Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dumb question, what about bringing up Hamilton?

dumb question, what about bringing up Hamilton?

Cut Cesar Izturis, I know I'm a stupid idiot.
    Last edited by icehole3; 07-09-2013 at 04:52 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: dumb question, what about bringing up Hamilton?

You would only bring him up if he was going to play everyday, I think. So it wouldn't be Izturis leaving it would probably be Robinson and either move Choo or Hamilton. Don't see it being an upgrade or making sense in Hamilton's development.

I am a big fan of bringing up these young superstars and seeing what they are made of...tell him up front it is a 30 day trial so he can see what adjustsments need to be made....I have said that for years, keeping guys locked up in the minors where they hate the atmosphere does not a whole lot for their devolopment after a few years in the minors....Billy knows mentally what he needs to do so let him see it up close and personal and give him a shot....at the end of the 30 days if he is not truly making huge strides, send him back down and move on.....the guy is not going to lose out on his mental makeup in 30 days, if anything it will give him a taste of what its like and make him strive to get there quicker......

I have just never been a fan of letting your future talent sit in the minors and face pitchers who are sometimes working on pitches or working on something particular other than what pitchers in the MLB are doing....sometimes guys feed off energy of other players and billy's speed alone and defense might be something that the other 8 guys playing that day might feed off of.....I honestly dont see the downside to giving it a shot.

5. Likes:

Ironman92 (07-09-2013),Tuff Nut (07-10-2013)

stats in 2013

avg obp slg ops
    .248 .302 .343 .645

he isnīt really mlb ready yet... it would be stupid to bring him up and sit him on the bench.. he wouldnīt get a every day job with the reds (he wouldnīt be an upgrade at all) and he wouldnīt be that much of a help on the bench either (late inning defensive replacement and pr..)

let him play every day in aaa => helps more..
    I donīt believe all the hype around him till I see his performance at the highest level..

7. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (07-09-2013),dubc47834 (07-09-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-09-2013),Kiko (07-09-2013),remdog (07-09-2013),TRF (07-09-2013)

I would be in favor of bringing up Josh Hamilton if he is in the Reds system but not Billy Hamilton. He is not ready. Give him until September or August 30 until he gets his taste.

Bryce Harper was batting .243 when the Nationals called him up.
    Yasiel Puig was batting .313 when he was called up..albiet OPS'ing .982
    Mike trout was batting .326 when called up
    Hanley Ramirez was batting .271 when called up
    Jurickson Profar was batting .278 and never batted above .281 in the minors and we treat him as prospect gold

my point is that prospects are not always going to light up the minor leagues....now, with that said I am sure I could find a quick half dozen prospects who tore up minor league pitching just as I found some that did not.....Billy Hamilton is not MLB ready, I think we all can agree with that.....but there is something about playing up with the big boys that can make or break you, and I dont think it will break Billy, he is good enough that even if he comes up here and fails, I dont see him dwelling on that for his entire career......sometimes calling up a young prospect is just the confidence said prospect needs to get over the hump.....playing in the minors is not fun regardless if you know your on a fast track to the Reds or not....Get him up here and lets see what he is made of and lets allow him to see what changes he needs to make to stay here.....

10. Likes:

toledodan (07-09-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Jurickson Profar was batting .278 and never batted above .281 in the minors and we treat him as prospect gold

my point is that prospects are not always going to light up the minor leagues....now, with that said I am sure I could find a quick half dozen prospects who tore up minor league pitching just as I found some that did not.....Billy Hamilton is not MLB ready, I think we all can agree with that.....but there is something about playing up with the big boys that can make or break you, and I dont think it will break Billy, he is good enough that even if he comes up here and fails, I dont see him dwelling on that for his entire career......sometimes calling up a young prospect is just the confidence said prospect needs to get over the hump.....playing in the minors is not fun regardless if you know your on a fast track to the Reds or not....Get him up here and lets see what he is made of and lets allow him to see what changes he needs to make to stay here.....
    I wouldn't be against this idea either. If nothing else, you get a big ball of energy to excite and liven up the club. There's nothing like some good ole' rookie hazing to get a club's collective minds off their struggles and bust some slumps. Dead serious.

12. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-10-2013),smixsell (07-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I wouldn't be against this idea either. If nothing else, you get a big ball of energy to excite and liven up the club. There's nothing like some good ole' rookie hazing to get a club's collective minds off their struggles and bust some slumps. Dead serious.

yeah could get the club and the fans some energy.. but could be the opposite aswell

if he gets called up and plays poorly (doesnīt get on base etc.), there will be a big disappointment by lots of fans (not everybody understands that he isnīt ready yet...)

It would be an absolute hail mary of desperation.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't work, but there's really no reason to believe it would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

15. Likes:

dfs (07-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    yeah could get the club and the fans some energy.. but could be the opposite aswell

if he gets called up and plays poorly (doesnīt get on base etc.), there will be a big disappointment by lots of fans (not everybody understands that he isnīt ready yet...)
    And don't forget about the clowns in the radio broadcast booth.
    If Hamilton comes up (even if it's next year) and doesn't immediately set the world on fire, King Marty is going to start badmouthing him and ruining the excitement he could bring to the fans..

Hamilton is not ready. At this point, Robinson is a better option.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

That pretty much dictates why this would be a bad idea. He's not an answer right now. We already have an out machine in the 2 hole and need a power hitter. Let him keep slow cooking in the crockpot.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I wouldn't have a problem with it. Heck if he can obp .300, play good D in center, so we can move Choo to LF, it would have a positive net at this point. BP's prospect book has him projected at a 2.4 WAR over a full season with an obp of .310 and a push on defense in CF if I remember correctly. I think his BR value on runs was something crazy like 14.

Odd timing now that Heisey is finally back and hitting.

I am a big fan of bringing up these young superstars and seeing what they are made of...tell him up front it is a 30 day trial so he can see what adjustsments need to be made....I have said that for years, keeping guys locked up in the minors where they hate the atmosphere does not a whole lot for their devolopment after a few years in the minors....Billy knows mentally what he needs to do so let him see it up close and personal and give him a shot....at the end of the 30 days if he is not truly making huge strides, send him back down and move on.....the guy is not going to lose out on his mental makeup in 30 days, if anything it will give him a taste of what its like and make him strive to get there quicker......

I have just never been a fan of letting your future talent sit in the minors and face pitchers who are sometimes working on pitches or working on something particular other than what pitchers in the MLB are doing....sometimes guys feed off energy of other players and billy's speed alone and defense might be something that the other 8 guys playing that day might feed off of.....I honestly dont see the downside to giving it a shot.
    Me too.....and I'll add that if he were to be brought up and unsuccessful and it was detrimental to his growth....he isn't mentally tough enough to ever make it work.

I still can't fathom how excited Dusty would be to have the fastest guy in baseball playing CF and not being able to hit.

I am curiou Ironman, where you got the idea Billy isn't mentally tough enough.

Turn Off Ads?