We can't point at that as being who he is, he's having a great season in 28% of his ab's. But we can't also say Joey Votto has less RBIs than Phillips therefore he's not having as good a season and then not at least point out what he does in the other ab's that doesn't find a runner on base.
This is the classic Garrett Anderson is the best player on the Angels argument, and he's who stayed while Edmonds got dealt
Votto leads the league in intentional walks. Considering who is hitting behind him, how does that play into the discussion?
I've seen the stats the entire first half where BP ranks in RBI, RISP w/2out RBI, go-ahead RBI, game-tying RBI, late game RBI, etc. He's been at or near the top of the league the whole time, despite the fact that wasn't even supposed to be his role entering the season. He hasn't just gotten it done, he's gotten it done when it mattered most.
You can disagree all you want, but the fact is BP has been a savior with his RBI production in the four spot. I'd hate to think where we'd be in the division standings without his RBIs (and Bruce's).
"I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN
It seems to me that BP is being argued as the Reds MVP because of one stat, RBI... If we aren't happy with Joey's production then how about Jay as the team's MVP? He leads the league in doubles, 5th in HRs, 5th in RBI, has an OPS 100 pts higher than BP, he's 9th in the league in hits, 2nd in XBH, and 3rd in total bases. I'd venture to say that BP has also had more RBI opportunities than Bruce which would be the reason he has more RBI. What would Jay's RBI total look like if he were hitting 4th with a .950 OPS guy in front of him instead of a .730 OPS guy?
BP has been a huge part of this team's success and he will need to be going forward if this team expects to win big... And while I'm damn glad he's a Red, he is in no way shape or form the team's MVP. Joey's the MVP and everyone outside of the Cincy media (PDoc, Marty, Thom, Cowboy) know it.
I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager
But what I am getting at, is the question of, are each of those 28% of at-bats equal in value to the other each of the other 72% of his at bats? I say no, so I think it is oversimplifying things to say well Brandon only does well in 28% of AB's. You are right, he has stunk at getting on base in his other 72%, but those are at-bats of less importance to me because they don't necessarily directly lead to runs with a positive outcome.
To simplify, here is an either or scenario...would you rather have a guy OPS 1.000 with RISP and OPS .500 with the bases empty or the other way around? If I'm weighting at-bats, I'd rather a guy be more successful with RISP than not. Which BP has done, through what I believe, no skill of his own, but it counts.
And hey, I totally get that lots of heavy lifting has already been done when BP comes to bat. But for some reason when the heavy lifting has been done for him, he is right near the top of the league in coming thru so far this year in terms of rate.
Poster A makes a post
Poster B makes horrible inaccurate statement/accusation about that post.
Poster A comes back with actually that's not at all what my post said.
Poster B, ever the charmer, drops the famous "no need to lose your cool, why are you being so defensive?"
Makes me wish it was November already.
Last edited by Razor Shines; 07-16-2013 at 03:02 AM.
"I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."
Situational Hitting is Stupid
Phillips has a 1.029 OPS w/RISP. That's insanely good. Will he continue to hit like that? Chances are likely no. Will Votto probably stay on his same course? More than likely than Brandon. To me, Paul D's argument is poor as he just gives Brandon's numbers without any relation to Joey's.
Votto's numbers would be better if he had an actual 2 hitter in front of him and hasn't had to lead off an inning 90 times...
Always Red (07-16-2013)