Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cool Alberti Chavez "stat"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Cool Alberti Chavez "stat"

For those unaware the Reds recently sent 17-year-old Alberti Chavez to Bakersfield from the AZL. He has all of 11 at bats over 4 games (he pinch ran one game). Still, he is the first 17-year-old in the California League since 2007. I just thought that was a cool little "stat".

2. Likes:

PepperJack (07-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cool Alberti Chavez "stat"

Some may remember a few years ago when the Reds vaulted Didi Gregorius out of rookie ball up to high A to fill a need. When Didi "held his own," as Chavez has done, it was the first sign that he had some interesting potential. Didi wasn't then as young as Chavez is now, but a similar situation nonetheless.

Doug or anyone, what do we know about this guy? Comparison? Tools? Favorites types of pizza?

Before the fun police come, yes we know he is young and in A ball, and is currently a longshot to make the show.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Some may remember a few years ago when the Reds vaulted Didi Gregorius out of rookie ball up to high A to fill a need. When Didi "held his own," as Chavez has done, it was the first sign that he had some interesting potential. Didi wasn't then as young as Chavez is now, but a similar situation nonetheless.
    Yep. And in that context, I'm just curious to find out if this was a legitimate promotion or a case of temporary place-holding. Gotta be the latter, it seems. I can't imagine that, as a prospect decision, they would so quickly determine that this kid can fly over Billings and Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Doug or anyone, what do we know about this guy? Comparison? Tools? Favorites types of pizza?

Before the fun police come, yes we know he is young and in A ball, and is currently a longshot to make the show.

The only thing I can find are some DSL stats from last year.

314/356/396 in 159 ABs. He had 11 2B, 1 3B,he walked 12 times, and struck out just 18 times.

So small sample and likely very short term, but I will dream the Reds have a young star #2 hitter until the cold shower of reality kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    For those unaware the Reds recently sent 17-year-old Alberti Chavez to Bakersfield from the AZL. He has all of 11 at bats over 4 games (he pinch ran one game). Still, he is the first 17-year-old in the California League since 2007. I just thought that was a cool little "stat".

Who was the other 17 year old?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Who was the other 17 year old?
    Carlos Triunfel.

10. Likes:

PepperJack (07-05-2013),RedEye (07-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?