Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trying to stay positive!

Trying to stay positive!

I have been tough on the Reds, especially in game threads as they frustrate the heck out of me!

From here on I will try and remain positive as much as possible. I think I can do this as long as they have the final wild card spot.

Currently they have a somewhat comfortable 4.5 lead for the final playoff spot. Yes a 1 game WC contest is a scary thought, but suck it up and win the game and you aren't really at a disadvantage anymore. Obviously your 2nd best pitcher would be going against someone's ace, but imo all of the Reds starting pitchers are pretty even. I don't see a huge advantage starting Cueto over Latos, or even Bailey, Arroyo, or especially Leake.

And right now they are 5 back from St.Louis and Pittsburgh. This is kind of a lot of games, but if the Reds can come out of the ASB with a Pittsburgh sweep I feel they have a chance.

Both St.Louis and Pitt have been coming back to earth lately, unfortunately the Reds have been sputtering and haven't been able to take advantage. Without looking at all three teams past 6 games, I do know if the Reds, instead of doing what they have been doing, were currently on a six game winning streak things would be much tighter.

What I'm saying is I think the Reds are just a nice winning streak away from being back in the division race.

And even if they don't win the division, getting the final WC spot isn't bad. It just means they MUST get it done in game 1. And honestly I would feel better about their chances playing at Pittsburgh then St.Louis, if that's how it pans out.
    We have playoff experience and Pittsburgh doesn't.

So sorry for being negative in game threads. I just love the Reds and yes I hate losing. But like I said, they still have a confortable lead for the WC and in the end making the playoffs is all that matters. Anything can happen if you get in.

And let's not forget we have Marshall, Broxton, and hopefully Ludwick coming back sometime in the future. That could really help us down the road.

But for crying out loud Reds, WIN THE FRICKIN GAME TODAY!. And please lose Pitt and St.L!
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 07-14-2013 at 09:10 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trying to stay positive!

Captain Obvious here, but the team just needs to play more consistently and they'll be fine. 5 games behind at this point is hardly insurmountable.

Also, it helps to put things in context. A nice lead for the WC spot. Only 5 games back in their division. If they were in the NL West or the AL Central they'd be in first place. They'd be a close second in the NL East or the AL West. Obviously that doesn't mean much, but it does help put this team's abilities in context.

The Reds have the 4th best record in the NL and if the season ended today would be in the playoffs.

Given everything else, that itself is more than enough reason for optimism.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Well, it was encouraging to see the Reds' offense do pretty well against the Braves.
    We also split the 4 games series.. Encouraging.

It's not impossible to win the division, but the fact that we are about 5 games behind 2 teams is going to make it difficult.

How knows, maybe we'll take 3 out of 4 from the Pirates after the AS break and get closer to them.
    We have a lot of games left with the Cards and Pirates, so it's possible.

Right now, I'll be happy to be one of the wildcard teams. I'm not getting upset anymore when they lose ground to Pitt or StL.. I just want them to hold on to the WC.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Interesting fan's perspective in this thread...

Division-We're only 5 back, no big deal
    Wildcard-We're up by a comfortable 4.5

At some point, the Reds are going to have to get some help to knock off the Cards and/or Pirates. Those two teams cannot keep up this torrid pace. If they do, its going to be a very short post season for the Reds.

To me, winning a wild card spot would be disappointing. This team was supposed to win the division. I don't care that they lost key players to injury. Good teams find ways to overcome those kinds of obstacles. If they finish third, and win the last wildcard slot, and barely make it in, it is bittersweet.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Trying to stay positive!

Anyone who isn't positive about this season is crazy. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't think they've played their best baseball, and are still in position for the playoffs. Barring anymore major injuries I think they are in the crapshoot known as the playoffs.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 07-15-2013 at 10:37 PM.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (07-16-2013),westofyou (07-15-2013)

I completely agree. They're 11 games over .500 and despite some of the recent issues have done a lot of things very well. By all means, I think they have a great shot.

Turn Off Ads?