Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ESPN Clown

Re: ESPN Clown

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Cowherd is good at getting people upset about things. He's a shock jock. Absolutely no respect for the guy. A top notch creep.
    I don't listen to guys like Cowherd just because I'm not into their shock jock antics. Unfortunately, Marty seems to have morphed into the shock jock of baseball announcing. This is all a bunch of manufactured drama. I can't imagine some of the other Ford Frick award winning baseball announcers getting into a pissing match with a shock jock over something so trivial.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Likes:

mth123 (07-07-2013),REDREAD (07-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Dan Patrick is talented. Colin Cowherd is garbage.

5. Likes:

Playadlc (07-08-2013),RedsfaninMT (07-07-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I dont mind Cowherd, you just have to realize going into it what he is. His job is to promote conversation, and he does an excellent job of that. I'm not a fan of his Patriots/Brady homerism, but he is great at what he does.

Also, BOLO for the thread police, they are out in force!

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Dan Patrick is talented. Colin Cowherd is garbage.
    He's pretty bad but what bothers me most about him is when starts talking about how he gets something that the rest of just couldn't possibly understand because we're not him. If it wasn't for his affiliation with espn and all the guest he gets because of it I couldn't listen but as it is I do.

Another Hate Marty thread develops. Daily event.

Just might mention that I was stuck in a car with my LA Dodger buddy. He has that Sirius-XM team channel on the radio or his phone all the time. It was some callup show and the "fans" were just brutally dissing Vin Scully, which I consider blasphemy. I find a Dodger game on and I run for the TV just to listen. Familiarity breeds contempt. Marty is not much different than he ever was. And it wouldn't be Reds baseball without him or apparently this forum.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-07-2013),jimbo (07-07-2013)

I'm more surprised Cowherd actually spoke about baseball. He's usually too busy drooling over big market NBA and NFL teams. His opinion about baseball is meaningless.

11. Likes:

marcshoe (07-07-2013),reds1869 (07-07-2013)

Cowherd was pretty spot on when I heard his initial thoughts about Puig. Cowherd has come out and said it before, he talks about teams that get ratings. He talks about the Yankees and Red Sox because that is a large part of his listening audience. I even think he said once that he would love to talk hockey but people would turn the radio dial.

In regards to the national audience MLB needs star power. Someone made the point that the most recognizable star in the game has yet to play a major league game this season. They also said that if Chris Davis walked down the street no one would notice. The MLB has a problem if you consider their star power. Star power plays over the networks. The reality is baseball has about a 1-2 month window when they are the only act in town. After that they take a backseat to the NBA playoffs, the NFL draft, preseason, and regular season, as well as college football.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Cowherd was pretty spot on when I heard his initial thoughts about Puig. Cowherd has come out and said it before, he talks about teams that get ratings. He talks about the Yankees and Red Sox because that is a large part of his listening audience. I even think he said once that he would love to talk hockey but people would turn the radio dial.

In regards to the national audience MLB needs star power. Someone made the point that the most recognizable star in the game has yet to play a major league game this season. They also said that if Chris Davis walked down the street no one would notice. The MLB has a problem if you consider their star power. Star power plays over the networks. The reality is baseball has about a 1-2 month window when they are the only act in town. After that they take a backseat to the NBA playoffs, the NFL draft, preseason, and regular season, as well as college football.
    MLB is suffering from the fallout of allowing the major networks covering baseball to become so focused on the Yankees and Red Sox. Great young players just don't get the coverage that players on the big two teams get. Meanwhile, the NFL and NBA do whatever they can to promote stars across the league, regardless of what team they play on.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

14. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (07-07-2013),dougdirt (07-07-2013),dubc47834 (07-07-2013),RedEye (07-07-2013),Revering4Blue (07-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I'm more surprised Cowherd actually spoke about baseball. He's usually too busy drooling over big market NBA and NFL teams. His opinion about baseball is meaningless.
    I'd prefer he doesn't talk about baseball, because he doesn't know anything about it. I don't mind his NBA or college football talk, because that is what he knows best.

Usually any host that is one man show has to create controversy, or else there is nothing to listen to other than a rambling one man show.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    And I bet Marty is 100x better in his field than Cowherd is in his.
    Disagree, they're both good.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Are there many shock jocks who command respect? Just curious. I can't think of one. Their job is to earn our disrespect -- and get us to talk about it.

The only thing Cowherd has earned from me is that I don't listen to his sad act. What a self righteous buffoon.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 07-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    MLB is suffering from the fallout of allowing the major networks covering baseball to become so focused on the Yankees and Red Sox. Great young players just don't get the coverage that players on the big two teams get. Meanwhile, the NFL and NBA do whatever they can to promote stars across the league, regardless of what team they play on.
    I guess it is a problem on two fronts. For years MLB had allowed the collective imbalance to dictate where the "stars" went. For a decade + you had the best players going to the major markets because they could play them what the smaller markets could only dream of. The height of the craziness was when the Yankees signed 3 guys to $.5B in contracts. It dictated where the stars went and then where the coverage went.

One issue with media coverage is baseball is becoming a lot like football in that arb years are bought out and every market is able to sign their star players. Most of the star players that end up hitting free agency are on the downside of their career. If you talked about the major media markets only the Red Sox are actually worth their weight. The talk has gone from actual baseball to dysfunction. ESPN did dictate quite a bit of time to Tebow and the dysfunctional Jets but once the season started they talked about what actually went on on the field of play.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    The only thing Cowherd has earned from me is that I don't listen to his sad act. What a self righteous buffoon.
    Well, yeah, me too, that's how I feel. I'm not defending Cowherd, but that's the game he plays. There are enough folks out there who love to hate him -- and so keep listening -- that he gets the ratings he needs.

21. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?