Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Amir Garrett (and the Billings Mustangs) on Milb.tv tonight

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Amir Garrett (and the Billings Mustangs) on Milb.tv tonight

Just saw that Grand Junction is now the 2nd team in the Pioneer League to be on Milb.tv. Amir Garrett takes the mound tonight against them for the Mustangs, so if you are a subscriber you may want to get a seat nice and comfortable for some viewing this evening.

2. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Amir Garrett (and the Billings Mustangs) on Milb.tv tonight

Doug (or lollipop): If you continued watching after Garrett was finished, I'm curious if you had an impression of Werleen Taveras, who has been unscored upon out of the Billings bullpen. Or Gabriel Rosa, who some folks say passes the eye test. (His HR was no doubt flattering.)

The first thing I thought of when I saw Rosa step into the box: Wow. That is an athletic body if I have ever seen one.

I am going to watch the entire series before talking about the relievers. I like to see them a few times if possible to get a feel for them since they throw a limited number of pitches.

Doug (or lollipop): If you continued watching after Garrett was finished, I'm curious if you had an impression of Werleen Taveras, who has been unscored upon out of the Billings bullpen. Or Gabriel Rosa, who some folks say passes the eye test. (His HR was no doubt flattering.)
    Taveras has thrown 1 inning at this point, and it looks like he's got a plus arm. Little guy with a firm fastball and has flashed a good changeup. Solid. He'll climb the ladder some.

Rosa, like you said, passes the eye test. HR to left center was nice, but I think his swing is a bit long still. An athlete with a ways to go, let's hope he gets a long injury-free stretch this summer.

The guy who jumps out at you is Reynoso. Really like what I've seen of him. Nice sharp swing, good wrists. Very fast. Very natural, athletic actions all around. Plays with some energy. I can see why he leapt into prospectdom last year. Intriguing player.

Ervin looks solid. Didn't swing great tonight, but he's fundamentally sound up there.

Liked what I saw of Garrett, but he's raw. He's mostly fastball now and will need work on his arm speed when throwing secondary stuff. Well behind a guy like Ismael Guillon, IMO.

7. Likes:

Benihana (07-10-2013),Edd Roush (07-10-2013),mace (07-10-2013),REDREAD (07-10-2013)

I want to add a few other observations, briefly.

Reynoso was vulnerable to soft stuff and good breaking balls away. Swung and missed badly a few times. Many are the prospect ships that have run aground on those shoals.

Werleen Taveras was very impressive in the 9th. Was getting squeezed a bit, and he did not rattle one iota. Just kept delivering quality pitch after quality pitch. Fastball, breaking ball, changeup.

Daniel Paula with maybe the strangest stance I've seen in a while. I doubt he's taller than 5'8", and goes real low, Ricky Henderson style, but somewhat collapsed on his back leg and, in his initial setup, bat extended behind him parallel to the ground.

Missed the Ortiz HR. Hoping to see Washington in the lineup tonight.

9. Likes:

Benihana (07-10-2013),Edd Roush (07-10-2013),mace (07-10-2013),REDREAD (07-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post

Missed the Ortiz HR.
    Go back and watch it. It was a BLAST.

Turn Off Ads?