Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player Profiles - Bernie Carbo

Player Profiles - Bernie Carbo

Bernardo 'Bernie' Carbo was born August 5, 1947 in Detroit, Michigan. Though he would eventually play as an outfield and a DH for many teams, he got his start with the Cincinnati Reds.

Carbo must have looked pretty good to the scouts as he was the Reds’ number-one pick in the 1965 draft (ahead of Johnny Bench). He was called up to the big leagues in 1970.

In his 1970 rookie season, Carbo posted career highs in batting average (.310), home runs (21), runs batted in (63), hits (113), on base percentage (.454), slugging average (.551), OPS (1,005) and games played (125). Carbo was selected “Rookie of the Year” by The Sporting News, and coming in a close second in the voting for NL Rookie of the Year.

Carbo’s rookie year, like so many other young players, was followed by two disappointing seasons. Appearing in 106 games in 1971, Carbo saw his numbers drop dramatically as he went .219/ .338/ .339 /.677. He improved somewhat in 1972, but it wasn’t enough as he was traded to the Cardinals.

His numbers continued to improve in St. Louis, but his time there was short. The Cardinals sent Carbo to the Red Sox. He got off to a rough start in Boston. Of his first day in Boston, Carbo said “When I first met [Red Sox owner] Mr. Yawkey, he was shining shoes in the clubhouse, and I went up to him and gave him $20 and told him to get me a cheeseburger and fries."
    Carbo’s eccentricities began to show themselves while he was in Boston. He would carry around a giant stuffed gorilla that was named Mighty Joe Young. The gorilla sat next to him in the middle seat on planes.

On June 26, 1975, Carbo made a difficult catch in right field, crashing into the wall and losing his chaw of tobacco. He then asked the umpires for time so that he could search the outfield for the missing chaw; after holding up the game for nearly 10 minutes, he found it lying on the warning track and put it back in his mouth.

Carbo would face his old team in the 1975 World Series.

In Game 6, with two outs and two batters on base in the 8th inning, Roger Moret was up at bat. Darrell Johnson told Carbo to get ready. This is what happened, according to Carbo:

“And I said, ‘Hey, I’m not going to hit. Juan Beníquez, grab a bat, you’re going to hit. Sparky's going to go to the lefthander because Sparky goes by the book.’ Darrell said, ‘Well, go up and stand on the on-deck circle.’ And they introduced me. So I’m still thinking Sparky will come out and take Rawly Eastwick out and go with Will McEnaney. But the umpire says, ‘C’mon, you’ve been announced, you’re hitting.’ So I go into the batter's box. I ain’t ready to hit. Next thing, strike one, strike two, ball one, ball two. Then he threw me a cut fastball, a little slider and I took it right out of Bench's glove — the ball just dribbled out. I step out and I’m thinking, ‘Aw man, I almost struck out. I was lucky.’ I hit the next pitch to center field. I rounded first base and I saw César Gerónimo going back. Rounding second, I knew it was gone and I’m yelling to Pete Rose, ‘Don’t you wish you were this strong?’ And Pete is yelling back, ‘Ain’t this fun, Bernie? This is what the World Series is about. This is fun.’ Johnny Bench said after the game it looked like a Little Leaguer learning how to hit. Pete Rose said it was the worst swing he ever saw. Don Zimmer said he thought it was over. Rico Petrocelli said it looked like a pitcher who hurt his arm, trying to make a comeback as a hitter.”

2. Likes:

Always Red (08-15-2013),Bob Borkowski (08-14-2013),BoxingRed (08-15-2013),cumberlandreds (08-14-2013),KittyDuran (08-14-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (08-14-2013),Roy Tucker (08-14-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Player Profiles - Bernie Carbo

His major league career ended in 1980 when he was with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Carbo went on to cosmetology school and opened a hairdressing salon. In 1985, in a federal drug distribution trial, former Cardinal Keith Hernandez said Carbo was the man who introduced him to cocaine in 1980. Carbo claims that he subsequently lost his house and his salon due to the press coverage.

Carbo’s drug use continued to grow. According to Carbo, his drug habit got so bad he was spending “$32,000 a month” on drugs, mostly cocaine.

On April 1, 2010, in an interview with the Boston Globe, Carbo admitted to doing drugs during the 1975 World Series. He states, "I probably smoked two joints, drank about three or four beers, got to the ballpark, took some [amphetamines], took a pain pill, drank a cup of coffee, chewed some tobacco, had a cigarette, and got up to the plate and hit." In the same article, Carbo states, "I played every game high. I was addicted to anything you could possibly be addicted to. I played the outfield sometimes where it looked like the stars were falling from the sky."

Carbo is co-founder of the Diamond Club Ministry, and offers hitting classes to “children and youth of all ages.”
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 08-14-2013 at 01:26 PM.

5. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (08-14-2013),cumberlandreds (08-14-2013),Norm Chortleton (08-15-2013)

Carbo is another case study that drugs will ruin a career in a heartbeat. No telling how good he could have been if he had stayed away from them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

This made my day.

The Cardinals sent Carbo to the Red Sox. He got off to a rough start in Boston. Of his first day in Boston, Carbo said “When I first met [Red Sox owner] Mr. Yawkey, he was shining shoes in the clubhouse, and I went up to him and gave him $20 and told him to get me a cheeseburger and fries."
    Last edited by George Anderson; 08-14-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

8. Likes:

Big Klu (08-15-2013),KittyDuran (08-14-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Watched his HR in Game 6 the other day. He couldn't have looked any worse with his previous swings in that AB. Then jacks one out to dead center. Oh well, Redlegs TCB in Game 7.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

10. Likes:

goreds2 (08-15-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Also called out in the 1970 World Series in one the most famous blown calls ever. For the younger crowd that may not know about it... check out where the ball is when he is "tagged out" and the positioning of the home plate umpire.

12. Likes:

Always Red (08-15-2013),Big Klu (08-15-2013),Norm Chortleton (08-15-2013)

I was 9 years old when the phantom tag occurred. It still makes me mad when I see that picture. C'mon Ken Burkhardt.

14. Likes:

Always Red (08-15-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (08-15-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I was 9 years old when the phantom tag occurred. It still makes me mad when I see that picture. C'mon Ken Burkhardt.
    I love the fact that, even years later, Earl Weaver would taunt Carbo with it: "Bernie, you're STILL out!"
    sorry we're boring

16. Likes:

goreds2 (08-15-2013)

Could Ken Burkhart have been any more in the way, and out of position?

sorry we're boring

^ The thing about that play was that Carbo never touched home plate either. Burkhardt should have just laid there until a tag was made or Carbo touched home before he made any call.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    ^ The thing about that play was that Carbo never touched home plate either. Burkhardt should have just laid there until a tag was made or Carbo touched home before he made any call.
    True, but that's because it was being blocked by both Elrod and Ken Burkhardt!

Burkhardt missed the entire play, and then made an assumption because the throw beat the runner to the plate.
    sorry we're boring

Carbo actually stepped on the plate during the ensuing argument. Elrod Hendricks still hasn't tagged him.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Carbo actually stepped on the plate during the ensuing argument. Elrod Hendricks still hasn't tagged him.

Hendricks will have to tag him from the grave now. He died a few years ago.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Could Ken Burkhart have been any more in the way, and out of position?

Burhhart actually played for the Reds in the 40's and picked up umpiring after he retired.

Whenever someone wants to claim umpiring is worse now than it has ever been, just show them this picture.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

My heart sank when Carbo hit that game 6 homerun almost more than the Fisk one. Funny how Fisk's homer over looks Carbo's.

Carbo's was BIG TIME clutch.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?