Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fay thinks the Reds will recall a catcher

Fay thinks the Reds will recall a catcher

RT @damongraham: think we will see corky tomorrow ?//Think we'll see him or Nevin Ashley. Meso could barely walk afterward.

The Reds don't have a catcher on the 40 man outside of Hanny/Mes, so all things being equal, I really hope it's Ashley and not Corky. I love Corky, but he looked as bad as any major leaguer I've ever seen in his brief stint earlier this season with the Reds, behind the plate and especially at the dish.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay thinks the Reds will recall a catcher

Olivo is now available. Is he worth picking up again? I doubt he's worse than Corky.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

smixsell (07-10-2013)

I hope it's Corky. He has 4.2 ip in 3 appearances this year. I want to see him pitch and catch in the same game with the big club.

6. Likes:

pahster (07-09-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (07-09-2013)

I think Mes was doing a brilliant Corky impression last night with his painful-looking, slow, awkward "run" to first base. Hope Mes's back wasn't injured further last night.

And I'm with you, I'd rather see what Ashley can do since we already know Corky will do.

It'll likely be Corky since he's already somewhat familiar with the pitching staff.

9. Likes:

Big Klu (07-09-2013),Redeyecat (07-09-2013)

With the offensive woes currently going on I hope it is anyone other than Corky.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    With the offensive woes currently going on I hope it is anyone other than Corky.
    It would be hard to get worse than what Hanigan has put up this year.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Listening to Jeff Brantley last night, I think he was ready to drive to Louisville and bring up a catcher himself. He was really empathizing with Mesoraco's back pain.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Truth is, I think, the purpose would be to get the club through the All Star break, so I think it's likely to be Miller since he knows the staff fairly well. The trick will be opening a roster spot, but there are guys on the fringe of the 40 man that can be jettisoned without risk of losing them (or no big loss if they're claimed).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It would be hard to get worse than what Hanigan has put up this year.
    Corky would be worse.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I think Mes was doing a brilliant Corky impression last night with his painful-looking, slow, awkward "run" to first base. Hope Mes's back wasn't injured further last night.

And I'm with you, I'd rather see what Ashley can do since we already know Corky will do.
    Ashley has a chance to hit a little, Miller can't, I'd much rather see Ashley.

Who knows, Ashley could OPS .700 and become the Reds' team leader among catchers.

Actually, if it were me, I'd DL both Hanigan and Mes and bring up both guys from AAA. All Star break reduces the impact of this move and gives the regular catchers a real chance to heal.

Team would live without the Mes/Hanigan hitting of 2013 for two weeks.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-09-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Truth is, I think, the purpose would be to get the club through the All Star break, so I think it's likely to be Miller since he knows the staff fairly well. The trick will be opening a roster spot, but there are guys on the fringe of the 40 man that can be jettisoned without risk of losing them (or no big loss if they're claimed).
    The Reds actually have a spot open, only 39 on the 40 man.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-09-2013),redsmetz (07-09-2013)

Calling up corky is pretty much saying we give up until are starters are back...and by then we will be so far out it wont even matter. I love corky..but hes had his time..throw the cleats up and retire you arent helping the Big League club when you are called up

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Calling up corky is pretty much saying we give up until are starters are back...and by then we will be so far out it wont even matter. I love corky..but hes had his time..throw the cleats up and retire you arent helping the Big League club when you are called up
    I would suggest this is a bit of hyperbole. A week of a journeyman catcher holding the spot to get the other catchers healthy up to and through the break isn't likely to sink a season. If it does, we're sunk already. I would disagree that we're in such a position. Sometimes you do something that's just running in place for a little bit. Loads of championship teams face this at some point in time.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-09-2013),joshua (07-09-2013),Redeyecat (07-09-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (07-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I would suggest this is a bit of hyperbole. A week of a journeyman catcher holding the spot to get the other catchers healthy up to and through the break isn't likely to sink a season. If it does, we're sunk already. I would disagree that we're in such a position. Sometimes you do something that's just running in place for a little bit. Loads of championship teams face this at some point in time.
    My point is why would you bring up a guy who wont help the team at all? He is 2 for 16 on the season and its not like the pitching is going to get any easier to hit. And not to forget his career batting average in the majors is .187. We are almost better off bringing up one of the younger guys to give them a little taste of what its like up here so they know what they have to do to get here again.

IDK. The way I see it. Corky cant hit, cant run, cant throw anyone out and is pretty slow and old behind the plate....so why bring him up?

Turn Off Ads?