Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Dusty plans to stick with Cozart in the No. 2 spot

Re: Dusty plans to stick with Cozart in the No. 2 spot

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I look at that and I see 3 OPS that are above league average and 5 that are not, including 3 that wouldn't be particularly close to league average regardless of what order they're in.

I get it that the batting order is an issue, but it's down on the list.
    Depends on what you mean by league average. League average in the lead off spot, for example, is different then league average for cleanup.

League average at shortstop is different than league average at first

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm still scratching my head why we needed yet another thread on lineup construction. This seems to be an extension of one of the other two or three threads that were already ongoing discussing this. But I digress.

In any event, have people really not figured out Dusty yet? Here's a tip if they haven't: Dusty will never tell you if he's planning on benching or demoting someone. Ever. He simply will not put down a player's performance in public. We went through this last year, if memory serves me, with another player. People were freaking that Dusty kept saying someone wasn't going to be benched and a week later, they were. I can't remember who it was off the top of my head but I vividly remember the same sort of reactions to Dusty's comments.

Folks, pay no attention to what Dusty "says." It's immaterial.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Depends on what you mean by league average. League average in the lead off spot, for example, is different then league average for cleanup.

League average at shortstop is different than league average at first
    You defined league average with the chart you posted.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    You defined league average with the chart you posted.
    And that showed that 2, 4, 7, and 8 are below average for those lineup slots. I'm not sure where you get five from.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    And that showed that 2, 4, 7, and 8 are below average for those lineup slots. I'm not sure where you get five from.
    That's probably because I don't count so good sometimes.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

7. Likes:

Raisor (07-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Well, Dusty and I have something in common (besides being old). Because about every time I see WAR, my brain goes "WAR! huh! good gawd y'all, what is it good for, absolutely nuthin', say it again!"

And I am probably the only person on this board that has seen Edwin Starr. He did a Vegas-style show to a bunch of hippies.

Just for the record I think the same thing when WAR is mentioned.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Just for the record I think the same thing when WAR is mentioned.
    As do I.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

There were enough people that agreed with the guys who thought that the world was flat, that they formed a society.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Folks, pay no attention to what Dusty "says." It's immaterial.
    I think it's very material. Dusty isn't the new age coy kind of manager that plays head games with the media and his guys.

He's a crusty, old school thinker and a player's manager. Stubborn and he means what he says on his hitting and lineup philosophy. No matter how accurate or inane.

Dusty will continue to bat Cozart 2nd because he is a SS whether it is best for the team or not. Dusty knows as well as we do that it is not best for the team, but he is still going to do it. If Reds management is happy with the team being run this way, then who I am I to harp on it. It's just a dumb way to put a lineup together, but neither Dusty nor the powers that be care; so, why lose sleep over the stupidity?

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I think it's very material. Dusty isn't the new age coy kind of manager that plays head games with the media and his guys.

He's a crusty, old school thinker and a player's manager. Stubborn and he means what he says on his hitting and lineup philosophy. No matter how accurate or inane.
    No, it isn't material when there is an established history of not tipping a hand as to if a player's role is in jeopardy. If Cozart's role as a 2-hitter were in serious peril with Dusty, he wouldn't tell you. So whatever he says is immaterial.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Dusty will continue to bat Cozart 2nd because he is a SS whether it is best for the team or not. Dusty knows as well as we do that it is not best for the team, but he is still going to do it. If Reds management is happy with the team being run this way, then who I am I to harp on it. It's just a dumb way to put a lineup together, but neither Dusty nor the powers that be care; so, why lose sleep over the stupidity?

Bum
    This is the most asinine post I have seen in a long time. How can you possibly sit there and say that neither Dusty nor management don't care. Do you not remember Reds management we had before and how poorly this ball club was ran? Why would Dusty do stuff that he knows is bad for this team, that's not good just security. I know i support Dusty quit a bit, but I also don't agree with Cozart always hitting second. To say Dusty doesn't care is just blind hatred for the man!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    This is the most asinine post I have seen in a long time. How can you possibly sit there and say that neither Dusty nor management don't care. Do you not remember Reds management we had before and how poorly this ball club was ran? Why would Dusty do stuff that he knows is bad for this team, that's not good just security. I know i support Dusty quit a bit, but I also don't agree with Cozart always hitting second. To say Dusty doesn't care is just blind hatred for the man!
    If Dusty doesn't know that Cozart batting 2nd is bad for the team, that is just as big of a problem as not caring that it is bad for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post

Bum
    Cozart isn't batting 2nd today. Your theory is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Cozart isn't batting 2nd today. Your theory is invalid.
    63 games batting 2nd says "not so fast."

Turn Off Ads?