Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo - one win from 100

Re: Bronson Arroyo - one win from 100

He's been a great guy to have and his games started, innings and wins are impressive. I'm glad we have him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Arroyo has quietly been one of the most durable, efficient pitchers for the Reds since we got him in 2005.

Hasn't ever missed a start, and 200+ IP every year with the exception of 2011. Very underrated starter. Someone is going to pay him 8 million next year, and he probably deserves it.
    And the one year he fell short of 200 IP, he finished with 199.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

If you had told Reds fans Arroyo would win 100 games for the Reds when he first came to Cincinnati, few would have believed it. The consensus was that he never wanted to come to Cincinnati and would resign with the Red Sox at the first opportunity. He has since pitched more seasons for the Reds than the Red Sox and Pirates combined, become a model of consistency, and I'd say is now a fan favorite. Well done, Mr. Arroyo. When you are gone, you will be missed.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-23-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-13-2013),RedEye (07-14-2013),redsfanmia (07-13-2013),Revering4Blue (07-13-2013)

I have a great appreciation for what Bronson has done as a Red over the last several seasons, including this year.

And while I still firmly believe the Reds can and will compete for a Pennant this year, IF (and only if) they were to fall out of contention over the next 3 weeks (more than 3 games back of the WC, which seems highly unlikely at this point), Arroyo would be the perfect trade candidate at the deadline.

There are only 2-3 decent pitchers available on the trade market between Garza, Gallardo, and Norris. Arguably one could include Hughes in this bunch, but Arroyo has clearly been significantly more reliable than the Yankees righthander. In fact, Arroyo has been more reliable than any of these arms, and while he doesn't have the youth or potential TOR stuff of these guys, he has phenomenal postseason experience and could re-sign for a 2 or 3 year deal. While there has been debate over whether the Reds should extend Arroyo (I believe they shouldn't) or even make a qualifying offer (I believe they should), it would be interesting to see what he could fetch on the trade market if it becomes clear the 2013 Reds don't have a clear shot at a title.
    Go BLUE!!!

it would be interesting to see what he could fetch on the trade market if it becomes clear the 2013 Reds don't have a clear shot at a title.
    I believe all of his deferred salary becomes due if he is traded. In which case, he won't be going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I believe all of his deferred salary becomes due if he is traded. In which case, he won't be going anywhere.
    Fair point (if true)
    Go BLUE!!!

Absolutely true.

■3 years/$35M (2011-13)
    ■signed extension with Cincinnati 12/4/10, reworking option year in previous contract
    ■$15M deferred without interest, paid through 2021, reducing present-day AAV to $28.9M
    ■11:$6.5M, 12:$7M, 13:$6.5M
    ■if traded, deferrals are voided and paid up-front
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...ncinnati-reds/
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If the rotation stays the same, his next start should be July 21st (Sunday) after the AS break @ GABP.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I also like his interviews. Smart guy, no BS.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (07-13-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-23-2013),RedEye (07-14-2013),reds1869 (07-13-2013),redsfanmia (07-13-2013),Revering4Blue (07-13-2013),wlf WV (08-15-2013)

Remember talking to a Red Sox fan at the time of this trade he thought they had gotten the steal of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Remember talking to a Red Sox fan at the time of this trade he thought they had gotten the steal of the century.
    The Reds got the steal or the Sox?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/braves-...6911--mlb.html

I guess he was traded in the middle of the game to the Braves, who managed to lose the game.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    The Reds got the steal or the Sox?
    Red sox fan thought that the sox had gotten the steal of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The one team that the deferred money penalty wouldn't be an issue for could be an interesting destination:

If (and only if) the Reds are 2-3 GB of the WC at the end of the month, (which again seems highly unlikely at this point), would you trade Arroyo to the Dodgers for Joc Pederson? I would.

In fact, if Leake continues to pitch well after the break and the Reds get visibility that Johnny Cueto can come back and pitch beginning in August, I might consider this trade even if the Reds are still firmly in Wild Card contention, given that Arroyo would likely not be a playoff starter.

From ESPN:

Joc Pederson, OF | Los Angeles Dodgers
    Stats: .299/.388/.522, 14 HRs, 25 SB (Double-A Chattanooga)

The Dodgers' outfield at the major league level is overcrowded with Carl Crawford, Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig and Andre Ethier. Even if the Dodgers end up dealing one of the four, their outfield is still set for years to come.

Pederson is at Double-A Chattanooga of the Southern League, and scouts are drooling over his hit tool, power and the fact he can play all three outfield positions. With his path to the majors blocked in L.A., he’s the most likely top prospect it will move if it can acquire a difference-maker.

To deal Pederson, the Dodgers would have to get back a top-of-the-rotation starter, a back-end impact closer or a top pitching prospect. Teams that would match up in this type of deal include the Seattle Mariners, Chicago White Sox, Minnesota Twins and Milwaukee Brewers.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-14-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Arroyo has 10 and 5 rights. Not only will you need to pay him per his contract, but you may need to give him some more to get him to agree to a deal.

He's not going anywhere unless the Reds are hopelessly buried and he'd get a chance at the post-season with another team. That's not going to happen by the deadline.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

marcshoe (07-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?