Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball

Baseball

This baseball is from a doubleheader I attended July 1, 1973. I have mentioned on RZ quite a bit so you are probbaly sick of it. Nearly our entire family attended. We sat in the first row of the LF green seats at Riverfront. Davey Lopes hit this HR. The ball hit off my oldest brothers hands and bounced into my brother-in-laws lap. Since I was the geeky little kid in the family at the time they let me I have it. I've kept it all these years and one of those sentmental things I would never give away or sell.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  289.1 KB
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 07-08-2022 at 09:07 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

Australian Red (07-04-2013),dougdirt (07-04-2013),New York Red (07-04-2013),RedEye (07-07-2013),reds1869 (07-06-2013),redsfanmia (07-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Baseball

Very cool. I only have one game used baseball. A Sean Casey home run ball from a game I wasn't even at.

High five!

Nice story!

Very nice! I have one game used ball, from the May 25 game against the Rockies last year.

The cool thing about that ball is that it is from the time when Spalding made baseballs for MLB. You can't get those anymore! Charles, "Chub" Feeney was the President of the NL then!

8. Likes:

RedEye (07-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    The cool thing about that ball is that it is from the time when Spalding made baseballs for MLB. You can't get those anymore! Charles, "Chub" Feeney was the President of the NL then!
    It is also made from either horsehide or cowhide. I don't remember which one. MLB changed from one to another a couple of years after that.
    I was wondering when someone would notice that it is a NL baseball as opposed to a MLB baseball. Things were still separated quite a bit by league in those days.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm betting it is horsehide as MLB switched to cowhide in 1974 due to a shortage of horses.

Turn Off Ads?