Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else think this would help [Choo in LF, Robinson/Heisey in CF]

Does anyone else think this would help [Choo in LF, Robinson/Heisey in CF]

Why nit just play Robinson/HI-C in Center and let Choo move to left? I think each would be an upgrade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does anyone else think this would help

There really isn't any viable answer to this. Once Ludwick went down, the obvious course of action was to let Choo play a corner spot and give CF to more capable defenders, but I guess there's some patented Dusty stubbornness getting in the way. It's quite apparent to everyone in baseball that Choo is a weak CF, and considering that he's walking at the end of the year, it doesn't behoove us any to get him to "learn" it (even if by some mall miracle we do sign him, he'd likely be shifting to LF anyway to make room for Hamilton, unless they hold him off another season).

Any game played in an AL park should feature Choo at DH, does anyone doubt that?

I agree with the DH point. I just see Robinson making plays out there that are easy plays, and Choo making those same plays look like an adventure ride from hell.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    There really isn't any viable answer to this. Once Ludwick went down, the obvious course of action was to let Choo play a corner spot and give CF to more capable defenders, but I guess there's some patented Dusty stubbornness getting in the way. It's quite apparent to everyone in baseball that Choo is a weak CF, and considering that he's walking at the end of the year, it doesn't behoove us any to get him to "learn" it (even if by some mall miracle we do sign him, he'd likely be shifting to LF anyway to make room for Hamilton, unless they hold him off another season).

Any game played in an AL park should feature Choo at DH, does anyone doubt that?
    Depends whether it's a LHP or a RHP on the opposing team. Xavier Paul will be in there against RHP. If there is a DH, Paul is clearly the worst defender at any position on the roster and should be the DH when a RHP is on the mound. Choo would be the CF against RHP.

Against a lefty, I think I'd sit Choo all together. I'd go with Robinson in CF and Heisey in LF. When the clock strikes midnight on Robinson, I'd add Denis Phipps as the CF against LHP. Of course, I'd look for a RH Bat that can play all three spots and stick him in LF until Ludwick returns and move Heisey as the CF against LHP and leave Paul in a PH role. Neither Robinson nor Phipps would be on the roster if they could add that bat.

Assuming they can add a bat, when Ludwick comes back, my new RH bat would be Choo's platoon partner against LHP, would play LF on the 2 days per week when Ludwick needs rest (which was the case before he was hurt) and he could even give Bruce a rest on occasion. The roster could get a little dicey at that point and there probably wouldn't be room for Heisey, but with rosters set to expand shortly after Ludwick is likely to return, they could manage through rotating guys like Heisey/Paul/Hannahan through the DL until September 1.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

When the clock strikes midnight on Robinson.
    In his last 69PA his line is: .194/.265/.290/.555. It might be a couple minutes after 12.

7. Likes:

BoxingRed (07-05-2013),Edd Roush (07-05-2013),Kiko (07-06-2013),mth123 (07-05-2013),RedEye (07-05-2013),Tom Servo (07-05-2013)

Robinson doesn't offer enough offense to garner that many ABs. He's a decent 5th OF / pinch runner on a good team. When Ludwick is back, that's his upside IMO.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-05-2013)

Please try and be more descriptive in thread titles. I have added to this one for clarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

11. Likes:

jojo (07-07-2013),redsfandan (07-05-2013)

Re: Does anyone else think this would help [Choo in LF, Robinson/Heisey in CF]

I have been beating this drum since Ludwick got hurt, but it sounds like Ludwick will be playing in rehab games by the end of the month, so moving Choo to LF and then back to CF doesn't make much sense anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'd rather have the OF go back to its pre-injury plan when Ludwick is back. That means Heisey as the primary 4th guy if possible.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I just wish we would have gotten Fowler this past off-season. I believe there was talk of that.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    I just wish we would have gotten Fowler this past off-season. I believe there was talk of that.
    Probably would have cost one of if not a couple of the following. Bailey, Leake and Cingrani. After the way season has worked out very glad they didn't trade any pitching for offense.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-05-2013)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I have been beating this drum since Ludwick got hurt, but it sounds like Ludwick will be playing in rehab games by the end of the month, so moving Choo to LF and then back to CF doesn't make much sense anymore.
    When it gets right down to it, the Reds expected (and continue to expect) these things:

1. Ludwick will be back at some point
    2. The Reds figure to make the postseason
    3. Therefore, Choo is going to be the Reds' postseason center fielder

So it was a question of whether the Reds were willing to live with a less-than-optimal defensive alignment for a significant portion of the season in order to give Choo as much experience as possible in center field because that's where he's going to be for the playoffs. Clearly, their answer was yes.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I would like to know what we are going to do next year, because imo Derrick Robinson is giving us a preview of Hamilton. I know Hamilton is faster, but he doesn't offer much more offensively. If we lose Choo, and Ludwick doesn't get back to form we will be looking at a very bad offensive outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    I would like to know what we are going to do next year, because imo Derrick Robinson is giving us a preview of Hamilton. I know Hamilton is faster, but he doesn't offer much more offensively.
    Robinson is a career .255 hitter in the minors with a .321 OBP and .645 OPS. Hamilton, still at just age 22, is a career .281 hitter in the minors with a .354 OBP and a .735 OPS. Also Hamilton has over 50 more stolen bases in 200 less games than Robinson. Those are notably better offensive numbers.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Robinson is a career .255 hitter in the minors with a .321 OBP and .645 OPS. Hamilton, still at just age 22, is a career .281 hitter in the minors with a .354 OBP and a .735 OPS. Also Hamilton has over 50 more stolen bases in 200 less games than Robinson. Those are notably better offensive numbers.
    I understand that he will swipe more bases, but Robinson's MLB numbers this season .261 avg 341 obp .672 ops versus Hamilton at AAA .247 .302 .645. I just don't expect Hamilton to come in and do much more than Robinson has besides steals.

Turn Off Ads?