Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1964 All-Star Game

Re: 1964 All-Star Game

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Callison wins the game with a homer......in a Mets helmet.
    Good eye--that is a Mets helmet Callison has on.
    Of the players in the photo, Johnny Edwards wore no. 6 with the Reds and is clearly the player on the far left of the photo. Walter Alston is no. 24 just to the right of Callison. Dick Groat is no. 24 in a Cardinals uniform to Callison's immediate left. Curt Flood is just behind Groat's right shoulder. Just behind Flood is another Cardinal, Ken Boyer, with somebody in street clothes to Boyer's left. Roberto Clemente is no. 21 in a Pirates uniform. Behind Clemente are Billy Williams, no. 26, and Ron Santo, both Cubs. Behind Santo is Casey Stengel.
    In addition to the guy in street clothes that leaves the player in a jacket facing Callison (Juan Marichal?), the player just behind Groat (Willie Mays?), and the player to Groat's right (I'm guessing it is Bill Mazeroski since I believe only the Pirates and Reds wore sleeveless jerseys then-the Pirate all stars were Maz, Clemente and Stargell, and that guy looks too small to be Stargell).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Likes:

redsmetz (07-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

You'll also notice in this picture that Edwards is wearing, what looks to be, a Cardinals batting helmet. The Reds wore white ones with a red bill.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwCQ&dur=412

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    You'll also notice in this picture that Edwards is wearing, what looks to be, a Cardinals batting helmet. The Reds wore white ones with a red bill.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwCQ&dur=412
    Interesting find. I just went and checked. As I suspected, the Cards opened a series with the Mets right after the break.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    He must have been considered a giant at the time. He looks huge in that pic. What role did he play in that game?
    Box score says he made an out and was intentionally walked. Lo0oks like he was the catcher at the end of the game.

It is interesting to see a 6'4" player loom like a giant over the other players. These days 6'4" doesn't make you stand out as large at Dayton.
    The world has changed in 50 years.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Good eye--that is a Mets helmet Callison has on.
    Of the players in the photo, Johnny Edwards wore no. 6 with the Reds and is clearly the player on the far left of the photo. Walter Alston is no. 24 just to the right of Callison. Dick Groat is no. 24 in a Cardinals uniform to Callison's immediate left. Curt Flood is just behind Groat's right shoulder. Just behind Flood is another Cardinal, Ken Boyer, with somebody in street clothes to Boyer's left. Roberto Clemente is no. 21 in a Pirates uniform. Behind Clemente are Billy Williams, no. 26, and Ron Santo, both Cubs. Behind Santo is Casey Stengel.
    In addition to the guy in street clothes that leaves the player in a jacket facing Callison (Juan Marichal?), the player just behind Groat (Willie Mays?), and the player to Groat's right (I'm guessing it is Bill Mazeroski since I believe only the Pirates and Reds wore sleeveless jerseys then-the Pirate all stars were Maz, Clemente and Stargell, and that guy looks too small to be Stargell).
    Good job! That is Juan Marichal in the jacket in front of Callison. Orlando Cepeda is behind Walter Alston. I believe number 33 is Ron Hunt of the Mets...and did anyone mention Fred Hutchinson?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

8. Likes:

Always Red (07-16-2013)

It used to be a big deal for AS players to wear batting helmets of teammate.

A few years back, I was at an OSU football game where they inducted players into the OSU HoF. John Edwards was one of the inductees. My dad and I had a competition where I was a huge Edwards fan and he liked Don Pavletich. People probably wondered why I cheered so hard for Edwards with a little tear in my eye for the remembrance.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

redsmetz (07-16-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Anyone else but me see Fred Hutchinson in that picture?

He passed away 4 months later

Johnny Edwards was a heck of a defensive catcher, winning 2 Gold Gloves, in 1963 and '64.

Last edited by Always Red; 07-16-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    sorry we're boring

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-17-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Remember it well. the Phillies were the bomb with Johnny Callison, et al. My fellow 15 year olds gathered in front of our new color TV to watch. It was played in the afternoon (what a novel idea), and we sat with our soft drinks and ice cream to see what would happen. Callison was the star, but the season came down to the Reds blowing it all in the last days of the season. I was devastated. Still remember the WLW commercials talking about the "first place Cincinnati Reds." And then it all was over. Quick. Heck, I'm still mad about the Frank Robinson trade, almost 50 years later, but that's baseball. Old 30 my rear end.
    Really that was the year the Phillies blew it. They had a 6 1/2 game lead with 12 to play.

That was the year of Chico "Flippin" Ruiz, who accidentally stole home plate down the stretch.

The Reds certainly had a chance to win it the last day, with Tsitouris was chosen to pitch the last game and pitched poorly.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

The Reds certainly had a chance to win it the last day, with Tsitouris was chosen to pitch the last game and pitched poorly.
    Let's not speak of that pitcher. I still haven't quite gotten over that game yet.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

See my post which is only a couple before your post.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

16. Likes:

Always Red (07-17-2013)

Really that was the year the Phillies blew it. They had a 6 1/2 game lead with 12 to play.

That was the year of Chico "Flippin" Ruiz, who accidentally stole home plate down the stretch.

You speak truth and, yes, I'm still mad over it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

He passed away 4 months later

Johnny Edwards was a heck of a defensive catcher, winning 2 Gold Gloves, in 1963 and '64.

That is Hutch, wearing number 1, in that photo.
    Hutch isn't in another photo, the photo that I previously commented on.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?