Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul D - Small Sample

Re: Paul D - Small Sample

I'd comment, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can lead a beat writer to information but you can't make him learn.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

dougdirt (07-15-2013),Trajinous (07-15-2013),TRF (07-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I suspect Daugherty reads this site and delights in pushing its hot button issues. I say ignore him.

5. Likes:

dabvu2498 (07-15-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd comment, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can lead a beat writer to information but you can't make him learn.
    Doc has way more time on his hands than a beat writer does. He trusts his eyeballs more than the totality of the numbers, and obviously is very old school. get off my lawn.

He's actually a gifted writer when not writing about the Reds. Whenever he writes about his daughter, I get a tear in my eye. or something.

I read his blog, but not the comments, and apparently, he has been taking a beating there even from his mostly loyal crowd.
    sorry we're boring

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    The "masses" eat this stuff up, Doug, and quote it like it's scripture.

They're not reading fangraphs, Poz, McCracken and Nate Silver.

They're reading Doc, and listening to Lance, Marty and Thom. And most are sufficiently satiated with baseball to stop there and go no further, they have all they need and want.

I had this own revelation of mine when I came here in 2006. I had been spending a lot of time at b-ref.com and noticed all the other stats that I did not recognize. It's all been part of my baseball education, but frankly, most fans never get that far, and I know I'll never get as far saber-wise as some do here, I just don't have the time to spend on it.
    And if those guys (I will exclude Lance because he actually does get the new stats) all did their due diligence to sit down for a few hours and take a look at the evidence and then start using better stats, the masses would start eating that crap up and quoting it like scripture. But they don't and for 99% of baseball fans, the newspaper writers and broadcasters of the team are the experts they lean on to tell them what is important.

8. Likes:

RedEye (07-15-2013)

I agree with what everyone else has said, so a big "ditto" will suffice.

However, I will add that the main reason why I don't read any of his stuff is that it seems he doesn't like watching the Reds play. And I don't mean lately, I mean since the beginning of the season. He's practically said as much. Why should I care about his opinions then? He's certainly entitled to them, but looking at this article proves yet again that I don't need to waste my time reading them.

And the bigger question is why does the paper pay him to write for them?

10. Likes:

RedEye (07-15-2013),Trajinous (07-15-2013)

Paul D - Small Sample

In the not so near future, Daughtery will not have a platform to delver his message. I don't like the idea of newspapers going away, but I won't miss hacks like him. Their idea of hanging on is to become "shock" writers, to tick people off for discussion sake, and the quality has gone in the toilet. Quite frankly, they're jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

They're reading Doc, and listening to Lance, Marty and Thom. And most are sufficiently satiated with baseball to stop there and go no further, they have all they need and want.
    Don't forget about Skinner and Collins on Channel 12 news!

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Don't forget about Skinner and Collins on Channel 12 news!
    Deys smarts is awesome

The Phillips bashing on this site is mind-boggling.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Oh good, a liner for my dog's crate. Now, just to find a place where I can still buy the Enquirer...

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I haven't seen anybody bashing Phillips. Or was this supposed to be sarcasm?

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-15-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Pointing out a statistical reality: the new "bashing"

The "bashing" please tell me who is "bashing"

I don't see any bashing I just see people not falling all over themselves to give a guy credit beyond what he deserves while the guy who deserves credit getting slammed because he's got less RBIs but better numbers all over the diamond.

20. Likes:

Razor Shines (07-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Not sarcasm at all. Every time someone starts a thread that's complimentary of Brandon Phillips, it immediately turns into a discussion about his negatives. Every single time.

Obviously, you've missed the entire point of this thread. Nobody has bashed Phillips.

Turn Off Ads?