Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: ESPN Clown

  1. #31
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Cowherd is good at getting people upset about things. He's a shock jock. Absolutely no respect for the guy. A top notch creep.
    I don't listen to guys like Cowherd just because I'm not into their shock jock antics. Unfortunately, Marty seems to have morphed into the shock jock of baseball announcing. This is all a bunch of manufactured drama. I can't imagine some of the other Ford Frick award winning baseball announcers getting into a pissing match with a shock jock over something so trivial.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  2. Likes:

    mth123 (07-07-2013), REDREAD (07-09-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #32
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,323

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Dan Patrick is talented. Colin Cowherd is garbage.

  5. Likes:

    Playadlc (07-08-2013), RANDY IN INDY (07-07-2013), RedsfaninMT (07-07-2013)

  6. #33
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: ESPN Clown

    I dont mind Cowherd, you just have to realize going into it what he is. His job is to promote conversation, and he does an excellent job of that. I'm not a fan of his Patriots/Brady homerism, but he is great at what he does.

    Also, BOLO for the thread police, they are out in force!

  7. #34
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Dan Patrick is talented. Colin Cowherd is garbage.
    He's pretty bad but what bothers me most about him is when starts talking about how he gets something that the rest of just couldn't possibly understand because we're not him. If it wasn't for his affiliation with espn and all the guest he gets because of it I couldn't listen but as it is I do.

  8. #35
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,144

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Another Hate Marty thread develops. Daily event.

    Just might mention that I was stuck in a car with my LA Dodger buddy. He has that Sirius-XM team channel on the radio or his phone all the time. It was some callup show and the "fans" were just brutally dissing Vin Scully, which I consider blasphemy. I find a Dodger game on and I run for the TV just to listen. Familiarity breeds contempt. Marty is not much different than he ever was. And it wouldn't be Reds baseball without him or apparently this forum.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  9. Likes:

    dubc47834 (07-07-2013), jimbo (07-07-2013), RANDY IN INDY (07-07-2013)

  10. #36
    Member joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,050

    Re: ESPN Clown

    I'm more surprised Cowherd actually spoke about baseball. He's usually too busy drooling over big market NBA and NFL teams. His opinion about baseball is meaningless.

  11. Likes:

    marcshoe (07-07-2013), reds1869 (07-07-2013)

  12. #37
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,182

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Cowherd was pretty spot on when I heard his initial thoughts about Puig. Cowherd has come out and said it before, he talks about teams that get ratings. He talks about the Yankees and Red Sox because that is a large part of his listening audience. I even think he said once that he would love to talk hockey but people would turn the radio dial.

    In regards to the national audience MLB needs star power. Someone made the point that the most recognizable star in the game has yet to play a major league game this season. They also said that if Chris Davis walked down the street no one would notice. The MLB has a problem if you consider their star power. Star power plays over the networks. The reality is baseball has about a 1-2 month window when they are the only act in town. After that they take a backseat to the NBA playoffs, the NFL draft, preseason, and regular season, as well as college football.

  13. #38
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Cowherd was pretty spot on when I heard his initial thoughts about Puig. Cowherd has come out and said it before, he talks about teams that get ratings. He talks about the Yankees and Red Sox because that is a large part of his listening audience. I even think he said once that he would love to talk hockey but people would turn the radio dial.

    In regards to the national audience MLB needs star power. Someone made the point that the most recognizable star in the game has yet to play a major league game this season. They also said that if Chris Davis walked down the street no one would notice. The MLB has a problem if you consider their star power. Star power plays over the networks. The reality is baseball has about a 1-2 month window when they are the only act in town. After that they take a backseat to the NBA playoffs, the NFL draft, preseason, and regular season, as well as college football.
    MLB is suffering from the fallout of allowing the major networks covering baseball to become so focused on the Yankees and Red Sox. Great young players just don't get the coverage that players on the big two teams get. Meanwhile, the NFL and NBA do whatever they can to promote stars across the league, regardless of what team they play on.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  14. Likes:

    CarolinaRedleg (07-07-2013), dougdirt (07-07-2013), dubc47834 (07-07-2013), RedEye (07-07-2013), Revering4Blue (07-08-2013)

  15. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,082

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I'm more surprised Cowherd actually spoke about baseball. He's usually too busy drooling over big market NBA and NFL teams. His opinion about baseball is meaningless.
    I'd prefer he doesn't talk about baseball, because he doesn't know anything about it. I don't mind his NBA or college football talk, because that is what he knows best.

    Usually any host that is one man show has to create controversy, or else there is nothing to listen to other than a rambling one man show.

  16. #40
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    And I bet Marty is 100x better in his field than Cowherd is in his.
    Disagree, they're both good.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  17. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (07-08-2013)

  18. #41
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Are there many shock jocks who command respect? Just curious. I can't think of one. Their job is to earn our disrespect -- and get us to talk about it.

    The only thing Cowherd has earned from me is that I don't listen to his sad act. What a self righteous buffoon.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 07-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  19. #42
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,182

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    MLB is suffering from the fallout of allowing the major networks covering baseball to become so focused on the Yankees and Red Sox. Great young players just don't get the coverage that players on the big two teams get. Meanwhile, the NFL and NBA do whatever they can to promote stars across the league, regardless of what team they play on.
    I guess it is a problem on two fronts. For years MLB had allowed the collective imbalance to dictate where the "stars" went. For a decade + you had the best players going to the major markets because they could play them what the smaller markets could only dream of. The height of the craziness was when the Yankees signed 3 guys to $.5B in contracts. It dictated where the stars went and then where the coverage went.

    One issue with media coverage is baseball is becoming a lot like football in that arb years are bought out and every market is able to sign their star players. Most of the star players that end up hitting free agency are on the downside of their career. If you talked about the major media markets only the Red Sox are actually worth their weight. The talk has gone from actual baseball to dysfunction. ESPN did dictate quite a bit of time to Tebow and the dysfunctional Jets but once the season started they talked about what actually went on on the field of play.

  20. #43
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,094

    Re: ESPN Clown

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    The only thing Cowherd has earned from me is that I don't listen to his sad act. What a self righteous buffoon.
    Well, yeah, me too, that's how I feel. I'm not defending Cowherd, but that's the game he plays. There are enough folks out there who love to hate him -- and so keep listening -- that he gets the ratings he needs.

  21. Likes:

    RANDY IN INDY (07-07-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25