Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Realistic Plan For the Offseason & 2014

Re: My Realistic Plan For the Offseason & 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I was never sold on re-signing Ludwick.

The last six weeks of the season confirmed that we absolutely cannot count on him as the right-handed cleanup hitter. If we can dump him and his salary, I would.
    Ludwick was playing hurt, with a hurt shoulder none the less. The last four weeks of the season really didn't confirm much for me besides he probably came back too soon and having a hurt shoulder impedes your swing. Do I think he should be the reds cleanup hitter or hitter to protect votto? No way. I completely agree with you that the reds need to go get a right handed plus power type bat. But ludwick should not be just dumped unless the reds find an awesome right handed left fielder, and even then ludwick would be done nice, albeit expensive, injury insurance or power off the bench. So keep luddy around until a viable replacement is found and even then assess the payroll. Ludwick could be worth more as a backup than being paid by the reds to play elsewhere.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-15-2013), REDREAD (10-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I was never sold on re-signing Ludwick.

The last six weeks of the season confirmed that we absolutely cannot count on him as the right-handed cleanup hitter. If we can dump him and his salary, I would.
    I continue to be amazed by people's views on Ludwick last season. The guy had a major injury and missed four and a half months. He then was rushed back fairly quickly.

Everybody else gets all this credit for injury. But Ludwick is treated like some failure. I don't get it.

He was signed to provide an affordable cleanup hitter. Yes, if you can get a star cleanup hitter to replace him fine. But I'm happy for RL to play LF next year and for the Reds to bolster other positions.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-15-2013), REDREAD (10-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I continue to be amazed by people's views on Ludwick last season. The guy had a major injury and missed four and a half months. He then was rushed back fairly quickly.

Everybody else gets all this credit for injury. But Ludwick is treated like some failure. I don't get it.

He was signed to provide an affordable cleanup hitter. Yes, if you can get a star cleanup hitter to replace him fine. But I'm happy for RL to play LF next year and for the Reds to bolster other positions.
    I've got nothing against Ludwick, but he was kind of meh in 2009 and 2010, then poor in 2011. His 2012 season really has been his only season to write home about during the past five years. So he's 35 and far from a sure thing.

Personally I don't mind the Reds trying to sort out who the 3rd OF is with Ludwick in the mix, but if the team is thinking seriously about starting the season with Hamilton in CF, then I want a better option than Ludwick in LF.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

7. Likes:

Rojo (10-15-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The last six weeks of the season confirmed that we absolutely cannot count on him as the right-handed cleanup hitter.
    While you may be correct, the last 6 weeks of 2013 proved nothing.

IIRC, Ludwick did little the first 2 months of 2012.

Sing Choo- put him in left. Start Billy in CF. Have Ludwick platoon and play against tough lefties and get him 250 at bats. You do that and you pay a good price but at the top end you get a 15 WAR outfield.

Bruce - 4 or 5
    Billy - 3
    Choo 4-6
    Ludwick- 2

Turn Off Ads?