Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All Star Game Selection Thread

Re: All Star Game Selection Thread

Except for Bruce, the Reds that deserved it made the team. Bruce deserved it but there are quite a few good outfielders to choose. I'm not that disappointed. They can rest and get healthy for the 2nd half. Especially Choo needs the rest. I think playing an entire season in CF is going to take a toll on his legs. I think it may be already. So 4 days off should help him a lot.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    That's backwards, IMO. A late mad dash? What season are you watching? Bruce was bad in April, but has played at or near all-star caliber level ever since. Sure he's streaky, but his overall numbers definitely place him in the top echelon of NL outfielders. On the other hand, Choo played like an MVP the first three or four weeks of the season, but certainly hasn't been all-star caliber since. And his BA against lefties is about as bad as it gets. I'd like to have seen both selected, but Jay is more deserving, IMO.
    I think this is pretty much exactly what I wrote, wasn't it? Choo had the inside track but lost it; his numbers looked pretty good through May, IIRC, but June sank him. Bruce "staged a late mad dash" -- meaning he got hot later in the first half but didn't quite make it due to a cold start. His .294/.331/.624 June with 10 HR is what really put his numbers into All-Star contention IMO (although you are right, his May was pretty darn good too, just with a tad less HR power).
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-06-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Bruce has over 100 Ks this year and a BA below .280. The managers/leagues care about such stats, even though many on here don't.

Choo's BA is also in the .270s. I think he had a stronger case, the world should know how important OBP is. But too much competition, too low a BA.

Latos probably has the best argument. He's now 8-2 with very good peripheral stats and a low 3's ERA.

I'm sure MLB wanted Chapman, though. Aroldis is more of an exciting figure, with the velocity and all.

I never buy into this idea that managers select the teams. I think the reserves/pitchers are selected more by MLB. Guys like Chapman make it because MLB insists. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I never buy into this idea that managers select the teams. I think the reserves/pitchers are selected more by MLB. Guys like Chapman make it because MLB insists. Just my opinion.
    When you write "MLB," do you mean Selig? Or is it just some sort of conventional wisdom groupthink that combines marketing priorities with a popularity contest?

Bruce has over 100 Ks this year and a BA below .280. The managers/leagues care about such stats, even though many on here don't.

Choo's BA is also in the .270s. I think he had a stronger case, the world should know how important OBP is. But too much competition, too low a BA.

Latos probably has the best argument. He's now 8-2 with very good peripheral stats and a low 3's ERA.

I'm sure MLB wanted Chapman, though. Aroldis is more of an exciting figure, with the velocity and all.

I had wondered whether Latos might have made it if the selections had been a day later. I know wins aren't very meaningful, but counting stats tend to catch people's eyes when they're putting all-star teams together.

I'm disappointed Bruce didn't make it, but this isn't infuriating like Cueto's snub last year was.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The results were as expected. Joey, Brandon and of course, Chapman. We have a higher opinion of the rest of our roster, as to be expected. Latos has been uneven. Leake is not respected, and Bailey is, like Latos. Jay is Jay and streaky and we know Bochy has no love for the rest of our guys. I don't have much regard for the AS game anyway. I see a time where the players get time off and it makes no difference in the whole scheme of things. I don't even watch the game anymore, just like I don't watch the NBA and NFL games. So, let them play and let's get back to real baseball
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

8. Likes:

Big Klu (07-07-2013),dubc47834 (07-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    When you write "MLB," do you mean Selig? Or is it just some sort of conventional wisdom groupthink that combines marketing priorities with a popularity contest?
    I don't know that Selig personally is involved. But the All Star game is a showcase, there are marketing and TV ratings involved. Unlike the playoffs, the leagues can pick anyone they want. I highly doubt they simply leave it to Bruce Bochy or other baseball managers.

This is just my conjecture, I obviously don't know. Not saying the manager has no role, but I've felt for many years there was influence by MLB. A selection like Chapman would appear to be more than just the manager's influence.

I don't know that Selig personally is involved. But the All Star game is a showcase, there are marketing and TV ratings involved. Unlike the playoffs, the leagues can pick anyone they want. I highly doubt they simply leave it to Bruce Bochy or other baseball managers.

This is just my conjecture, I obviously don't know. Not saying the manager has no role, but I've felt for many years there was influence by MLB. A selection like Chapman would appear to be more than just the manager's influence.
    Yeah, that seems reasonable to me. Bochy probably has a good deal of input, but he probably also doesn't have the final say. Perhaps his list of reserves gets a final look by Selig and the higher-up execs at MLB. Chapman is the type of player you want in the All-Star "showcase", that's for sure.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, that seems reasonable to me. Bochy probably has a good deal of input, but he probably also doesn't have the final say. Perhaps his list of reserves gets a final look by Selig and the higher-up execs at MLB. Chapman is the type of player you want in the All-Star "showcase", that's for sure.
    It is interesting and not as far-fetched as "man never landed on the moon". However, the managers of the respective teams get all the flack for selecting or not selecting certain people. Why in the world would they subject themselves to this if they are not doing the selections? We all know that there is much more complaining for non-selections than there are compliments for selections. I am not sure I believe in the managers are being good company-men and following orders with the ruse. And Chapman is a pretty decent LOOGY to have at your disposal for any MLB manager in a game that requires zero staffing concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    It is interesting and not as far-fetched as "man never landed on the moon". However, the managers of the respective teams get all the flack for selecting or not selecting certain people. Why in the world would they subject themselves to this if they are not doing the selections? We all know that there is much more complaining for non-selections than there are compliments for selections. I am not sure I believe in the managers are being good company-men and following orders with the ruse. And Chapman is a pretty decent LOOGY to have at your disposal for any MLB manager in a game that requires zero staffing concerns.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think Chapman is a worthy candidate for this year's game. I just think he's also a marketing dream (Mr. 106 and all). So I would imagine that, all else being equal, he'll get the call over some other guy who throws a "mere" 95.

I think it is the manager's call mostly. But I also think he must do it in consultation with others. There has to be someone who at least looks over the list, right? Someone who just checks that all teams have at least one player and everything? Probably the same moment when the list of 5 fan vote-ins is selected as well, I would imagine.

But yeah, all conjecture on my part. Just seems reasonable for a game that is also a major PR moment during the season.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course this all gets back to the idea that you shouldn't base a trade based on what happens after, but what happened when it happened. No one expected Wood to be what he was and no one expected Marshall to be injured.
    What, what? Of course you should judge a trade AFTER it happens. Usually about 5 years after the fact is best, so we're still 2-3 years away from that for the Wood/Marshall trade, but I'm confident in saying the Cubs won that one big time.

Doug, your rationale is baffling. It would be akin to a college football or college basketball fan saying "You don't judge a recruiting class on what they accomplish after they sign with the school, you judge the recruiting class based on what they did in high school."

Or, to use a professional sports example, it would be like you saying, "You don't judge a free agent signing on what happens after the signing, you judge it based on what happened before the contract was signed." Because, I'm sure the Angels are loving all those stats Pujols put up for the Cardinals. That sure is helping them now that he stinks.

I will say whoever was responsible for trading Frank Robinson years ago is fully on board with not judging trades after they happen.

Wow, Doug. Will give you a mulligan on this one I suppose. But of course the best way to judge trades is after they happen. And sports fans/media do it all the time. We look back on trades and judge who won. Example: The Latos trade. We won that one.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Marty took pleasure in Piug (sp?) not being selected, what a jerk!
    I understand the excitement people have over Puig...but how in the world anybody can seriously consider him for the ASG is beyond me. He's been in the bigs for like 30 days. Think about that. Don't look at the stats. 4 weeks is all I need to know.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm happy that Aroldis mad it...but no way in the world he should have IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I understand the excitement people have over Puig...but how in the world anybody can seriously consider him for the ASG is beyond me. He's been in the bigs for like 30 days. Think about that. Don't look at the stats. 4 weeks is all I need to know.
    On the other hand, who has had a bigger impact on the NL West race and, I think eventually, the wild card race? The Dodgers were dead. Puig came, went nuts and breathed life into that team. My bet is that they win the West and possibly push a team like Arizona into a wild card spot ahead of one of the Central teams.

He's been a real life version of Roy Hobbs, having an impact that elevates a dead team to championship contention. I like stats, but baseball is about winning games. I see him making a direct impact towards winning on the field game after game. To me that's more important looking at a stat sheet and reflecting back later.

I agree with the small sample size aspect of his stat line, but that's not why I'd take him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-07-2013)

Apparently, Bochy used Bruce as an example of one of those guys he considered, and had difficulty leaving off the reserve roster.

Turn Off Ads?