Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo - one win from 100

Re: Bronson Arroyo - one win from 100

Peter Gammons tweeted Arroyo leads the NL in wins and innings pitched since the Reds acquired him for Pena.

Also, this is a fun read:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44013
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Peter Gammons tweeted Arroyo leads the NL in wins and innings pitched since the Reds acquired him for Pena.

That was quite a thread. My favorite part is the Baseball Prospectus quote on Wily Mo:

It's difficult for me to separate my Red Sox fandom from the careful analyst, but I'm pretty optimistic. Pena has already shown that he's capable of hitting in the majors (albeit with less plate discipline that I'd like to see), and is young enough to still take several steps forward. When your upside is Sammy Sosa, and your downside is Joe Carter, you've got a pretty good future ahead of you.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

4. Likes:

reds44 (08-15-2013),Tom Servo (08-15-2013)

There are some embarrassingly bad opinions/overreactions in that thread. Like Hall of Shame bad.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

6. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-15-2013),reds44 (08-15-2013),Tom Servo (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    There are some embarrassingly bad opinions/overreactions in that thread. Like Hall of Shame bad.
    That thread is hilarious.

Cedric said he was done with the organization, hahaha

I think some of those reactions happen when there is a deep distrust of ownership and the FO.

But I did find this post to be particularly over the top:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=20
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

Always Red (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think some of those reactions happen where there is a deep distrust of ownership and the FO.
    Naaah we still have those from time to time now. You're giving people too much credit.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

If only we had gotten Matt Clement or Jake Westbrook.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

jojo (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That thread is hilarious.

Cedric said he was done with the organization, hahaha
    I wonder if he and OBM are willing to amend Krivsky's F+ grade for being totally ripped off?

"No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Hatteberg and Womack hand wringing were pretty fantastic too. Hatteberg was a damn good stop gap until Votto got here and Womack had all of 18 ABs with the Reds.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

The Hatteberg and Womack hand wringing were pretty fantastic too. Hatteberg was a damn good stop gap until Votto got here and Womack had all of 18 ABs with the Reds.
    Scott also had two of my favorite nicknames across the board - Pickin Machine and Mr. Hat.
    No one expects the butterfly

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-15-2013)

To be fair to those posters, unless you were a scout watching the 28 year-old Arroyo every day and saw some hidden untapped talent, how could you have reasonably expected the maturation Arroyo experienced here in Cincinnati to occur?

18. Likes:

remdog (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    To be fair to those posters, unless you were a scout watching the 28 year-old Arroyo every day and saw some hidden untapped talent, how could you have reasonably expected the maturation Arroyo experienced here in Cincinnati to occur?
    Arroyo had just posted back to back average-above average seasons in the AL, was entering his prime, and was going from the AL to the NL. He would seem like a prime candidate to improve. He had a 4.19 ERA in Boston and has a 4.02 ERA in Cincinnati. I don't think he made some shocking jump.

Man, I hate going back through those threads because I never remember how strongly I was for or against something at the time. I knew this one might be difficult because I had a man crush on WMP's potential (and that man-love showed through on Page 17 of 18 page thread!!). But I wasn't too off - my main problem was that trade put Hatteberg into lineup. Turned out SH played decent though, so what do I know!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

BrooklynRedz broke the Arroyo/Pena trade news before anyone else had it. I don't remember BrooklynRedz, does s/he still post here?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    BrooklynRedz broke the Arroyo/Pena trade news before anyone else had it. I don't remember BrooklynRedz, does s/he still post here?
    Logged in yesterday, last posted in October of 2012.

The amazing thing to me on that thread was the breaking of the news. The early posts say "nothing on CBS, ESPN.com" today we would have a million tweets and rumors. And that's just in 2006...

Turn Off Ads?