Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: Why all the outrage over Bruce but no one seems upset that Choo didn't make All-Star?

  1. #16
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,759

    Re: Why all the outrage over Bruce but no one seems upset that Choo didn't make All-S

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    The Farce is that Chapman made the roster over Leake or Latos, both of them having much better seasons...
    True.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    814

    Re: Why all the outrage over Bruce but no one seems upset that Choo didn't make All-S

    Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    many a player has been platooned over less.
    It is because their numbers against RHP don't make up for those against LHP like Choo's does so that their overall numbers aren't as good as Choo's.
    How good Choo is against RHP?

    `08: .317 .413 .579 .992
    `09: .312 .406 .504 .910
    `10: .319 .433 .566 .999
    `11: .254 .347 .410 .757(Injury-riddled season)
    `12: .327 .403 .523 .926
    `13: .335 .472 .586 1.058

    His OBP, SLG and OPS are all #1 in NL(Votto is #2 in OPS with .983) and #3 in OPS in all of baseball.(only behind Davis and Cabrera)
    Overall? #9 in NL and #18 in MLB.

    And, don't forget a fact that at-bats vs RHP is about twice as many as at-bats vs LHP.(the number vs RHP is way important than that of LHP)

    There is no manager who will or can platoon him out.
    Why? It is because he is a everyday player.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flipadelphia
    Posts
    3,838

    Re: Why all the outrage over Bruce but no one seems upset that Choo didn't make All-S

    Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    It is because their numbers against RHP don't make up for those against LHP like Choo's does so that their overall numbers aren't as good as Choo's.
    How good Choo is against RHP?

    `08: .317 .413 .579 .992
    `09: .312 .406 .504 .910
    `10: .319 .433 .566 .999
    `11: .254 .347 .410 .757(Injury-riddled season)
    `12: .327 .403 .523 .926
    `13: .335 .472 .586 1.058

    His OBP, SLG and OPS are all #1 in NL(Votto is #2 in OPS with .983) and #3 in OPS in all of baseball.(only behind Davis and Cabrera)
    Overall? #9 in NL and #18 in MLB.

    And, don't forget a fact that at-bats vs RHP is about twice as many as at-bats vs LHP.(the number vs RHP is way important than that of LHP)

    There is no manager who will or can platoon him out.
    Why? It is because he is a everyday player.
    The Reds don't platoon players all that often, but when a player gets platooned it's because they are awful against a certain type of pitcher LH/RH, which Choo is.

    Plenty managers will sit a player who struggles 1/3 of the time, which Choo does.

    Choo has been a fantastic lead off hitter, and a great trade for the Reds, that said he has flaws. Less than a lot of his teammates, but flaws nonetheless.

    That said I agree Dusty will not sit him, just move him down as he has done a few times. Although I don't get why it i just to the second spot, you might as wll not move him down at all.


    Also you should print your posts and sent them to Boras as a resume.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    814

    Re: Why all the outrage over Bruce but no one seems upset that Choo didn't make All-S

    Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    The Reds don't platoon players all that often, but when a player gets platooned it's because they are awful against a certain type of pitcher LH/RH, which Choo is.

    Plenty managers will sit a player who struggles 1/3 of the time, which Choo does.
    You are wrong there. Don't you get it?

    Players get platooned because they are awful against LHP and not that good even
    agianst RHP so that overall numbers are not good.
    Players don't get platooned even if they are awful against LHP because they
    are excellent against RHP so that overall numbers are still good.

    I have also said like this.
    "It is because their numbers against RHP don't make up for those against LHP like Choo's
    does so that their overall numbers aren't as good as Choo's."

    And, are you saying that other managers will or can platoon him out? You want to bet?

    other managers, Eric Wedge and Manny Acta, did not platoon Choo out even if his numbers vs
    LHP were pretty bad(.670 in `10, .688 in `11, .604 in `12) because his numbers vs RHP made
    up for the numbers vs LHP.

    For example, Andre Ethier is also terrible against the lefty like Choo(his carrer ops vs
    LHP is .645 while Choo's is .672), but he is not a platoon player and the manager
    does not and can not platoon him out.
    Why? Because, Just like Choo, his numbers vs RHP make up for the numbers vs LHP so that
    overall numbers are still good.

    Choo: .851(.931 vs R, .672 vs L)
    Ethier: .830(.905 vs R, .645 vs L)
    Bruce: .814(.838 vs R, .760 vs L)

    Which one do you think is better number? At-bats vs R = at-bats vs L X 2.

    Do you think that managers will or can platoon out Choo or Ethier who is a better player
    than Bruce while Bruce plays everday.
    Are you saying that Choo is a platoon player while Cozart or Fraizer or etc is a everyday
    player?

    Finally, I think that You don't understand a simple fact that in case of platooning Choo
    out vs L, the disbenefits outweigh the benefits.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flipadelphia
    Posts
    3,838

    Re: Why all the outrage over Bruce but no one seems upset that Choo didn't make All-S

    Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    You are wrong there. Don't you get it?

    Players get platooned because they are awful against LHP and not that good even
    agianst RHP so that overall numbers are not good.
    Players don't get platooned even if they are awful against LHP because they
    are excellent against RHP so that overall numbers are still good.

    I have also said like this.
    "It is because their numbers against RHP don't make up for those against LHP like Choo's
    does so that their overall numbers aren't as good as Choo's."

    And, are you saying that other managers will or can platoon him out? You want to bet?

    other managers, Eric Wedge and Manny Acta, did not platoon Choo out even if his numbers vs
    LHP were pretty bad(.670 in `10, .688 in `11, .604 in `12) because his numbers vs RHP made
    up for the numbers vs LHP.

    For example, Andre Ethier is also terrible against the lefty like Choo(his carrer ops vs
    LHP is .645 while Choo's is .672), but he is not a platoon player and the manager
    does not and can not platoon him out.
    Why? Because, Just like Choo, his numbers vs RHP make up for the numbers vs LHP so that
    overall numbers are still good.

    Choo: .851(.931 vs R, .672 vs L)
    Ethier: .830(.905 vs R, .645 vs L)
    Bruce: .814(.838 vs R, .760 vs L)

    Which one do you think is better number? At-bats vs R = at-bats vs L X 2.

    Do you think that managers will or can platoon out Choo or Ethier who is a better player
    than Bruce while Bruce plays everday.
    Are you saying that Choo is a platoon player while Cozart or Fraizer or etc is a everyday
    player?

    Finally, I think that You don't understand a simple fact that in case of platooning Choo
    out vs L, the disbenefits outweigh the benefits.


    First off I don't know why You are bringing Ethier into this, because with Puig, Kemp, and Crawford he is a 4th outfielder on his own team now. The Dodgers have throw away money, and are rumored to be willing to eat a lot of his contract just to move him. Because they gave him a 5yr/85m deal, which it seems they now regret.

    I'm not going to keep discussing with you how bad Choo is against LHP, because as I have said in every single one of my posts I like him as a player, and I am glad he is on the Reds. He is very bad against LHP, he is working to get better, I hope he does while he is with the Reds.


    I'm not trying to run Choo down the way you are Bruce.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    532

    Re: Why all the outrage over Bruce but no one seems upset that Choo didn't make All-S

    Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    As far as Choo's splits against LHP/RHP, they are significant and many a player has been platooned over less.
    I get the concern over his lefty deficiencies. In a clutch situation it makes it easy for another team to figure out how to get him out.

    However, just a casual review of his career and this season stats and his OBP aren't too discouraging. Everyone wants the hit, but the most important thing a batter can do is not get an out right? (ala Billy Beane). His OBP vs Lefties for the career has been good, and this season he's done pretty average of making it on base against lefty starters.

    I'm not sure what he can do to improve his vs LHP BA/OPS... but right now it looks like he tries to crowd the box to induce more balls or HBP. It's a band aid but it has it's dangers.... like when his thumb was shatter from an inside and high in Cleveland.

    He definitely needs to work on the lefty split... it limits the value he can pull in a FA market, and is a glaring liability in clutch situations. BP are brimming with relief pitchers that throw hard with killer pitches... and many times there are a few lefties in there. Doesn't make it hard to figure out what do with Choo in a clutch situation.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25