Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Paul D - Small Sample

Re: Paul D - Small Sample

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Sounds like pretty much every other thread on the board.
    Disagree. It's pretty unclear from the get-go what the topic of this thread is about. Every other thread I see on the page (with the the possible exception of "Longevity Stats...HOF?") is transparent about what it is supposed to be about. This one -- despite its many tangents -- continues to be about Paul Daugherty's relationship to advanced stats. "Small Sample" remains mysterious to me indeed.

No biggie. I know there are plenty of obscure titles posted here. Just thought it might be useful to consider a change for a thread at 226 and still going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    "Small Sample" remains mysterious to me indeed.

Any serious RZ poster will knows what "Small Sample" in the thread title means.

4. Likes:

Always Red (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-18-2013),Norm Chortleton (07-18-2013),Red in Chicago (07-18-2013),reds44 (07-18-2013),westofyou (07-18-2013),wheels (07-26-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    I'm not serious, but I am definitely mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Disagree. It's pretty unclear from the get-go what the topic of this thread is about. Every other thread I see on the page (with the the possible exception of "Longevity Stats...HOF?") is transparent about what it is supposed to be about. This one -- despite its many tangents -- continues to be about Paul Daugherty's relationship to advanced stats. "Small Sample" remains mysterious to me indeed.

No biggie. I know there are plenty of obscure titles posted here. Just thought it might be useful to consider a change for a thread at 226 and still going.
    Myself and the other moderators on RZ have assuredly been reading the threads here and will take care of anything like this.

If you have a serious moderation request please send me or anyone else on the team a PM and we can try and take care of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

7. Likes:

dabvu2498 (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-18-2013),RedEye (07-19-2013),RedlegJake (07-26-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    High Five!

High Five!
    I think you owe Nate a dollar

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    No. They. Have. Never. Heard. Of. WAR.

Serious baseball fans come in all varieties. In my short time on TORG, I've been involved in threads with 2 guys who could probably teach a class on sabermetrics. One of them started a thread because he didn't know the role of a first base coach. One of them will still try to tell you that Dusty/Price relay the calls for every pitch in to the catchers. Those are things I would expect adult fans with baseball knowledge/experience to know. But I would never say they aren't serious baseball fans. To the contrary, they are very serious, good fans. One size doesn't fit all.
    They may not know what it is, or care, but they certainly have heard it mentioned by someone, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    They may not know what it is, or care, but they certainly have heard it mentioned by someone, somewhere.
    Maybe, but the assertion was that it is a mainstream stat and it just isn't.

I get exposure to WAR on Redszone and when I seek it out. I haven't really seen it used much in a run of the mill article or as something in an article or on a telecast that gets mentioned to describe a player's skillset. There are articles that may dive deeply that reference WAR, wOBA, wRC+, UZR, etc. But those specialized articles that go so in depth aren't what I'd call mainsteam. Stat oriented fans may read these articles, but the average but still serious fans basically go with the traditional stuff or stuff they may need for their fantasy league.

OBP and Slugging have been around a long time but have taken a back seat to the triple crown stats (AVG, HR RBI for hitters, ERA, WINS, and Saves for pitchers). The new base stealing era, which started with Wills, brought Stolen bases and runs scored back. The flurry of high K arms that started with Koufax and proliferated with Seaver, Carlton, Ryan and others drove up the K numbers and made them more discussed. Fantasy Baseball came along and set certain stats apart (AVG, HR, RBI, SB, W, S, ERA). Fantasy even was responsilble for adding a stat, WHIP, which was rarely, if ever, used prior to Fantasy baseball. Later, Runs Scored and K's joined the game. I'd say these are the mainstream stats now. OPS has made a lot of inroads and brought OBP and Slugging into the limelight but they are still on the fringe of the mainstream with some specialty stats like CS%, Quality Starts, Holds, Fielding percentage and situational splts.

Stats like wOBA, RC+, FIP and others may be more intense and add accuracy, but I wouldn't call then mainstream. WAR is still behind those in terms of accuracy and exposure IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Okay, I still think it might be useful to come up with a better working definition of the word "mainstream" here. Clearly, using the idea of a "serious" baseball fan went nowhere.

The other issue is that just because some baseball fans have not heard of WAR does not mean that it is not a mainstream statistic. I consider myself a fan of movies, but I am hardly aware of every single movie released to mainstream theaters every weekend. That does not mean they aren't mainstream -- it's just I haven't heard of them. That's especially true of genres like horror and "tween" pics, to which I pay less attention since I'm not as interested. But they are, most assuredly, still mainstream Hollywood fare.

RedEye, I like you as a poster, but I'm not sure I get why you're trying to play moderator so much lately. They can handle their jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

14. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-19-2013),dabvu2498 (07-19-2013),Larkin Fan (07-19-2013),mth123 (07-19-2013),New York Red (07-20-2013),Red in Chicago (07-26-2013),westofyou (07-19-2013),wheels (07-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    RedEye, I like you as a poster, but I'm not sure I get why you're trying to play moderator so much lately. They can handle their jobs.
    No problem. Just a suggestion. My last post was intended as a continuation of the conversation, actually, not a moderation suggestion.

For those of you debating how well known WAR is, well Topps have decided to include it on the backs of cards

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...of-cards-soon/

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    For those of you debating how well known WAR is, well Topps have decided to include it on the backs of cards

Next debate

How well known is Topps these days?

18. Likes:

Big Klu (07-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post

Unfortunately, baseball card collecting is now a niche hobby again, so this adds nothing to the pro-mainstream side of the debate. j/k

Turn Off Ads?