Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All-Star game lineups

Re: All-Star game lineups

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    The Reds are due for some good performances out of their all stars. Seems like they always do nothing.
    I wish Dunner could have added 10 more feet to the fly ball he hit in the '02 game.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The NL really starters don't really include any true "sluggers". Closest the NL comes may be Pedro Alvarez and Dom Brown, but they're both first-timers. Perhaps that's because once you become an older slugger you go to the AL so you can DH.

It just seems like there used to be more Joe Carter, Kevin Mitchell, Greg Vaughn types who weren't awesome "complete hitters", but were scary power threats. I suppose Jay Bruce would fit that mold had he made it....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

8.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I'm thinking hitters wins out over sluggers in most of these situations. But who knows, maybe we see another 1971 game.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

http://news.cincinnati.com/interacti...-star-database

Apologies if this has been posted before, but this is a pretty cool database of every Reds player to play in an All-Star game. The fact that Bench appeared 14 times just floors me.

6. Likes:

Always Red (07-16-2013), New York Red (07-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/interacti...-star-database

Apologies if this has been posted before, but this is a pretty cool database of every Reds player to play in an All-Star game. The fact that Bench appeared 14 times just floors me.
    I'm counting 67 combined AS game appearances by members of the BRM, though it's a blurry line as to what season the BRM "officially" began. Thanks for the link. Maybe worthy of it's own thread.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I'm counting 67 combined AS game appearances by members of the BRM, though it's a blurry line as to what season the BRM "officially" began. Thanks for the link. Maybe worthy of it's own thread.
    From someone looking from the outside in, due to being born after the BRM, whenever I think of the BRM, it's just '75 and '76. Now, I realize that the Reds were great THROUGHOUT the 70's and a lot/most of those guys were on the team before/after that period, but those two teams are THE BRM to me.

Just like the '90 Reds are the Wire-to-Wire Reds, the the 1919 team are the ones that beat the Black Sox.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    From someone looking from the outside in, due to being born after the BRM, whenever I think of the BRM, it's just '75 and '76. Now, I realize that the Reds were great THROUGHOUT the 70's and a lot/most of those guys were on the team before/after that period, but those two teams are THE BRM to me.
    That's exactly why I asked. I think a lot of people feel the same way, that the BRM was just the 75/76 repeat champs, but I'm pretty sure the nickname was in place before then.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Wikipedia answers all questions: "The nickname was introduced in a July 4, 1969 article by Bob Hertzel in The Cincinnati Enquirer, but gained prominence in reference to the 1970 team,which posted a regular season record of 102-60 and won the National League pennant."

11. Likes:

New York Red (07-16-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Wikipedia answers all questions: "The nickname was introduced in a July 4, 1969 article by Bob Hertzel in The Cincinnati Enquirer, but gained prominence in reference to the 1970 team,which posted a regular season record of 102-60 and won the National League pennant."
    I always think of the birth of the Machine as being when Bench joined Rose and Perez, which was 1968, a year before Hertzel gave it a name.

Btw, Hertzel is still working, in Morgantown, WV.

Thanks, NR. I was an avid collector of Sports Illustrated as a kid, beginning around 1969 (thanks, Dad) and I was pretty sure I'd seen the term BRM in the magazine long before the 75 and 76 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I wish Dunner could have added 10 more feet to the fly ball he hit in the '02 game.
    I simply thought that was a no doubter....just missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I always think of the birth of the Machine as being when Bench joined Rose and Perez, which was 1968, a year before Hertzel gave it a name.

Btw, Hertzel is still working, in Morgantown, WV.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...3814/index.htm

When they win they refer to themselves as The Big Red Machine, as in, "The Big Red Machine won again. Let's hear it for the machine! Yeah, machine!" When they lose.... But that's the point. When do they lose? A straining National League has been asking itself the question through spring and into early summer. As of last weekend the Cincinnati Reds were 32 games above .500 and 9 games ahead of the Los Angeles Dodgers. The longest losing streak they had known all season had stopped at two.

Now, the Dodgers are a good baseball team. Were they in the Easy, Easy East this year they would be running away from all those Metsies, Pirates, Cubbies and Cardinals. But they are in the West, and their view of the pennant race is not remarkably different from the one greeting visitors to Cincinnati: a forest of BIG RED MACHINE stickers pasted on the rear of what seems like every car in town.

Not since 1955 and the old Brooklyn Dodgers has a club in, traditionally, baseball's tightest league entered the month of July playing over .700 ball.

I had that edition, WOY, and many others. I ruined them though, because when I was a kid I would cut out pictures and covers from SI (and other magazines) and scotch tape them to my bedroom walls. I had the most awesome looking bedroom a baseball-loving kid could ever have, but I destroyed what could have been an amazing SI collection. Oh well, young and dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I think it's been a few years now, they use the DH every year no matter where the game is.
    You know, with the game actually meaning something it seems to me that using NL or AL rules based on the park makes more sense now than it ever did before.

And I don't just say that because it would be a slight advantage to the NL every year.
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I had that edition, WOY, and many others. I ruined them though, because when I was a kid I would cut out pictures and covers from SI (and other magazines) and scotch tape them to my bedroom walls. I had the most awesome looking bedroom a baseball-loving kid could ever have, but I destroyed what could have been an amazing SI collection. Oh well, young and dumb.
    I did the exact same dumb thing.

Turn Off Ads?