Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: One simple fix that costs nothing

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

One simple fix that costs nothing

Get the guy with a .265 OBP out of the 2 hole or quit pretending that you're trying to contend for a championship.

Get the Taverases and Stubbs and Cozarts of the world out of the way of one of the best pure hitters of our generation and find someone -- ANYONE -- who will be on base more often.

There's 2-3 major fixes that need to happen to put the Reds in legitimate contention, but this is the one that doesn't cost you anything but normal brain function. Why has it not happened?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-07-2013),Boss-Hog (07-08-2013),cincy09 (07-08-2013),DocRed (07-08-2013),joshua (07-07-2013),malcontent (07-07-2013),max venable (07-08-2013),Reds/Flyers Fan (07-07-2013),reds44 (07-07-2013),redsfaninbsg (07-07-2013),RedsManRick (07-07-2013),RichRed (07-08-2013),Roy Tucker (07-08-2013),SirFelixCat (07-07-2013),Stingray (07-07-2013),TOBTTReds (07-08-2013),toledodan (07-07-2013),WVRedsFan (07-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: One simple fix that costs nothing

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Get the guy with a .265 OBP out of the 2 hole or quit pretending that you're trying to contend for a championship.

Get the Taverases and Stubbs and Cozarts of the world out of the way of one of the best pure hitters of our generation and find someone -- ANYONE -- who will be on base more often.

There's 2-3 major fixes that need to happen to put the Reds in legitimate contention, but this is the one that doesn't cost you anything but normal brain function. Why has it not happened?
    Dusty.

5. Likes:

herbdizzle (07-07-2013),joshua (07-07-2013),remdog (07-09-2013),toledodan (07-07-2013),WVRedsFan (07-07-2013)

boss hogg locked thread and infractions coming in 3..2..1..
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

To answer your question the same way Doug did (just with more words), because Dusty has this notion that Cozart should bat 2nd.

The real question is WHY does Dusty think Cozart should bat 2nd? I've never read any reason for this, has anyone else? I'm not comfortable saying "because he's stubborn." There must be some reason why Dusty thinks this is a good idea. I'm not saying his reason would make sense to anyone else, but he must have a reason.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    To answer your question the same way Doug did (just with more words), because Dusty has this notion that Cozart should bat 2nd.

The real question is WHY does Dusty think Cozart should bat 2nd? I've never read any reason for this, has anyone else? I'm not comfortable saying "because he's stubborn." There must be some reason why Dusty thinks this is a good idea. I'm not saying his reason would make sense to anyone else, but he must have a reason.
    It isn't just Dusty. But a lot of managers have it engrained in them that center fielders and shortstops bat at the top of the lineup.

It gets old defending Dusty's "everybody plays better when they know their role" crap around here.

- Cozart/Stubbs batting top of order
    - Catcher's bat 8th
    - Bullpen is used robotically
    - Chapman can only pitch 9th inning (and not more than 1 inning at a time)
    - Broxton is 8th inning regardless

Cozart has 2nd worst OBP for all NL players with 250 plate appearances. His is legit probably the bottom 10 hitters in NL. We need him at SS as we've got no other options, but we need him hitting back of order for sure and should be pursuing better options at SS as we can. In the offseason or at deadline, I'd be looking to flip some fringe guys (Soto, Heisey, Hoover/Simon, etc..) for a mediocre SS. Cozart has some value with his glove and he is dirt cheap...but as his price tag goes up...he is turning into Drew Stubbs part II.

10. Likes:

joshua (07-07-2013),RedEye (07-07-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

If your going to complain, whatnis your reasonable solution?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Exactly. Who do we bat second? Hanigan? Heisey? Give me a break. I can understand Paul, but do you REALLY want three lefties batting in a row when two of them can't hit lefties? I don't. Dusty catches way too much heat on this one. If we had a viable option to bat second and he was still slotting Cozart there, I'd be a lot more upset. But I don't see it. And I'm not a fan of BP hitting second in this current lineup. Yes, Bruce could hit fourth. But who hits fifth? It would be a crap hitter, then we'd hear "OMG why is Dusty batting trash in a prime RBI spot!"

13. Likes:

jimbo (07-07-2013),REDREAD (07-08-2013)

Put your four best hitters: Choo, Phillips, Votto, Bruce 1-4 in any order you choose. There's eventually going to be a L-L concern, but that isn't as big a factor in my mind than getting the .265 OBP guy out of the way. I don't mind putting Choo and Votto or Votto and Bruce back to back because Votto is going to be fine, either way.

Personally, I'd like to see Choo, Votto, Phillips, Bruce, but people act like its written in the Constitution that Votto must hit third.

15. Likes:

DocRed (07-08-2013),Falcon7 (07-08-2013),max venable (07-08-2013),RiverRat13 (07-07-2013)

hey! it's a brand new topic of discussion!
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    hey! it's a brand new topic of discussion!
    I know discussion about what's actually happening with the Reds on the field is frowned upon by some here.

And you know what, if he's still hitting second a day/week/month from now, it's a valid question.

Choo
    Phillips
    Votto
    Bruce
    Or put Frazier in the 4 hole if you can't get past another Dusty-ism of splitting up lefty vs. righties.

19. Likes:

Always Red (07-07-2013),dubc47834 (07-07-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Put your four best hitters: Choo, Phillips, Votto, Bruce 1-4 in any order you choose. There's eventually going to be a L-L concern, but that isn't as big a factor in my mind than getting the .265 OBP guy out of the way. I don't mind putting Choo and Votto or Votto and Bruce back to back because Votto is going to be fine, either way.

Personally, I'd like to see Choo, Votto, Phillips, Bruce, but people act like its written in the Constitution that Votto must hit third.
    I think this is worth a try. It wont happen tho. I just hate it when people complain and don't have a reasonable solution!

I think this is worth a try. It wont happen tho. I just hate it when people complain and don't have a reasonable solution!
    Any solution = more reasonable than Cozart.

As others have said, put Phillips in there. This was the original plan until Ludwick got hurt.

So, I'm fine with:

Choo
    Phillips
    Votto
    Bruce

And then put Ludwick in 4th after he comes back.

Turn Off Ads?