Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo - one win from 100

Re: Bronson Arroyo - one win from 100

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bronson Arroyo just won his 99th game for the Reds. Yes, I know pitcher wins are a silly stat, but when you accumulate 100 of them for a single club it signals longevity, durability and quality.

We haven't seen a Reds pitcher cross this line since Tom Browning did it in 1991. Mario Soto did it in 1988. Gary Nolan and Don Gullett did it in 1976. Jim Maloney did it in 1967. Bob Purkey did it in 1964. Joe Nuxhall did it in 1963.

And that's it since World War II. It doesn't happen often for the Reds. If you're a younger fan, you haven't seen a Reds pitcher hit the century mark.

So make sure you catch Arroyo's next start.
    What about Vander Meer passing 100 wins in 1948? Also, Gullet never made it to 100 wins. He hit 91.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-24-2013 at 01:08 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bumped this thread to ask the obvious after today's performance: How do we not re-up Arroyo?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Bumped this thread to ask the obvious after today's performance: How do we not re-up Arroyo?

Easily. With no bad words, vocal best wishes, and sincere gratitude, the Reds will graciously decline to match whatever 3yr, 30 to 40 million $ contract offer (at a minimum) that Arroyo gets on the open market.

5. Likes:

dfs (08-14-2013)

Regarding signing Bronson, Bob Seger said, "I ain't got no money, but I sure got a whole lotta love." Arroyo would need to give a discount to stay because of the relationship he's got here IMO and he's said he won't do that.

He's in his late 30s, if some team offers a multi-year deal, he should probably go. If the Reds make him a qualifying offer, it may be the best he could do since the draft pick may suppress any contract he could get. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back on a one year deal if the Reds make that offer and the Reds may need to unload a couple guys (Bailey? Chapman?) to fit it in the budget.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

remdog (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    IMHO, with the utmost respect and appreciation Arroyo intended, I wouldn't re-sign him because I think it's a misdirection of resources.

The Reds have Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake and Cingrani as well as Chapman if they felt inclined to finally put him back in the rotation. There's no reason, IMHO, to spend $10-15 million on Arroyo, especially given you don't know how long he'll continue his quality.

I just think that money can be better spent elsewhere, whether in retaining Choo or spending the money somewhere else if Choo leaves. Arroyo has absolutely won me over. I never imagined he would continue being as valuable has he has. But paying him that money is an unnecessary expenditure when the Reds have as many other good arms as they do.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

9. Likes:

remdog (08-14-2013)

There's some good arguments here. But there is little risk of injury with Bronson. He's an anchor, a winner and a bullpen savior. Can't say that about flamethrowers necessarily. He'll be worth what he gets paid. Might as well be us. Trade the risky flamethrowers instead.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I think Cueto is the wild card in the decision on whether to re-sign Bronson. If he can stay healthy then you can wish Bronson well and let him be on his way. If he can't, then you have a tough decision to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

remdog (08-14-2013)

Geez, was it too much to ask to have a simple thread celebrating the impressive accomplishment of a great Red? Instead, it turns into a "yeah, but" thread. This is the Cincinnati fan base in my experience.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

14. Likes:

membengal (08-15-2013),Patrick Bateman (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Geez, was it too much to ask to have a simple thread celebrating the impressive accomplishment of a great Red? Instead, it turns into a "yeah, but" thread. This is the Cincinnati fan base in my experience.
    There's not a single person in this thread saying anything remotely negative or downplaying Arroyo's accomplishments. I think its' been 100% positive and appreciative toward him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    There's not a single person in this thread saying anything remotely negative or downplaying Arroyo's accomplishments. I think its' been 100% positive and appreciative toward him.
    Agreed. Everybody acknowledges his tremendous contribution to the ballclub. There's a tough question facing the front office, however, about the future and Arroyo's role here. Perhaps it needs a separate thread.

I enjoy seeing Arroyo pretty much being accepted by each "type" of poster on here. Everyone has pretty much accepted and appreciated him for what he has done.

Or another way to put it...

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, ****s, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, ####heads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

18. Likes:

Chip R (08-15-2013),Nasty_Boy (08-15-2013)

Not really seeing this.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-15-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

What I don't get is why does this thread have to be used to blast Phillips?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think you have to offer him a qualifying offer if he accepts great, if not you get the draft pick and have to look at upgrading the offense and filling 200 innings. Stephenson/ Hamilton should be ready by 2015, but we need to bridge that gap somehow so here's my best scenerio:

1) Arroyo accepts the 1 yr deal, Cueto becomes healthy and allows us to use Cingrani as a swingman for 1 year.

2) Arroyo declines the option, we get the draft pick, we than re-sign Choo to play CF again, with him moving to LF in 2015 when Hamilton is ready, and look at guys to upgrade the backup OF/SS spots.

It sure is hard to say goodbye to 200 solidly pitched innings/year. One day I'm all for resigning him, other days I'm fine with offering him a qualifying offer and seeing where that takes him.

Turn Off Ads?