Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ken Griffey Jr

Re: Ken Griffey Jr

Oh, this is so great, Tom. Really wonderful writeup.

Griffey's life and career are the stuff of great dramatic material, with, IMHO, the seeming stability of his personal life as the balance to keep it from skewing into melodrama. Give it a couple more decades and it's going to be quite a movie if it's handled well.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not sure we'll ever see something else like the 'circus' of Griffey coming home like we did back in February of 2000. The superstar son of a former Reds great wanting to come home as the best player in the game....just not gonna see it again I don't believe. Shane Larkin went to basketball. Trey Griffey isn't playing baseball right now either. There just aren't that many opportunities for things like this to happen.

I enjoyed cheering for him all those years, but yes they do seem like a distant memory.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I was so excited, and I was nearly 40 at the time.

I was sure it was the second coming of the BRM, or maybe even something bigger. KGJ coming home, and Carl Lindner stepping up- and Mr. Lindner had unparalleled success at everything he did up until he owned the Reds.

There was such hope. It was sad to see Griffey end his career so injury prone; and for Lindner to be such a poor owner, well that made me mad, what he allowed John Allen to do in selling the team off like spare parts.

That's what happens when business people own a team, people who have no passion for baseball, but passion only for their business.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Oh, this is so great, Tom. Really wonderful writeup.

Griffey's life and career are the stuff of great dramatic material, with, IMHO, the seeming stability of his personal life as the balance to keep it from skewing into melodrama. Give it a couple more decades and it's going to be quite a movie if it's handled well.
    I tend to romanticize occurrences that are seemingly spontaneous (especially in baseball)...but I was thinking about this the other day:

In 1965 the Reds finished 4th in the division. What needed to happen in order to finally take the elusive divison crown? Soon after, in 1966, Bill Dewitt (in this sense it pains me to say we so I won't) traded away an "Old 30" Frank Robinson. Coming off his 6th All-Star Season with an MVP under his belt, the media and fans could only scratch their heads at the move. And we all know the rest, as Robinson went on to win an additional MVP, 2 WS rings, etc before finishing a Hall-Of-Fame career.

Then, the 1999 season happened. We had finished 2nd yet again even after winning 96 games! The team needed that one last boost to push them into contention for the pennant...and soon after we traded for the (you guessed it) 30-year-old superstar and local boy Ken Griffey Jr! It seemed as though he was the answer to our prayers! We had high hopes and great expectations after he signed a 9-year contract, but no one could anticipate the rest of Jr's career was to be plagued by injury. It wasn't long after this trade that the Reds virtually fell into a chasm, and the first page of "The Lost Decade" was turned...

I know the story is somewhat macabre, but I saw a lot of similarities between the stories of Robinson and Jr. The trades were significant moves, with one that traded away an MVP and the other brough an MVP in. And with regard to Reds history, they didn't pan out at all.

But that's baseball...
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

6. Likes:

WVRedsFan (07-18-2013)

^ so what's the moral of the story on 30 year old players whom have been great?

Buy or sell?

This franchise was burned twice. FRobby continued his great ways, KGJ fell into the injury well.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    ^ so what's the moral of the story on 30 year old players whom have been great?

Buy or sell?

This franchise was burned twice. FRobby continued his great ways, KGJ fell into the injury well.
    The two are not related at all...but the stories themsleves have some interesting comparisons in my eyes. That's all I was trying to say.
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

9. Likes:

Always Red (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    The two are not related at all...but the stories themsleves have some interesting comparisons in my eyes. That's all I was trying to say.
    Of course they're not related at all, but you have tied them together in Reds history in a way I haven't thought of before.

If you have Robinson and Griffey, both at 30, which do you keep and which do you sell? Griffey was more accomplished, and seemed the better bet. Both were HoF caliber at age 30.

How do you know which to keep? No one seemed a better bet than KGJ- great kid, family man, no injury history at all. Coming back to where he grew up, motivated. What a tragic story.

As you say, it just shows what a crapshoot baseball can be sometimes.

11. Likes:

Joseph (07-17-2013)

I will always be thankful of Lindner for bringing Griffey Jr to Cincinnati. What I wish was somebody in his family would have got him to go further and build around Jr. A billionaire isnt going to loose money doing that here!!.. After 99, I was so pumped for 2000. But then seeing the Reds let their leader Greg Vaughn walk(I have a deep feeling he could have been a huge valuable piece batting 4th after JR with protection in the lineup and a vocal leader in the clubhouse) AND not addressing the pitching. AND then think if the Reds would have got Rolen in 2002 how that would have helped this team then. I heard Lindner nixed a Rolen for Scott Williams and Larson righte before the Cardinals got him. I was so mad when i saw the Reds didnt get Rolen knowing he wanted to be a Red back in 2002!!! I feel if Lindner would have done the little things, Griffey would have had a ring here. Who knows if he still gets hurt, but I will always be thankful I got to see Jr play for the Reds(saw only 4 Jr homers in person) I was sad when the Reds traded him to the Whitesox but was glad he went back to the Mariners for his last season and a 1/4.. Still wish he had waited till the Reds played the Mariners before he quit playing.. That woudl have been special to see.,,,

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

The greatest swing ever...here's to you ...KID!!!

14. Likes:

marcshoe (07-18-2013), RadfordVA (07-18-2013), WVRedsFan (07-18-2013)

Just had my 3rd son on Tuesday. Named him Griffin. One of the reasons was to call him Griffey for short. Was my favorite player before he came to the Reds. Unfortunate things didn't work out as we all hoped here but he is the reason I became as big a reds fan as I am today.

16. Likes:

mdccclxix (07-18-2013)

Some more pics, I particularly like the last few

"Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

18. Likes:

GIK (07-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?