Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/7

Birthdays: 7/7

Reds:

Dave Burba (46) -Involved in two famous Reds trades: the Deion Sanders, and of course the Opening Day trade for Sean Casey. He got his revenge on the Reds that year in interleague play by pitching a complete game and hitting a homer against them.

Jeff Shaw (46) -Involved in another weird trade situation when he was selected for the All-Star Game in 1998, then was traded to the Dodgers on the first day of the break; so his first mound appearance as a Dodger was in the All-Star Game.

Others:

Chuck Knoblauch (44) -Through age 33 his stats were about the same as Craig Biggio's but they sure diverged from that point...Chuck was traded to the Yankees, didn't hit and developed a case of the throwing "yips". One of his errant throws supposedly hit Keith Olberman's mother in the stands..."Knoblauch" is German for "garlic"...

Tim Teufel (54) -"Teufel" on the other hand, is German for "devil", making Tim's ABs against Jim Gott kind of symbolic...Tim had his best years with the Mets, despite his name being an anagram for "futile Met"...

Billy Herman -HOFer, a .300 hitter and fancy-fielding 2B for the Cubs and Dodgers...Full name William Jennings Bryan Herman...In his first major league AB he fouled a ball off the plate that came up and hit him in the head, knocking him for a loop...His granddaughter Cheri Daniels is first lady of the state of Indiana.

Satchel Paige -Can't even begin to scratch the surface of this guy here...

George Moriarty -A fascinating guy...3B for the Tigers in the early 20th century...Became an umpire in 1917, then left umpiring to manage the Tigers (!) in 1927, and after two years returned to umpiring...A confrontational umpire who once took on three players in an on-field brawl and reportedly battled them to a standoff...Also holds the record for ejecting players from World Series games...Despite all this, in an anonymous poll players selected him as baseball's best umpire....He loved to steal home as a player (he did it 11 times), and was a big proponent of it later; Hank Greenberg remembers George coaching him on how to steal home while he was umpiring third base...He also wrote a newspaper column, poetry, and lyrics to popular songs...After his umpiring days he became a Tiger scout, and is credited with discovering Harvey Kuenn.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Birthdays: 7/7

In junior high school me and my baseball fan buddies used "Knoblauch" as a euphemism for....well, you figure it out.

Worth The Wait

My sister-in-law told us about some guy she was dating and when I met him for the first time he started talking baseball, which of course, was cool with me. However, people know me as a sports geek and I can always tell when someone is legit or if they are just making polite conversation. He told me he was a Mets fan and I immediately felt like testing him out. I used Tim Teufel as my reference...figured if he knew Teufel then he was OK. Sure enough, he was well versed in all things TT.

Later that night, I told my wife that my sister in law was going to marry that guy someday. I was right. Now, we all joke that "he had me at Teufel."

I've half-heartedly attempted to contact TT in hopes of getting him to sign a photo with that inscription...to no avail thus far.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Satchel Paige -Can't even begin to scratch the surface of this guy here...
    Satchel taught me a long time ago not to look back 'cause something might be gaining on me.

Turn Off Ads?