Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dog spay question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dog spay question

I've done some digging on the internet but Redszone is still one of my best sources for random advice. And it's been proven that a lot of people here are seasoned pet owners...

My puppy (six months old) got spayed on Thursday. She spent the night at the vet's on Thursday and when I picked her up on Friday morning she seemed to be doing very well. She's been eating and drinking fine, has been very thirsty actually, and has had a good amount of energy if not up to her normal standards. I've been keeping the cone on her when I can't watch her to keep her away from her stitches, which haven't seemed to bother her too much. And I've been limiting her exercise to just going outside and doing what she needs to do, and trying to keep her from jumping on and off furniture (with limited success).

She's had a touch of diarrhea, moreso yesterday than today, which can be a side effect of the pain meds she'll be on for three more days.

But starting today she's been much more lethargic. She's spending a lot of time in enclosed spaces (under furniture, as close to me as possible) and seems generally uncomfortable and sleepy and sad. I've checked her incision several times and it seems just a little red, but no swelling or oozing or stitch problems that I can see. It's also quite hot here today which may be a factor.

I'm sure I'm just being a nervous pet owner; I'm just a little weirded out since the lethargy and discomfort seems to have just kicked in three days after surgery. Wondered if anyone had any advice based on previous experience. Thanks!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Re: Dog spay question

If you're worried take her back to the vet.

I would keep an eye on her, my dog was almost 100% after 2 days in fact I had to hold her back. The hiding under things would concern me, my dog does that when she is not well.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I would keep an eye on her, my dog was almost 100% after 2 days in fact I had to hold her back. The hiding under things would concern me, my dog does that when she is not well.
    Mine was back to normal after a few days too. I'd at least call the vet and see what they say.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'd take her to the vet or at least stay with her constantly today and book an appointment for tomorrow. It's better to have your vet think you're a quasi-annoying doting pet owner than for you to regret not taking her in for something serious. You know your pet better than anyone. IIRC correctly, someone on here is a vet.
    Stick to your guns.

You should listen to CinChili he's a doctor

Thanks everyone. The vet is closed today, and so far I don't think this warrants the emergency animal hospital, so I'll just keep a close eye on her and call the vet in the morning (they are quite used to me being quasi-annoying/doting; much to my chagrin, I am THAT PARENT). Poor baby, I hate to see her not feeling well

8. Likes:

redsfanmia (07-14-2013)

Don't leave us hanging. How is the puppy doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Don't leave us hanging. How is the puppy doing?
    Thanks for checking in She was the same all morning and the vet asked me to bring her in. Apparently she was having a bad reaction to her pain meds. They pulled her off them and I'm giving her an anti-diarrheal and pepcid (!) for her stomach. She seems better already. Still tired but no more furniture hiding and she is even playing a little bit. They said her wound is healing great so that is good news.

It's so nice to have a vet you trust, makes such a difference I feel like. Our vet is fantastic and the dog loves her and all the techs. Which makes sense, I guess, given that she's been there four out of the last five business days.

11. Likes:

757690 (07-17-2013),Boss-Hog (07-15-2013),cumberlandreds (07-15-2013),dabvu2498 (07-15-2013),Raisor (07-17-2013),redsfanmia (07-15-2013),RichRed (07-15-2013),Sea Ray (07-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Thanks for checking in She was the same all morning and the vet asked me to bring her in. Apparently she was having a bad reaction to her pain meds. They pulled her off them and I'm giving her an anti-diarrheal and pepcid (!) for her stomach. She seems better already. Still tired but no more furniture hiding and she is even playing a little bit. They said her wound is healing great so that is good news.

It's so nice to have a vet you trust, makes such a difference I feel like. Our vet is fantastic and the dog loves her and all the techs. Which makes sense, I guess, given that she's been there four out of the last five business days.
    Its nice having a vet you trust!

Awesome to hear she is doing better
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Good news! I did not like the description of her behavior in the original post; I'd have been worried, too.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Good news.

Yes, she must have sensed all your well wishes, as she squeezed three days of missed activity and energy entirely into yesterday.

16. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-20-2013),cumberlandreds (07-18-2013),redsfanmia (07-17-2013)

It's all fun and games till someone ends up in a cone.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?