Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Francouer to Reds?

Francouer to Reds?

Ken Rosenthal reports on Twitter that the Reds are one of three teams looking to sign Jeff Francouer.

I presume this would be a minor league deal; I would completely oppose a major-league deal for Frenchy at this point in his career.

Under that assumption, let's look at some things:

Francouer against LHP, career: .287/.338/.471, 122 OPS+

He has a reputation as a good fielder, though the Fangraphs numbers are a little sketchy on him. Good arm though.

He'd likely replace Derrick Robinson, who, admittedly, has hit well against LHPs this season, but IN ONLY 74 PAs. Small sample size.

So Frenchy would give the Reds some much-needed RH pop on the bench, and could possibly be a defensive replacement for Paul.

Here's the problem: Francouer is notoriously streaky, even more so than Bruce. I can just see him getting hot for a week, and BAM, he's the starting LF until Luddy is ready. That is the definition of a Dusty move.

So in conclusion, if Francouer is signed to be a bench player who can hit for the pitcher, Cozart, or against LHPs late in games, I am OK with it. But the Reds still need to be worried about keeping this roster Dusty-proof.

Discuss.

2. Likes:

toledodan (07-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Francouer to Reds?

I see Francouer as a cheap, but viable veteran who can come off of the bench to add some pop from the right side. This team really has no right handed hitting depth to it, and Francouer could at the very least help with that.

As far as defensive replacement for Paul--you have that already in Heisey.

Would only be a bench bat. He's really gone downhill though.

Used strictly as a RH bat against lefty pitchers, I wouldn't mind him considering we would give up nothing and pay him very little. But like others said, you just know he'll be hot in his first couple weeks and then we'll see him out there 5 times a week and against right handers....that would not solve anything.

So if he's hot the first few weeks I'm not sure that's an issue. The reds could use another bat. Big time. Let him be hot. If he earns more time and cools off, then deal with it. I'd rather have hot francoeur for a few weeks then have him cool off than a cold outfield the whole time. I know he's not the greatest player, but no one here ( not this thread but RZ in general) wants to give up a piece of any value to acquire anyone, and to do that we are left with guys like frenchie. So I say lets try it. It's a minor league lotto ticket type of deal more than likely anyway if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    So if he's hot the first few weeks I'm not sure that's an issue. The reds could use another bat. Big time. Let him be hot. If he earns more time and cools off, then deal with it. I'd rather have hot francoeur for a few weeks then have him cool off than a cold outfield the whole time. I know he's not the greatest player, but no one here ( not this thread but RZ in general) wants to give up a piece of any value to acquire anyone, and to do that we are left with guys like frenchie. So I say lets try it. It's a minor league lotto ticket type of deal more than likely anyway if it happens.
    You know who our manager is and how he would keep playing a slumping Francoeur based on a hot start.

I am in full support spending a little to get a DeJesus or Aoki type. Heck, I'd go after Stanton with a combination of Chapman/Hamilton/Stephenson et al if we could realistically lock him up for several years. Not that that's ever going to happen, but I would really like to see something done because a right handed LF or 3B (and sliding Todd to LF) would be great for our lineup.

Francoeur can't even hit lefties anymore.

Last two seasons versus lefties: .229/.302/.365.

So, he can't field well, he can't hit righties, he can't hit lefties and people want him for what reason?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Francoeur can't even hit lefties anymore.

Last two seasons versus lefties: .229/.302/.365.

So, he can't field well, he can't hit righties, he can't hit lefties and people want him for what reason?
    And as a PH he's really bad. He's hitting .100 in his career.

Manny would've been a better option than Francouer.

12. Likes:

dougdirt (07-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    Manny would've been a better option than Francouer.
    And that is really saying something....

He chose the World champion Giants... now the next player the Reds can look at is???

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    He chose the World champion Giants... now the next player the Reds can look at is???
    Is Dexter Fowler a possibility? I know he got a lot of buzz around here last year as a Stubbs replacement. Put him in CF and slide Choo over to left. Deal with Ludwick if he even comes back at all. Dexter could be our CFer for the next couple years while Hamilton progresses at Louisville.

Obviously this is all moot if the Rockies aren't interested in dealing him for prospects.

For all those who were stroking out over the possibility of Francoeur to the Reds. He signed with the Giants http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...francoeur.html

Walt is going to pick-up someone that we least expect - while all this speculation may be fun, it's rather pointless. Walt always surprises us, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but rest assured - the new player or players that the Reds acquire will be ones that we will not expect.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    For all those who were stroking out over the possibility of Francoeur to the Reds. He signed with the Giants http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...francoeur.html

Walt is going to pick-up someone that we least expect - while all this speculation may be fun, it's rather pointless. Walt always surprises us, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but rest assured - the new player or players that the Reds acquire will be ones that we will not expect.
    Can't wait for Chase Utley then lol

Im not sure how much of a difference maker francouer would be for the reds with his offensive struggles when you-ve already got players like Heisey and Paul and even Robinson. If the reds are going to make moves they need players who are currently hitting. Iv neen wanting peoples opinion on this. What is your thoughts on trade for Nate mclouth. He's only getting 2 million this year and a free agent after the season. Go look at some stats of possible players to aquire and with his price, i feel like its a good fit for him in LF and batting second in the lineup and cozart 7th or 8th

Turn Off Ads?