Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bullpen Issues

Bullpen Issues

The bullpen is constantly pointed at as one of two reason for this team's struggles. Surprisingly, every current member of the bullpen is on some sort of scoreless streak, from the good (Parra, Hoover) to the stupidly short (Partch, Ondrusek, Chapman). The question is whether these guys are starting to perform up to their capabilities or if help is still needed? Partch and Ondrusek are likely to be replaced by Broxton and Marshall when those guys come back, so keep that in mind too...what moves do you make that would make you feel comfortable in this group?

Relief Pitcher, Game Streak, Inning Streak, Last Time Giving Up A Run
    LeCure - 9 G, 8 innings, Jun 13
    Simon - 7 G, 7 innings, Jun 20
    Hoover - 9 G, 11.1 innings, Jun 9
    Parra - 14 G, 12 innings, Jun 7
    Partch - 2 G, 4 innings, Jun 21
    Ondrusek - 3 G, 1.2 innings, Jun 7
    Chapman - 3 G, 3 innings, Jun 23

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bullpen Issues

I wouldn't mind a decent lefty arm. However, unlike the offense there are a few possibles in AAA for the pen...Reynolds, Pino, even Duke. Much less problematic than fixing the offense which is slumping uup and down the lineup. Get Marshall and Brox back and they may be dealing bullpen for a bat. Then hope one or two of the AAA guys can fill the hole made. With Ondrusek, Partch and the 3 mentioned the bullpen looks the only place to realistically get trade fodder from without gutting the few decent prospects left or giving up a key offensive player. So, no, I don't see the pen as an issue.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

I believe I read a brief update from someone (C Trent maybe?) that Marshall should be back at or soon after the AS break. I haven't heard anything on Broxton, but hopefully when get gets back he is 2012 Brox and not this year's version.

Anyhoo, Marshall will be a nice shot in the arm regardless...I think it can't be overstated just how important he actually is to this team's bullpen.

Marshall getting better is certainly encouraging, however, I believe another consistent arm in the BP will do a lot for the team.

I'm not surprised that Marshall thinks he "struck all the coaches out". He was probably pitching to Brook Jacoby! Our feared 'Hitting Coach'.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

8. Likes:

OC_Red (07-11-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (07-10-2013)

That's great news on Marshall.
    To be honest, I was worried he was done for the year, and they just didn't tell us yet..
    Hopefully he continues to be pain free.

The bullpen has been outstanding of late.
    There might be a silver lining to Brox and Marshall getting hurt. The rest of the guys had their roles elevated and certainly stepped up to the challenge.
    Especially Parra. He might now be a useful 2nd lefty in the pen, which we will probably need since Cingrani is likely to be in the rotation for awhile.

This experience is also good for Partish. If he can get a bit more consistent, he's potentially a setup man for the Reds in a couple of years. Really like the guy's raw talent.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

10. Likes:

OC_Red (07-11-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

I definitely am not complaining especially since the pen is actually holding its own as of late.. I heard leather pants refer to the Reds being interested in some bullpen arms from the White Sox.. I actually think their might be another name that sticks out to me and that is Brian Wilson; who should be auditioning for teams in August. An electric arm like that near the end of the game or when you need an out. Now grant it coming back from major surgery is always cause for concern but not having to give up talent to get an All-Star type player who most likely wont cost a lot either is what I'd look at first.

The 'pen is still in triage mode. Let's wait and see what happens. I think the continued lack of timely hits is more troubling.
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

The bullpen has done well of late and one would hope that if Marshall and Broxton get back and are truly healthy, that whatever issues may exist will work itself out. That being stated, I would not rule out fortifying the 'pen at the trade deadline.

I do agree, the offense, a right-handed bat especially, is more important to this club right now.

Pitching is NOT the issue why we are in 3rd place, IF the pitching just stays at it's current performance level overall we will be just fine pitching wise....

FWIW the bullpen has been outstanding the last few weeks. Guys hitting with runners in scoring position is this teams biggest issue.

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    FWIW the bullpen has been outstanding the last few weeks. Guys hitting with runners in scoring position is this teams biggest issue.
    I would make it even simpler...just hitting...

17. Likes:

OC_Red (07-12-2013),Tom Servo (07-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    I would make it even simpler...just hitting...
    Funny, read the previous on my phone and was going to post the same thing but got a call here at work. Great minds?

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    Funny, read the previous on my phone and was going to post the same thing but got a call here at work. Great minds?
    I would go one step further and say "approach" to an AB. You can't have a univeral approach because the game changes to much, but the Reds seem to have a single approach. Last night in the nineth is an example. the plan by Cozart should have been going into that AB to get on base and once the count is 2-0 you move up and crowd the plate and make it tougher on Kimble and work a walk or maybe get plunked. Our hitters (except Votto) seem to "eager" at time to want to "drive" the ball. The objective should be to get on base first and "if" you can get your pitch then drive it. Outside of Joey we are just not selective enough. I LOVE Frazier, but this swining at pitches so far off the plate is a lack of discipline, which can be traced back to a lack of quality coaching on all levels.

20. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-12-2013)

Turn Off Ads?