Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Sci Fi/fantasy book series recommendations

Help - Sci Fi/fantasy book series recommendations

My 30th birthday is coming up and I am hopefully getting a tablet. I have been trying to find a good fantasy or sci fi series to read to bridge the gap to the next GoT book but am having trouble. I have already read the following:

Sword of Truth
    Wheel of Time
    Pretty much all Star Wars books
    Song of fire and ice
    Drzzit books from Forgotten Realms
    Enders Game books

Does anyone have any suggestions on the next series I should tackle?

Sub question: any suggestions on tablets?

Thanks in advance!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Help - Sci Fi/fantasy book series recommendations

Dune - Herbert
    Foundation Trilogy - Asimov

Really anything by Heinlein, Bradbury, Gibson, or Clarke.

I have read Dune, excellent book. The rest of the series is worth the read?

I have read Starship Troopers, very enjoyable - I also picked up The Moon is a Harsh Mistress recently and have enjoyed that as well.

It's been a while, but I read Roger Zelazny's Amber books straight through.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My 30th birthday is coming up and I am hopefully getting a tablet. I have been trying to find a good fantasy or sci fi series to read to bridge the gap to the next GoT book but am having trouble. I have already read the following:

Sword of Truth
    Wheel of Time
    Pretty much all Star Wars books
    Song of fire and ice
    Drzzit books from Forgotten Realms
    Enders Game books

Does anyone have any suggestions on the next series I should tackle?

Sub question: any suggestions on tablets?

Thanks in advance!
    Codex Alera - jim butcher
    Mistborn- Brandon Sanderson

Those are my two favorite authors and two great series. I also like Brent Weeks.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Steven Erickson The Malazan Book of the Fallen- MASSIVE! 10 volumes of 1k+, outside of the first. Main characters have a habit of dieing.

Brandon Sanderson- Mistborn series (finished), Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive) (1 of X, #2 out early next year)

Brent Weeks- Night Angel Trilogy (finished), Lightbringer series (2 of 4 complete, 3rd out early next year)

Joe Abercrombie- The First Law (finished trilogy)

Mark Lawrence- Broken Empire Trilogy (last one comes out in August)

Guy Gavriel Kay- A lot of stand aloone novels but check out The Sarantine Mosaic (2 books finished)

Check out Goodreads.com. Create an account and start reviewing books that you have read. The site will recommend books to you off of your preferences. The more you review the more precise it will be. I've been using it since 2011 and now I don't hesitate, if its recommended and I don't have something already on the list, I download it.

and a Sci Fi

Peter Hamilton- The Reality Dysfunction (finished space opera trilogy that is also massive)
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 07-08-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Steven Erickson The Malazan Book of the Fallen- MASSIVE! 10 volumes of 1k+, outside of the first. Main characters have a habit of dieing.

Brandon Sanderson- Mistborn series (finished), Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive) (1 of X, #2 out early next year)

Brent Weeks- Night Angel Trilogy (finished), Lightbringer series (2 of 4 complete, 3rd out early next year)

Joe Abercrombie- The First Law (finished trilogy)

Mark Lawrence- Broken Empire Trilogy (last one comes out in August)

Guy Gavriel Kay- A lot of stand aloone novels but check out The Sarantine Mosaic (2 books finished)

Check out Goodreads.com. Create an account and start reviewing books that you have read. The site will recommend books to you off of your preferences. The more you review the more precise it will be. I've been using it since 2011 and now I don't hesitate, if its recommended and I don't have something already on the list, I download it.

and a Sci Fi

Peter Hamilton- The Reality Dysfunction (finished space opera trilogy that is also massive)
    I'm reading the malazan books now. The books are very confusing but I still find it enjoyable. Great characters.

SM Stirling.

Start with his Nantucket trilogy.

An encounter with a cosmic event send the Island of Nantucket and a Coast Guard windjammer back to around 2000 bc.

Steve Alten's Meg series is pretty good. Giant prehistoric shark unleashed in modern times. I have read all 4 books. A fifth is coming in the next year or so. There is a movie stuck in development hell based on this.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

This is more of a shameless plug than a recommendation. I haven't read it yet but I went to college with this guy, and his first book of what will be a trilogy is getting pretty strong ratings.

http://www.amazon.com/Known-Afterlif.../dp/B004Z2JTNS
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_the_New_Sun

Very literary and kind of dense, but really good.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

A friend of mine from HS/college apparently writes Sci-Fi BDSM books which are available for download as e books. I haven't read any of them as I just found out about them being available but I saw the summary for one and one of the characters has my name- which is not a very common name. I will probably have to read it to see what this character is all about and whether his description is at all like me- not much from the summary seems to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This is more of a shameless plug than a recommendation. I haven't read it yet but I went to college with this guy, and his first book of what will be a trilogy is getting pretty strong ratings.

http://www.amazon.com/Known-Afterlif.../dp/B004Z2JTNS
    Which reminds me, I really like the series linked in my signature, even if it is more supernatural suspense than true fantasy or syfy. Never heard of the author, though.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have read Dune, excellent book. The rest of the series is worth the read?
    I've enjoyed the books Frank wrote, as well as the books his son has written using the same characters.

btw, you mention you've read the Ender books, have you also read the Bean (shadow) books? I thought they were interesting in their own right. They carried on the story of Ender's Game a little more directly than the Ender sequels.

Turn Off Ads?