Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 7/7/2013 Reds v. Mariners

Re: 7/7/2013 Reds v. Mariners

Cozart really loves hitting right to the shortstop, doesn't he

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Unacceptable in a pennant race. Cannot see Walt standing pat here.
    He has left us hanging out to dry three years in a row. Why is there reason to believe he will make a move this year with what is reportedly a much worse buyer's market?

I appreciate what the guy has done to transform this organization and build around starting pitching, but we've had constant lineup issues the entire time he's been here that never seem to be resolved.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    First 3-ball count all day from Saunders.

REDS are so aggressive as hitters. That's why they suffer w/ RISP. Without Votto and Choo, the rest of the team is just impatient. Jay Bruce aside, too, though, as Bruce has been effective with his pitch selection this season.

Dusty hates the walk. As long as Dusty Manages here, this is the way it's always going to be.
    If that was the case...Votto and Choo would have stopped walking. Frazier has also been way better than Cozart at taking pitches, when he does lay off pitches.

The issue is pitch selection when swinging the bat....seeing this team this team enough times...they guess and guess and guess more than half the time wrong when they swing or when they take a fat pitch down the middle.

Bad pitch recognition is more of an issue than just working walks or counts.

The Cardinals are not waking at all...... so not walking or taking more pitches is not always the issue.

5. Likes:

mth123 (07-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Teams are just punishing Choo, Votto, and Bruce with LH relievers right now because they have no fear whatsoever of Cozart and Phillips.
    This times 100.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I really hate the fact that Cozart looks like he is going to be the Reds SS for the next few years.
    It's not his position, or his playing time. It's the fact that he's being used as a square peg.

Zach is a slick fielder with a little bit of pop. Nothing else, and it's not his fault.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-07-2013),Red Raindog (07-07-2013),Tom Servo (07-07-2013)

team looks hangover happy today
    Last edited by holster10; 07-07-2013 at 03:39 PM.

St. Louis up 3-2 in the 4th
    Pittsburgh down 2-1 in the 4th
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    If that was the case...Votto and Choo would have stopped walking. Frazier has also been way better than Cozart at taking pitches, when he does lay off pitches.

The issue is pitch selection when swinging the bat....seeing this team this team enough times...they guess and guess and guess more than half the time wrong when they swing or when they take a fat pitch down the middle.

Bad pitch recognition is more of an issue than just working walks or counts.

The Cardinals are not waking at all...... so not walking or taking more pitches is not always the issue.
    All very true, but if you're not taking any pitches, you're not allowing yourself the opportunity to be selective and guess correctly. To guess correctly, you have to be setting the pitcher up.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    He has left us hanging out to dry three years in a row. Why is there reason to believe he will make a move this year with what is reportedly a much worse buyer's market?

I appreciate what the guy has done to transform this organization and build around starting pitching, but we've had constant lineup issues the entire time he's been here that never seem to be resolved.
    I couldn't agree more. Lineup and bench issues.

Knowing the SS hits second in a Baker lineup, Jocketty has to do something at SS.

But then he sat on Stubbs for two full years.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Wow. Didn't know Chapman was still around.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I'm usually fairly even keeled about a loss in July.

Why is this one sticking in my craw so much?

I'm quietly cursing the screen at my local watering hole with every out.
    Because the Mariners are an absolutely pathetic team, the Reds caught their 3-5 starters, and have looked like hot garbage against Aaron Harang and Joe Saunders, the best tandem 2007 has to offer.

The Reds need to send Cozart to the minor leagues so he can get his head straight. The guy right now is humiliating himself against major league pitching, and he is hurting the offense of a contending team. It's not good for him or for the club to have him going out there and hitting second every night. It's not ideal, but some combination of Izturis, Hannahan, and Jason Donald ought to be able to man the pump for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Wow. Didn't know Chapman was still around.
    This seems to me to be a "we have to use him some time" appearance.

I am sick of his approach at the plate. I am sick of his off balance swing which leads to popups to the infield or bouncing grounders to short.

I don't want a .260 OBP in the 2 or 8th hole in the lineup. Do you really want Cozart and the pitcher hitting back to back? That's like two pitchers.

There is no spot in the lineup I want Cozart hitting. Because I don't want to see him hit period.

17. Likes:

malcontent (07-07-2013)

Pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Knowing the SS hits second in a Baker lineup, Jocketty has to do something at SS.
    Like what?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?