Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a hotel by GABP

They call me "chef"

Looking for a hotel by GABP

I'm taking a long train trip to Cincinnati and looking for a nice, 3/4 star hotel by the ballpark. We don't mind walking 20-25 minutes if the hotel is nice, clean, and has good amenities. Right now we are considering Garfield Suites Hotel.

What are your experiences staying with the nearby hotels? Thanks!
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 07-07-2013 at 07:58 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looking for a hotel by GABP

"I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Travel lodge

I've stayed at both the Millennium and the Hilton Netherland Plaza, each five blocks or so from GABP, if I recall correctly. Not cheap but perfect location, considering I don't get to Cincy very often and was willing to splurge a bit.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The Residence Inn by Marriott is right across from Lytle Park and a few blocks from GABP.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I've stayed at the Embassy Suites in Covington. Again, not cheap...but a great location with an easy across-the-river walk to GABP.

I got a room for the Giants series at the Radisson in Covington through priceline and I paid about a hundred bucks a night. If you do priceline anything 3 stars and above in the downtown/Covington area is fine. Done it a whole bunch of times and have never had a problem with what i got.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I've never been inside a room at the Garfield Suites, but the lobby, elevators and 1st floor restaurant all look clean/nice (not over the top by any means, but gives the impression of a nice place to stay) as I was in the building several times to give an architect drawings that used to have his offices there. I've read on here that the rooms are nice as well and it has been recommended in the past on this board when the question comes up. Can't speak for anywhere else; haven't had the need to stay in a hotel in cincy.

Kitty is correct. The Residence Inn by Lytel Park is currently the number one rated hotel in Cincinnati on Tripadvisor.com. Easy walk to the ballpark, nice location, clients rave about the service, free breakfast, nice rooms. Click the link to read reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g6...io-Hotels.html .

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 07-10-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Right now we are considering Garfield Suites Hotel.
    Book it and don't think twice.

BTW, I am not an employee delivering a shameless plug. The restaurant is good and the staff is friendly and the parking is affordable and walking is all downhill and the bus lines are all nearby.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I have stayed at the Hyatt, Residence and Millennium. They are all three very nice and convenient. Price being the same, I would rate them in reverse order than what I typed in the first sentence. And if you didn't know already avoid the Travel Lodge like the plague. Don't walk by it, don't look at it, and by God, don't go in there.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

13. Likes:

remdog (07-10-2013)

They call me "chef"

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the recommendations. We just booked the Garfield Suites for the family. Hap pushed us into certainty with his post.

15. Likes:

Captain13 (07-10-2013),reds1869 (07-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the recommendations. We just booked the Garfield Suites for the family. Hap pushed us into certainty with his post.
    Well, if you were looking for mediocrity, you should have said so in your first post. Would you let HAP talk you into jumping into a boiling vat of chocolate?
    I'm guessing that HAP knows about as much about Hotels as he does chocolate. (Other than, maybe, eating it.)

I'm sure your stay will be fine---just going to a Reds game in Cincinnati will cover that. Garfield Suites are good sized units if you are bringing the family, just be careful of where you walk and check the sheets before you accept the room.

Did you do any research at all because, IMO, you picked a poor choice. If you visited the link I gave you above, there are at least 500 actual customer reviews from unbiased guests between the Residence Inn and Garfield Suites. I'm not suggesting that you read all of them but a quick scan of them will give you the overall tenor of the opinion of the public. TripAdvisor is a third party, independent website that rates hotels and restaurants based upon the public's reviews---you are more likely to get an unbiasded review there than on a baseball board; even if it is in Cincinnati!

I want you like, no, love Cincinnati. And, even though I no longer live there, I still entertain thoughts of returning there. It's a beautiful city with lots of things to do and, when I was there, I was very active in trying to improve the DT area----and it has improved!, by a lot, IMO. I get back there a couple of times a year and enjoy it a lot. I just don't want to see you be disappointed because of a dated or dirty hotel (see the Garfield Suites reviews for what I mean) when you could have have had a clean, bright, new hotel nearer the GAB and restaurants to enjoy your trip in.

BTW, where are you taking the train from, what time of the day do you arrive, how many in your party and how many in your party? Where do you disembark the train and is there a 'dining car' on the train? Could be a great adventure! Enjoy it!

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

17. Likes:

Joseph (07-12-2013)

I've stayed in several downtown hotels

Hilton
    Westin
    Hyatt
    Millennium
    Marriott in NKY
    Garfield

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

It's been a few years, but we used to stay at the hotel the visiting team used and we had many post-game conversations with players from opposing teams in the bar (called Champions or Legends, I'm thinking?). Which hotel is that? The Hyatt?

I wouldn't recommend the Netherlands unless they've done some renovation the past 10 years or so. The lobby area and bar/restaurant are beautiful, but the rooms are small and antiquated.

Turn Off Ads?