Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WSJ: Baseball is slow and boring

Re: WSJ: Baseball is slow and boring

It is too slow and changes should be made.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nothing lasts that does not have backing.They haven't paid people to watch baseball all these.......whatever years.

Baseball games tell stories with real characters,not a blow 'em up movie.
    May the Lord bless

Baseball is slow and boring.... until it's not.

Another thing to consider is the difference between live baseball and baseball on tv. You miss so much of the game when you can only see what the camera chooses to show. Live baseball can't be beat, especially when you toss in the people watching.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    You clearly would have been the target audience for the follow-up WSJ article I suggested earlier in the thread.
    I actually like hockey. I follow it on the outskirts. Those guys are fantastic athletes. They're strong, fast, with fantastic hand/eye coordination. Games are definitely not boring.

My point with hockey is that excitement doesn't always equal popularity.

7. Likes:

IntheCards (07-16-2013)

Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

WSJ is owned by FOX, who has the network contract for baseball. If Fox hates baseball so much (they do relegate the worst announcers in the history of mankind to the sport) why don't they just give up their contract and go away. They can then spend all of their time covering the concussion league.
    Where we gonna go?

They call me "chef"

Maybe they were referring to AL games.

11. Likes:

Always Red (07-12-2013),Red in Chicago (07-12-2013),RedEye (07-12-2013),westofyou (07-12-2013)

Baseball is about tension. Are dramatic movies bad because there's little action in it? This is dumb article about something everyone already knows. The worst part is the author's tone calling baseball boring. I would love to see the NFL break down because I believe they are similar to MLB. NFL.com Replay had an edit where it was only the snaps and it took 20 mins to watch. NHL games still take 2.5 hours, without timeout. The other sports have a clock too!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Boring? No.
    Slow? Most definitely.

I also miss the days when Tom Browning would finish a game in 2 hours; and curse guys like Sean Casey and Jonny Gomes who took what seemed like minutes between pitches.

Something must be done to get games back in the 2:00 to 2:30 range. What? I don't know. But slow play is killing my other favorite game as well, golf.
    Strikeouts are up, walks are up and home runs are up (from the days when games went 2 hours). More pitches and more time. There is only so much that can be done to cut down on the time. Batters staying in the box might be one. Unless you break your bat, you stay in the box once you step in it. But other than that, what is there that can really be done?

I would be interested in seeing the time of games for starters on average when two guys with sub 6 K/9 play, 6-7K/9 play, 7-8K/9 play and 8+K/9 play.

What an Arroyo/Leake game takes compared to what a Bailey/Latos game takes. Who has some free time tonight and wants to run the numbers? Not it!

The article states that football only has 11 minutes of action per game. Yet football is deceptively exciting because touchdowns are worth 6 pts., field goals 3, safeties 2, and extra points 1 or 2. I imagine if you could only score by 1 point at a time, people would find football dull.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The article states that football only has 11 minutes of action per game. Yet football is deceptively exciting because touchdowns are worth 6 pts., field goals 3, safeties 2, and extra points 1 or 2. I imagine if you could only score by 1 point at a time, people would find football dull.
    I think the NFL is rather boring in person but I love watching it on television. Professional football is the ultimate made-for-TV sport. The downtime between plays is broken up by either replay or throwing it back to the studio for a highlight of another game. Conversely, there isn't a replay of every pitch in an MLB game (no need unless an action happened or it was a borderline pitch). You don't realize how little is going on during an NFL game unless you are there in person.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-15-2013)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Followed up by - Did you ever notice football coaches are like Generals of an army?
    NASCAR: A whole day of turning left!

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-15-2013),Revering4Blue (07-13-2013),westofyou (07-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Strikeouts are up, walks are up and home runs are up (from the days when games went 2 hours). More pitches and more time. There is only so much that can be done to cut down on the time. Batters staying in the box might be one. Unless you break your bat, you stay in the box once you step in it. But other than that, what is there that can really be done?

I would be interested in seeing the time of games for starters on average when two guys with sub 6 K/9 play, 6-7K/9 play, 7-8K/9 play and 8+K/9 play.

What an Arroyo/Leake game takes compared to what a Bailey/Latos game takes. Who has some free time tonight and wants to run the numbers? Not it!
    I don't mind if actual gameplay is what is making games longer. What I object to is guys stepping out and adjusting batting gloves, doing deep-knee bends, or tugging on the bills of their batting helmets 10 times in a row. Basically many guys have 15- to 20-second routines that they do before every pitch. That adds up.

What I liked about Browning was that he was almost borderline quick-pitching guys. He'd catch the ball while he was on the rubber, get the sign and throw another pitch within seconds. Tony Cingrani is similar.

It's harder and harder to watch 140-something games a year when the average time keeps creeping up to 3 hours.

I believe it was George Will, in one of the best modern baseball books "Men at Work" ( I highly, highly recommend it) talks about how you "take in" a baseball game, and no other sport refers to it that way.

Turn Off Ads?