Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLB won't let Fox or ESPN show video of Pete Rose

Re: MLB won't let Fox or ESPN show video of Pete Rose

I heard this interview, it was on Dan Patrick. He said that MLB "frowns" on them doing it and would prefer they don't.

Which is stupid because well who wants to remember Pete Rose pitching bedroom sets with two balloons and face when they can watch him adjust his cup and run his hands through his Moe Howard doo?

2. Likes:

joshua (07-17-2013),TRF (07-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

We are talking about maybe a 10 second clip of Rose knocking over Fosse that we have all seen probally a thousand times. Sure it seems unfair but I have alot more important things to be upset about than this.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

5. Likes:

Beltway (07-16-2013),cumberlandreds (07-16-2013),New York Red (07-16-2013),Tom Servo (07-16-2013),westofyou (07-16-2013)

I just saw ESPN do a Top Ten Plays during All-Star games early this morning and they definitely showed Rose running into Fosse at home. Other top plays included Reggie Jackson hitting one out of the stadium in Detroit, Babe Ruth hitting the first home run in an ASG, Ted Williams hitting a three-run jack, some pitcher (Simmons?) striking out five straight HOFers and ,#1 play, Stan 'The Man' Musial hitting a walk-off home run in the twelfth. I didn't see the entire Top Ten so I wonder if Tony Perez's blast off Catfish Hunter in the 15th inning of the 1967 game made it.

7. Likes:

New York Red (07-16-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Being banned from baseball is the appropriate punishment. Not allowing FOX or ESPN to use footage of Rose goes too far. That's an attempt to wipe Rose from history.
    Last I checked, his numbers were still in the record books.

There is a difference between wiping him from history and suggesting they don't want to give someone banned from the game a national spotlight, even if it is just for a few seconds during arguably the biggest stage in all of baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Gambling almost ended the sport once upon a time. Yes, it wasn't at Pete's time, but the game took a very hard and firm stance when it came to gambling long before Pete ever put on an MLB uniform. He knew the rules. He pays the price.

As for MLB's stance on this: Good.
    Well I could make the argument that steroids has ruined the purity and reputation of baseball yet there are owners/gm's/managers and players all over the league that contributed to the steroid problem that still get to be a part of the game of baseball. You can say well steroids weren't banned, but we all know that's a bunch of bs. They are illegal to use in the united states of america.

I'm not refuting that Rose shouldn't have paid a great price, but there does seem to be an awfully big double standard when it comes to Rose's punishment and the fat head steroid users. Rose has paid his punishment in my opinion.

Welcome to the AS Break and our annual Pete Rose is getting shafted thread that will eventually turn into a steroids are worse than gambling thread.

Please keep your hands inside the car.

11. Likes:

Raisor (07-16-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Well I could make the argument that steroids has ruined the purity and reputation of baseball yet there are owners/gm's/managers and players all over the league that contributed to the steroid problem that still get to be a part of the game of baseball. You can say well steroids weren't banned, but we all know that's a bunch of bs. They are illegal to use in the united states of america.

I'm not refuting that Rose shouldn't have paid a great price, but there does seem to be an awfully big double standard when it comes to Rose's punishment and the fat head steroid users. Rose has paid his punishment in my opinion.
    I could say steroids weren't banned, but it would be a lie. Steroids have been banned by the CBA since 1991.

Here is the difference you are overlooking. One gets you suspended. The other gets you removed from the game forever. Those are the rules.

13. Likes:

reds44 (07-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I just saw ESPN do a Top Ten Plays during All-Star games early this morning and they definitely showed Rose running into Fosse at home. Other top plays included Reggie Jackson hitting one out of the stadium in Detroit, Babe Ruth hitting the first home run in an ASG, Ted Williams hitting a three-run jack, some pitcher (Simmons?) striking out five straight HOFers and ,#1 play, Stan 'The Man' Musial hitting a walk-off home run in the twelfth. I didn't see the entire Top Ten so I wonder if Tony Perez's blast off Catfish Hunter in the 15th inning of the 1967 game made it.
    I saw that too before I left out to work this morning. They didn't have Tony Perez blast. I was kinda surprised they had as many older plays in the top ten. Usually ESPN forgets about anything that happened before 1979.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

This is an example of making a story where there would be none. If it ain't broke, let's fix it 'til it is.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I could say steroids weren't banned, but it would be a lie. Steroids have been banned by the CBA since 1991.

Here is the difference you are overlooking. One gets you suspended. The other gets you removed from the game forever. Those are the rules.
    Obviously, those are the rules. The argument for the lifetime ban due to betting is that of upholding the "integrity of the game". The same people turning the blind eye to the roiders are many of the same people who are keeping Pete Rose out of baseball. Because the thousands of games played and the home runs hit by roiders were totally ethical and pure as to where the games managed by Pete where detriment to the game.

When they start implementing a lifetime ban for a first time steroid offense, then I'll be fine with Rose's punishment.

17. Likes:

remdog (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Agree 100%. Pete made his own bed.
    This isn't about Pete. This is about the fans.

Pete Rose is a part of baseball history whether MLB likes it or not. The fans want to see the greats. This shouldn't be about Pete making his bed. It should be about Major League Baseball not attempting to rewrite history as if it never happened.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

19. Likes:

joshua (07-17-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-17-2013),remdog (07-17-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Truth, but I fail to see how Pete did more damage to the game than PEDs. Bottom line is the "bottom line".

Players taking steroids at the time benefited baseball and brought it back into the spotlight. So pretending they didn't know was the thing to do financially.

Now, the thing to do is U-turn and pretend you really care and attempt ban today's juicers because they no longer serve your purpose.

Hypocrisy much?
    Players are told from day one that if they bet on baseball they will be banned for life.

Different story about steroinds.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    some pitcher (Simmons?) striking out five straight HOFers
    In the 1934 all star game Carl Hubbell struck out in order Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons and Joe Cronin.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

22. Likes:

Big Klu (07-17-2013),texasdave (07-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Players are told from day one that if they bet on baseball they will be banned for life.

Different story about steroinds.
    We aren't arguing what the rules and punishments are, we are arguing their hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    This isn't about Pete. This is about the fans.

Pete Rose is a part of baseball history whether MLB likes it or not. The fans want to see the greats. This shouldn't be about Pete making his bed. It should be about Major League Baseball not attempting to rewrite history as if it never happened.
    Except, they're not. Why would MLB want to promote somebody who did something so bad it got him banned from the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?