Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Michael Lorenzen

Re: Michael Lorenzen

Here is a clip from Lorenzen's scoreless inning recently:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/26271672/v31399495

Is his delivery similar to Jeff Brantley or am I wrong? Who else throws like that?

BTW, he's not small. His wrists and forearms are not skinny like I'm used to seeing with younger pitchers. Strong looking kid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lorenzen just added a curve to his arsenal.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

"[Jacksonville] is a good fastball-hitting team and I knew that they were going to be all over my fastball," Lorenzen said. "This year, the biggest difference for me is I've been able to throw my secondary stuff. Today, I actually threw a curveball that I've been working on for the first time. I threw that a couple times at them just to get their eye levels changed. My secondary stuff was really working tonight to where they couldn't sit on the fastball."

An outfielder and part-time closer in college, Lorenzen is developing into a starter in the Cincinnati system and worked over the last few days to add a new dimension to his three-pitch mix.

"I just started working on [the curveball] like a week ago," Lorenzen said with a laugh. "I was watching [Cardinals starter Adam] Wainwright throw and [Dodgers starter Clayton] Kershaw throw, and they have these big, loopy curveballs. I was interested in throwing one, I really wanted to throw one.

"I watched some videos on Wainwright, how he gripped it, how he threw it. I got some input from a couple guys on the team, what they do when they throw it. I just started working on it last series, the day before I pitched. I threw it in the bullpen for the first time just three days ago and it was really good, so I threw it today and got a strikeout with it."

4. Likes:

Benihana (05-19-2014),BillDoran (05-19-2014),HokieRed (05-19-2014),mace (05-19-2014),OC_Red (05-19-2014),Old school 1983 (05-19-2014),RedlegJake (05-19-2014)

I think Lorenzens performance is kind of going under the radar this year. The guys fastball is fantastic. If he can add quality secondary stuff the Reds might really have something.

6. Likes:

mth123 (05-19-2014),PepperJack (05-19-2014)

[EDIT: Oops wrong thread; mods please feel free to delete]
    Go BLUE!!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Talent like that simply cannot be taught.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Why was Lorenzen only a "part-time" closer in college? Why wasn't he the full-time closer, while also playing OF? I don't get it. I understand wanting to use him as an outfielder and get his bat in the lineup every day if you're a college team. What I don't understand is the "part-time" closer stuff. You have a kid that can throw 95 that projects as a high MLB draft pick as a pitcher, and you only use him as a "part-time" closer? That just seems like wasting his talent if you're that college team. Was the coach's son the full-time closer? (TIC.)

They may have been bringing him on slowly as he primarily was a position player in High School. According to Fullerton High School he only pitched his junior and sophomore years in High School for a total of 15 innings. I would imagine he was primarily recruited for his bat and he opened some eyes with his raw ability to pitch.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?