen it yet...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Do not feed the troll.
    A troll is an infrequent visitor who swoops in for the sole purpose of stirring up s****. I'm neither an infrequent visitor (been here for years), nor was my SOLE (key word) purpose to stir up s****. I like the point that an actual baseball player disagrees with the nerds' anti-clutch theories.

So, try again.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

A troll is an infrequent visitor who swoops in for the sole purpose of stirring up s****. I'm neither an infrequent visitor (been here for years), nor was my SOLE (key word) purpose to stir up s****. I like the point that an actual baseball player disagrees with the nerds' anti-clutch theories.

So, try again.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

21. Likes:

Raisor (07-04-2013)

What's the over/under before this gets locked?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

23. Likes:

jojo (07-04-2013)

So, try again.
    Carl Everett doesnt believe dinosaurs ever existed, he too doesn't care much for research and stuff.

25. Likes:

gilpdawg (07-04-2013), Revering4Blue (07-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?