Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Realistic Plan For the Offseason & 2014

Re: My Realistic Plan For the Offseason & 2014

Now (or the offseason) would be a great time to revisit the "Chapman and Hamilton for Stanton" idea.

Realistically, the Reds would have to add a 3rd piece like Cingrani or Stephenson. While I wouldn't trade either of those two in that deal, I would see if they'd accept Florida boy Nick Travieso as the 3rd piece. Then we'd be in business.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Now (or the offseason) would be a great time to revisit the "Chapman and Hamilton for Stanton" idea.

Realistically, the Reds would have to add a 3rd piece like Cingrani or Stephenson. While I wouldn't trade either of those two in that deal, I would see if they'd accept Florida boy Nick Travieso as the 3rd piece. Then we'd be in business.
    You can revisit it, but the Reds aren't trading Chapman and they probably aren't trading Hamilton. These guys have star power, unique abilities, they are young players, the Reds aren't trading them.

And they aren't moving Chapman to the rotation. The Reds are not RedsZone. They see value in Aroldis as closer.

If the Reds want Stanton or somebody like him they will trade a major league starter and a couple of good prospects. Travieso is certainly a possibility. Maybe Winker. Possibly Stephenson too, although not as easily.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-14-2013)

1. Sign Mat Latos longterm. Something like 5 years $100MM should do it.

2. Gauge Homer Bailey's willingness to extend. If he'll do it, do it (but no more than four years). If not:

3. Trade Homer Bailey, Neftali Soto, Donald Lutz and Yorman Rodriguez to Texas for Jurickson Profar. Replace Bailey in the rotation with Tony Cingrani.

4. Make Bronson Arroyo a qualifying offer. If he takes it, good. If he doesn't, keep the first round pick and (assuming the Bailey trade goes through) move Chapman to the rotation. Let Marshall and Broxton handle the back end of the bullpen, but fast track Michael Lorenzen as a reliever- he could become the closer by the All-Star Break. If Bailey agrees to extend or the trade doesn't go through, keep Chapman at closer and replace Arroyo in the rotation with Cingrani.

5. Let Sharky Rogers and Dan Corcino battle it out in ST for the long reliever/spot starter role.

6. Make Shin Soo-Choo a qualifying offer. Be happy with three first round picks. Four if the Reds win the competitive balance pick. Use them to stockpile pitching and middle infielders. Maybe a college catcher as well.

7. Platoon Ryan Ludwick and Xavier Paul in LF. You'll probably need one or both of them to be the stopgap for most or all of 2015 until Winker or Ervin is ready to takeover LF. Maybe not if Lutz and/or Rodriguez don't get traded in the Bailey/Profar deal.

8. Start Billy Hamilton in CF on Opening Day, and don't look back unless his OBP falls below .250 after 200 PA.

9. If the Bailey trade does not go through (ie Reds can't get Profar); trade Ryan Hanigan to the Rays for Hak Ju-Lee or Tim Beckham, and allow them to challenge Cozart for the starting SS job in Spring Training. Start Mesoraco 5 days a week and bring up Tucker Barnhart to be his backup. If the Bailey/Profar trade does go through, let Hanigan play out the last year of his contract and Barnhart to get one more year of AAA seasoning.
    3 months later, this plan is still in place as far as I'm concerned. One big difference is I think it's clear #7 won't fly - we definitely need someone better than Ludwick in LF next year. Whether or not that actually happens remains to be seen.

And someone from Yahoo/ESPN is starting to come around on #3:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cincinn...0691--mlb.html
    Go BLUE!!!

It still looks good to me as well. As much as I'd like to see Phillips gone, he doesn't need to fit into this plan unless he upgrades the middle infield in the process. One benefit of Hamilton leading off is reducing BP's GIDPs. It will be tough to double up Hamilton if he's not already on 2nd base. It's a decent combo really.

Hamilton
    BP
    Votto
    Bruce
    Ludwick / McClouth (my preferred FA pickup to saftey-net Hamilton)
    Frazier
    Mez
    Cozart

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    If Chapman is asked to try the rotation again and refuses, he can be someone else's closer.
    Paul Richards in 1977 to Goose Gossage's agent.

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

2 & 6 are the only ones that have any chance of happening. All the rest are probably pipe dreams!

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

What has changed in the last three months that made you 180 on Ludwick?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

And they aren't moving Chapman to the rotation.
    I am not so sure. If Price is manager, I think there's a good chance it happens.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Be happy with three first round picks. Four if the Reds win the competitive balance pick.
    I thought the draw already took place and we didn't get any extra picks?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I am not so sure. If Price is manager, I think there's a good chance it happens.
    Having read that Walt wanted Chapman in the rotation last season, there certainly is a chance he could move now.

Or he could stay in the pen but get used a whole lot more, two inning stints, some non-closing situations.

No way Aroldis should have sat all through those last games of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'll go farther than that. I'm assuming the next manager gets hired partially because he can answer the question "What's your plan for working Aroldis Chapman into the rotation?"
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

14. Likes:

757690 (10-14-2013)

3. Trade Homer Bailey, Neftali Soto, Donald Lutz and Yorman Rodriguez to Texas for Jurickson Profar.
    I really don't think they have to kick in Rodriguez to make that deal. Or, if they include him, then more than Profar will be coming back. Aside from everything else, Andrus is signed until 2023 and Kinsler through 2017. And 2B prospect Rougned Odor is coming fast. I've got a feeling Texas might consider a kid who can bring in a key piece rather than a key piece himself.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I thought the draw already took place and we didn't get any extra picks?
    That is true. The OP was made the first week of July.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I really don't think they have to kick in Rodriguez to make that deal. Or, if they include him, then more than Profar will be coming back. Aside from everything else, Andrus is signed until 2023 and Kinsler through 2017. And 2B prospect Rougned Odor is coming fast. I've got a feeling Texas might consider a kid who can bring in a key piece rather than a key piece himself.
    Leonys Martin could be interesting insurance for Hamilton if we go for the extra piece.

Tanner Scheppers (who I wanted the Reds to take in the sandwich round over Boxberger in '09) could slot into the bullpen nicely if Chapman is moved to the rotation.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What has changed in the last three months that made you 180 on Ludwick?
    I was never sold on re-signing Ludwick.

The last six weeks of the season confirmed that we absolutely cannot count on him as the right-handed cleanup hitter. If we can dump him and his salary, I would.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?