Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Clown

Re: ESPN Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I used to be one on Marty's side on a lot of stuff. I used to think that Marty's detractors were over reacting in their criticism of him. But over the last couple years I've found whenever I listen to Marty he goes off on something so ridiculous that I have to stop listening. I watch most games after they're over. Most games I could listen to in real time but I usually don't and if I'm honest it's because of Marty. And that's sad because I grew up listening to him.
    I agree with you 100%, Razor, except I jumped off the Marty bandwagon 2 or 3 years earlier than you did. He's not the same announcer he once was. I used to listen to the radio broadcasts on a daily basis, but not anymore. I don't even remember the last time I did, and it's because of Marty.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm disappointed. When I read the title I thought that ESPN had adopted a new, appropriate, mascot.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (07-07-2013),Crumbley (07-07-2013),Larkin Fan (07-07-2013),Norm Chortleton (07-07-2013),RedEye (07-06-2013),RiverRat13 (07-06-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-07-2013),WVRedsFan (07-07-2013)

Marty aside, Cowherd is worthless. SVP 100X > Cowherd

6. Likes:

dougdirt (07-07-2013),GradyHatton (07-07-2013),icehole3 (07-07-2013),Norm Chortleton (07-07-2013),Tony Cloninger (07-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Clown?

I got to stand and talk with Max Patkin for a while during a rain delay once. I think there were only five or so of us who stayed through the rain. I first saw him perform at, I think, the second minor league game I ever attended, and after that I made it a point to go when he was in town.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

Always Red (07-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    To be fair, we don't know it was him. My bad for perpetuating that piece of non-info. OP needs to fatten up his content a bit in the future...
    OP was asking who the clown was. Sounds like he gave all the content he knew, and was hoping somebody else could fill him in on the drama.

10. Likes:

Hubba (07-07-2013),icehole3 (07-07-2013),New York Red (07-07-2013)

Worth The Wait

In this debate Cowherd also compared the powers that be in MLB to the Republican Party. I found it to be an interesting (and accurate) analogy. Not trying to turn this political at all, just pointing out a reason I enjoy listening to him even when I disagree with his take.

Marty.... Ugh. He's pretty unbearable. He is still very good at play by play when he actually cares to do so. He is as smooth and confident as it gets, but he strays so often and his old school mantra is so played out.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Interestingly, Cowherd has often talked about how he grew up a big Reds fan -- despite growing up in the Pacific NW -- because of the BRM.

I haven't listened to Cowherd at all this week and rarely hear Marty (unless I'm in the car) because I watch all the games, so I had no idea they were/are feuding. That's hilarious (sad?).

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Cowherd's excellent for college football and some NFL stuff, but is clueless on baseball. Proved that a couple of years ago during Votto's MVP season calling him "overrated" and supporting his being left off the initial All-Star vote.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

And I'll bet that at least 10x more people listen to Colin Cowherd's radio show on a hundred or so radio affiliates across the country than listen to the average Reds game.
    And wake me up when Colin Cowherd gets to half - HALF - of the HOF career that Marty has. Frankly, this is comparing blueberries to skyscrapers, and Marty isn't the blueberry.

Colin Cowherd = lol

15. Likes:

icehole3 (07-07-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    And wake me up when Colin Cowherd gets to half - HALF - of the HOF career that Marty has. Frankly, this is comparing blueberries to skyscrapers, and Marty isn't the blueberry.

Colin Cowherd = lol
    You are right, it is comparing blueberries to skyscrapers. They can't really be compared because they are in two entirely different fields. With that said, Cowherd, as much as I am not a fan of him, is one of the best in the world at his job. He works at the largest sports radio place in the world and has a prime slot doing so. Love him or hate him, it doesn't matter, he is near the top of his profession.

Marty Brennemen, who I also am not much of a fan of, is also one of the best in the world at his job. He has one of what, 80 jobs in the world available for calling a Major League Baseball game?

Cowherd is good at getting people upset about things. He's a shock jock. Absolutely no respect for the guy. A top notch creep.

18. Likes:

Always Red (07-07-2013),icehole3 (07-07-2013),marcshoe (07-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Cowherd is good at getting people upset about things. He's a shock jock. Absolutely no respect for the guy. A top notch creep.
    Are there many shock jocks who command respect? Just curious. I can't think of one. Their job is to earn our disrespect -- and get us to talk about it.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Cowherd is good at getting people upset about things. He's a shock jock.
    This. And I find it funny that people get upset at "these types". Jim Rome is another one that comes to mind. I'd guess that they (those saying it on TV/radio) do not believe over 1/2 of what they say. I'd also guess that more than 1/2 of what they say is scripted by someone else. But the job pays well and a lot of us would do the same for a living if given the opportunity.

Reality TV for sports fans... except most is not real. Survivor, Big Brother, Beauty and the Geek, Jim Rome, Colin Cowherd. LOL

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

Colin Cowherd = lol
    You're moving the goalposts into the blueberry patch here. Your boy Marty is the one who made the standard of quality equal number of listeners. Read the paraphrase in the OP. He can't win that argument with a raw comparison of listeners.

Maybe he'll try comparing paychecks next?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    OP was asking who the clown was. Sounds like he gave all the content he knew, and was hoping somebody else could fill him in on the drama.
    Yeah, no worries. Just trying to give some constructive feedback. A better thread title would have helped, that's all. And short of more info, this is really a query that could have gone either in the Marty thread or the Puig one....
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?