Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Michael Lorenzen

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Michael Lorenzen

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Can we really draw that deep a conclusion from 17 innings? He's obviously high risk, so maybe we're not as far off in opinion as it seems, but I'm a little hesitant to knock a college closer/outfielder for a few rough starts in a league of players well beyond his level of experience.
    Conclusion, of course not. But his time in Bakersfield, Pensacola and Arizona were good for 29 innings and 23 walks. He allowed 6 homers and 41 hits en route to an ERA of 9.00. Small sample size, absolutely. Concerning? Absolutely.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Conclusion, of course not. But his time in Bakersfield, Pensacola and Arizona were good for 29 innings and 23 walks. He allowed 6 homers and 41 hits en route to an ERA of 9.00. Small sample size, absolutely. Concerning? Absolutely.
    Yet he's in major league spring training and Bryan Price is speaking positively about his stuff. That's testimony that means something, in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yet he's in major league spring training and Bryan Price is speaking positively about his stuff. That's testimony that means something, in my book.
    The testimony doesn't sound any different than it did at draft time though, it is just coming from a different mouth. Chris Buckley and Jeff Graupe were saying the exact same things as Price is now, but back in June and July. Scouts were saying it in April and May when he was in college. He is in big league camp, which I guess is a difference. But it doesn't really change much for me. It doesn't really have much to do with his stuff or the concerns he left me with because of his performance last year.

At this point I am totally confused about the Reds' plan for him. Last year I thought they rushed him as a reliever as a long shot to help them in September. When he failed to produce as a starter in the Fall League, I figured it was because he was working on secondary pitches. A caller asked about him on MLB radio today and the opinion was offered that he had good stuff, but poor mechanics and that he was strictly a reliever.

It seems to me that it is time to make a decision...continue with the starter transition and the slow path to the majors, go ahead and make him a reliever now, or even opt for outfield. I get the uncomfortable feeling that a good talent is being mishandled.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    At this point I am totally confused about the Reds' plan for him. Last year I thought they rushed him as a reliever as a long shot to help them in September. When he failed to produce as a starter in the Fall League, I figured it was because he was working on secondary pitches. A caller asked about him on MLB radio today and the opinion was offered that he had good stuff, but poor mechanics and that he was strictly a reliever.

It seems to me that it is time to make a decision...continue with the starter transition and the slow path to the majors, go ahead and make him a reliever now, or even opt for outfield. I get the uncomfortable feeling that a good talent is being mishandled.
    Starter for now is the plan. As always, you can fall back on the bullpen plan if plan A doesn't work.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...nclick_check=1

The Reds have told Lorenzen, a first-team All-American as an outfielder and closer at Cal State-Fullerton, that he's only pitching. His career as a center fielder -- a position many teams considered him as, despite his ability to throw in the high-90s -- is over.

"It's good for me, because I know for a fact that's what God has in store for me," Lorenzen said. "I'm not thinking that this door is still open, He's closed that door and so I'm full-bore now. It's a really good feeling having to focus on one thing and being committed. I see the progress a lot better versus having hitting in the back of my head."

"He doesn't look like a pitcher," Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco said. "He looks like more of an athlete-type guy, but sometimes that makes the best pitcher -- a guy that's that athletic, it's easier for them to repeat their delivery or the bunt play, that's something that makes it easier for that guy."

"He's got legs -- and he's (J.J.) Hoover arms, those things are stout," catcher Corky Miller said. "He's real smooth, all the way to the end. His thing is going to be not to try to get his power from anything other than his legs and arms."

Still, the Reds see value in him as a starting pitcher and invited him to big league camp this spring with the idea of him starting. Although, that decision hasn't been made, Price said.

The environment in the Reds clubhouse has helped as well, as he said he's talked quite a bit to Reds left-hander Tony Cingrani, another former college closer turned starter by the Reds. Cingrani, taken in the third round of the 2011 draft, made his big-league debut in 2012 and was 7-4 with a 2.92 ERA in 23 games and 18 starts last season.

"I'm picking his brain," Lorenzen said. "We've been in the same situation as a college guy moving quick. He's been really good with me."

Ugh. I wish people would stop with the "former reliever Tony Cingrani" crap. He spent 4 years in college. He started for three of them. That isn't close to a reliever to starter transition.

9. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (02-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ugh. I wish people would stop with the "former reliever Tony Cingrani" crap. He spent 4 years in college. He started for three of them. That isn't close to a reliever to starter transition.
    Just for Doug...

Michael Lorenzen was a two-way player when the Reds selected him 38th overall in last year's draft, having served as an outfielder and closer for Cal State Fullerton. In a piece for Baseball America, C. Trent Rosencrans reported that the Reds have told Lorenzen he will focus on pitching, and not only that, but they value him as a starting pitcher. Lorenzen sounded pleased with the decision and has already been talking with college-closer-turned-starter Tony Cingrani in Spring Training. "I’m picking his brain," Lorenzen told Rosencrans. "We’ve been in the same situation as a college guy moving quick. He’s been really good with me."
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...ounding-issue/

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    It is essentially the same article from the Enquirer from C. Trent. He changed a few words around, but it is the same article.

I understand that Cingrani started 2 years in a junior college you probably couldn't find on google maps if you tried, but still, he started 3 of 4 years in college.

So with Lorenzen "officially a starter" at least for now, how would people rate our top 5 SP prospects? I'll go first:

Stephenson
    Holmberg
    Lorenzen
    Lively
    Travieso
    Go BLUE!!!

Stephenson, Travieso, Moscot, Lorenzen and Lively.

I would put Contreras ahead of Lorenzen if I believed he wanted to start, but from everything I have heard, it's not in his future.

Stephenson
    Holmberg
    Lively
    Rogers
    Guillon

I see Lorenzen and Contreras as bullpenners.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Stephenson
    Holmberg
    Lively
    Rogers
    Guillon

I see Lorenzen and Contreras as bullpenners.
    I think Lorenzen also winds up in the bullpen, but since they are trying to make it work, I kept him in my list. It's a long shot, which is why he is behind Moscot, who doesn't have the same stuff, but is much safer and still solid enough.

Stephenson

Holmberg
    Moscot
    Lively
    Rogers

Travieso jumps into this mix, behind RS and probably ahead of the others, if he has a solid year. Corcino could re-interject himself, as well. I think Lorenzen likely winds up in the pen with Contreras (heckuva future bp core right there). Right now I see RS as front end starter and the other as mid to backend rotation prospects.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Stephenson
    Holmberg
    Lively
    Moscot
    TBA

The Reds have so many arms who are on the starter/reliever cusp and who have a lot to prove in 2014 that I hesitate to name a #5 guy. If pushed, I'd probably take Rogers because I'm in wait-and-see mode with so many others, no one more than Lorenzen. When it comes to him, I just don't know. I don't even have expectations with him. Didn't like the little bit I saw last year. Hope he'll wipe the slate clean and we'll see someone far different in 2014. Don't know how to classify him. Don't know where to rank him. Don't know what kind of development arc to expect for him. I just pretend he's not in the system yet.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?