Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was Votto complaining about??

What was Votto complaining about??

...didn't see the game, just the final highlight of the catch, and afterward Votto looked to be pointing and complaining about something???

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: What was Votto complaining about??

I think he thought he didn't catch the ball at first.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    ...didn't see the game, just the final highlight of the catch, and afterward Votto looked to be pointing and complaining about something???
    I think Gomez came down from the catch, and made the circle sign like it was a HR, and then showed the ball. Much was made of that in the game thread. I think Votto probably reacted to Gomez making the circle sign, and thought for sure it was out of the park. Just my guess though.
    sorry we're boring

Lack of coffee shops in Milwaukee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-09-2013)

On the TV, they said that Gomez initially didn't pull the ball out of his glove with his throwing hand to show it was a legal catch. I guess he was too busy doing his dance..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    On the TV, they said that Gomez initially didn't pull the ball out of his glove with his throwing hand to show it was a legal catch. I guess he was too busy doing his dance..
    The dance, the prayer, the whole thing... made me think since I am old.

What would Bob Gibson do if he was pitching the next game against the Brewers when Gomez came to the plate for his 1st AB?

Relax, kids. I am not advocating drilling him. But there used to be (still is?) some unwritten rules in the game we all love about your actions on the field. Obviously it was a very exciting way to end the game and the young CF was excited. But imagine Joey Votto hitting a walkoff HR (of course at home) and dropping to a knee to give the Hail Mary thing at 2nd base lol. I love excitement, but were his actions a tad too much?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    The dance, the prayer, the whole thing... made me think since I am old.

What would Bob Gibson do if he was pitching the next game against the Brewers when Gomez came to the plate for his 1st AB?

Relax, kids. I am not advocating drilling him. But there used to be (still is?) some unwritten rules in the game we all love about your actions on the field. Obviously it was a very exciting way to end the game and the young CF was excited. But imagine Joey Votto hitting a walkoff HR (of course at home) and dropping to a knee to give the Hail Mary thing at 2nd base lol. I love excitement, but were his actions a tad too much?
    The Reds should knock Gomez down just to say, "Hey we are still here and we are coming right back at you." If the Brewers take it badly so be it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Relax, kids. I am not advocating drilling him. But there used to be (still is?) some unwritten rules in the game we all love about your actions on the field.
    Being a little too celebratory after something like that is definitely a violation of the code. And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he gets a beanball thrown his way tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I think Gomez came down from the catch, and made the circle sign like it was a HR, and then showed the ball. Much was made of that in the game thread. I think Votto probably reacted to Gomez making the circle sign, and thought for sure it was out of the park. Just my guess though.
    I talked to my daughter about this today and she thought Votto was saying he hadn't shown the ball.

I don't buy that he was making a circle home run movement. It's just not logical; it wouldn't have been what a defender would do in that moment. I think folks are making more of this than it needs to be - he clearly was celebrating a great play and the degree of it spoke to it being a game saving catch, ending the game. I have no beef with his actions.

And getting the fuller context with my daughter's opinion, gave me a better understanding of what Votto was trying to convey.

I'd like some luck right now. Even on Sunday, we hit the ball well several times, right at fielders.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

12. Likes:

coachpipe (07-09-2013),Ironman92 (07-09-2013),texasdave (07-09-2013),TSJ55 (07-09-2013)

If our guy did it and they had a problem with it, we would be saying, tough luck. The guy made not only an incredible catch but a game winning catch. If he wants to turn somersaults and take a victory lap then God bless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

Caveman Techie (07-09-2013),traderumor (07-09-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd like some luck right now. Even on Sunday, we hit the ball well several times, right at fielders.
    For all the grief Cozart received for grounding into the DP in the 1st inning, he hit that ball harder than almost anyone else did that day. Right at 'em. 5 feet to the left and that's a double down the line.

Sometimes you need some good fortune.
    sorry we're boring

Eh. I hated the play last night and I still hate it today.

But the guy made an almost-miraculous acrobatic catch with 2 outs in the 9th to win the ball game. You can"t get any more dramatic than that. I'll overlook the fact that he lost his mind for a bit. I can't blame him much.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

Always Red (07-09-2013),Ironman92 (07-09-2013),joshua (07-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Eh. I hated the play last night and I still hate it today.

But the guy made an almost-miraculous acrobatic catch with 2 outs in the 9th to win the ball game. You can"t get any more dramatic than that. I'll overlook the fact that he lost his mind for a bit. I can't blame him much.
    It was a pretty routine catch, the moment/timing was huge, the catch was nothing special.

Votto simply thought it was gone.

I'd much rather focus on getting back on track winning games as opposed to starting a beanball war. I didn't have a problem with the Gomez situation anyways. I think it is the first time since he got to Milwaukee where his celebration at least seemed earned. By his standards that was pretty close to the same thing he does when he makes a diving catch in the 3rd inning and they are down 8-1.

20. Likes:

reds44 (07-09-2013),redsmetz (07-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    It was a pretty routine catch, the moment/timing was huge, the catch was nothing special.

Votto simply thought it was gone.
    thought the same.. of course it was a good catch (timing and it was "important") but it wasn´t that special..

it looked like he was "thanking" god for the catch... I ask myself if he thanks god after every loss aswell

starting a fight or a beanfest isn´t smart.. concentrate on baseball and try to hurt them on the scoreboard

Turn Off Ads?