Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: 7/13/13 - Reds @ Bravos

Re: 7/13/13 - Reds @ Bravos

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    Braves announcers alluded to how maddeningly inconsistent Bailey is. They seemed astonished that Bailey isn't more successful with his stuff.
    Personally, I think they are correct. The two no-hitters attest to his ceiling but then he seems to mail it in.

I'm thinking that Homer didn't grow up last year; he's still a bone-headed 'thrower'.

If he's not willing to sign a long term contract before the trading deadline ('cause I think he will at some point in his career become a 'quality pitcher') I'd trade him for any big right-handed bat I could get.

JMO.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    To be fair, losing BJ Upton and Heyward were probably net wins for them
    I agree with that. One has been Nate Colbert 1975-76 terrible all year and the other is like a RH Reggie Taylor for the last 2 months.

Yet the team is 2nd in the league in OPS vs LHP (one point below the dodgers). Thank goodness for Bruce and Votto
    Thank goodness for 98 walks and 17 HBP against lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thank goodness for 98 walks and 17 HBP against lefties.

If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    yeah we had that Stubbs fellow last year.
    Yeah, we did. And he was not without his moments, but there is no question we are better for having Choo.

But think about the other pieces - and we can include the guys still currently on the team who are injured - as well as the guys no longer here.

There are so many people who want to compare this year's team to last year's. I just don't see the relevance nor value.

How many times, in a 5 game series, does a team that goes on the road for the first 2 come home and need to win only one yet lose all 3? That almost NEVER happens. But it did to this team last year...this mythical, magical team that choked in a way that is almost never seen in professional sports.

This is NOT the same team as last year's. So many times we're given the status/record of last year's bunch in comparison as a shot of codeine when we lament the status of our current bunch. But it just doesn't hold any weight. Sure, does it demonstrate the fact that baseball's a weird game and that anything can happen? Yeah. Does it illustrate the fact that the season is not over and perhaps we shouldn't panic? Yeah, I'll go with that too. But comparisons between the 2012 and 2013 Reds should not go any further. Heck, if I wanted to, using that logic, I could argue that Stubbs was more useful to the Reds than Choo if they win fewer than 97 games. We're not presently on pace to do that. And we trail two teams in our division; granted, the argument could be made that ours is the toughest in baseball.

I just think the comparisons need to stop. And I hope....that if this team makes the playoffs, even as a WC team, we ride the lightning and win the whole thing even if we weren't a favorite going in, as we were last year.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (07-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Throw in 50 DPs as well.

Abject.
    Seems like 40 of them have been in the last three weeks.

9. Likes:

Ironman92 (07-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post

There are so many people who want to compare this year's team to last year's. I just don't see the relevance nor value.
    Its crucial. The issue right now is does this team lack talent or are talented players underachieving. If its the former, make some moves. if its the latter, stand pat and wait for people to heal up, and figure out whats necessary to get them to play up to their potential. Since last years team obviously had enough talent to win the division by nine games, we need to examine the differences between 2012 and 2013 in order to decide this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Its crucial. The issue right now is does this team lack talent or are talented players underachieving. If its the former, make some moves. if its the latter, stand pat and wait for people to heal up, and figure out whats necessary to get them to play up to their potential. Since last years team obviously had enough talent to win the division by nine games, we need to examine the differences between 2012 and 2013 in order to decide this issue.
    I just can't agree.

If 2012 was the bellwether for what we should be, why did we lose in the first round of the playoffs? Why did we struggle early? Why did we peak when we did? We can't duplicate any of that. Regardless of roster moves/trades, we can never replay last year and get the desired outcome in 2013 simply because of what happened in 2012. And all the players on both teams can play 100 seasons and never produce the same statistics.

There's no doubt last year's team was great and there's also no doubt that this year's team is made up, largely, of the same players. My point is relatively simple; not really meant to be some sort of Butterfly Effect argument but, at the same time - kinda, I guess....but there are critical differences between last year's team and this year's. Circumstances. Personnel. Reality. Correlation not implying causation.

We need a catcher and 1 more guy with a good plate approach (Luddy, while approach isn't great might help out enough)

Can't blame Votto for this, 1-3 with a walk. His OBP keeps going up!

July 26 and The Woverine can't get here fast enough
    And I hope he's bringing spell check.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    And I hope he's bringing spell check.
    I had a 113 degree fever yesterday. I think I was pretty close all things considered

I had a 113 degree fever yesterday. I think I was pretty close all things considered
    Holy fried eggs in the pan without the pan...hope you're feeling better, mate.

I may be over exaggerating for dramatic effect

I may be over exaggerating for dramatic effect
    Lol

Turn Off Ads?