Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Francoeur to Reds?

Re: Francoeur to Reds?

He would play everyday for the Reds. It would be bad.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    His career stats match up most closely on the Reds to Brandon Phillips.

Before his 2011-1012 seasons, his stats would have been pretty much identical.

We need to replace Robinson with a RH hitter that's for sure.

It would not be inconceivable for Frenchie too put up a .800 OPS vs. LH pitchers this year.
    Except we put up with BP's flaws as a hitter because he plays a terrific 2B.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Right, and even if Phillips were only a league average 2b, his bat compares much more favorably to other 2b than frenchy's does to corner Ofs.

And I don't care if it would just be a minor league deal. He would still be a stone's throw from the majors, and I don't trust Dusty not to play him once he gets here
    Stick to your guns.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    It would almost be worth it just to see this place explode.

Pluses for Frenchy:
    1. He would be the best looking Red since Corey Patterson
    My 18 yo daughter runs to the TV every time Zach Cozart comes to the plate. And it's not to see his amazing OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    He would slot well in the second spot in the batting order.
    My sarcasm detector is on high. The whole problem with the Reds offense is they have too many #7 hitters.
    sorry we're boring

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post

Do we bat him clean-up because of his fielding at 2B? Or the fact that he's hits better than many 2B?

We are talking about replacing Robinson. I'm not sure if Frenchie is the answer, but I'm not certain that he couldn't be an upgrade vs. LH pitching either.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (07-08-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

The whole problem with the Reds offense is they have too many #7 hitters.
    Since the Reds are 3rd in the NL in runs scored, it appears to be a league wide problem.

9. Likes:

Always Red (07-08-2013),RedEye (07-08-2013),redsmetz (07-08-2013),Tom Servo (07-08-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Since the Reds are 3rd in the NL in runs scored, it appears to be a league wide problem.
    Well, they also have 2 of the highest OBP guys and 2 guys who are driving them in. So that's half the lineup doing it's job, and maybe in today's game and with the Reds pitching, that's good.
    sorry we're boring

I don't understand why people are upset. Clearly Frenchie would be signed as a power arm out of the bullpen.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

coachpipe (07-08-2013),NebraskaRed (07-08-2013),Razor Shines (07-08-2013),RedEye (07-08-2013),Tom Servo (07-08-2013)

Francoeur isn't the ideal solution but I think a lotto ticket type minor league signing wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe they could catch lightning in a bottle until a better solution can be found via trade.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 07-08-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't understand why people are upset. Clearly Frenchie would be signed as a power arm out of the bullpen.
    Maybe he could mentor Michael Lorenzen.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

15. Likes:

coachpipe (07-08-2013)

My sanity is already pretty precarious when watching Reds games. Having to endure at-bats by Francouer might be enough to make my wife start hiding the sharp objects.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (07-08-2013)

Dear Lord, please do not let this happen.

Most teams this would not be a big deal but I KNOW without question what will happen. He's gonna have a nice 1-2 week bounce when he gets here. People are gonna say things like he's "rediscovered his old form". And then pitchers will remember there's no reason to throw him fastballs near the zone. But we'll see him in the lineup far too often for the rest of the season.

And even if that doesn't happen I wouldn't want him near the Reds. Unless there's a clause in his contract that he's kept in total isolation and prohibited from discussing hitting with anyone in the Reds' organization younger than him. He is the antithesis of everything I believe a hitter should be.

Ok, got that out of my system. Bring him on. Just swing baby!
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

19. Likes:

joshua (07-08-2013)

Do we bat him clean-up because of his fielding at 2B? Or the fact that he's hits better than many 2B?

We are talking about replacing Robinson. I'm not sure if Frenchie is the answer, but I'm not certain that he couldn't be an upgrade vs. LH pitching either.
    We bat BP cleanup because our manager thinks his power plays well there, not because he's particularly good at it (and let's not get into a Phillips vs. Votto RBI debate now... not that I think you personally are likely to start one, but because I can feel the vultures hovering).

To me saying that you are "not certain that someone couldn't do" something is not exactly the type of confidence I want for my newest employee coming to upgrade my team.

The Reds bat Phillips cleanup because Dusty doesn't want Votto and Bruce batting back to back and Phillips is the best option to bat between them currently.

When Rolen was good, Rolen batted 4th, when Ludwick was good last year, he batted cleanup.

The biggest problem on this team is and has been the right handed hitting is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

His career stats match up most closely on the Reds to Brandon Phillips.

Before his 2011-1012 seasons, his stats would have been pretty much identical.
    The back half of Phillips' deal really scares me.

23. Likes:

Always Red (07-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?