Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MLB won't let Fox or ESPN show video of Pete Rose

Re: MLB won't let Fox or ESPN show video of Pete Rose

If MLB was consistent and not hypocritical ( I know, I know, I am dreaming) then Pete Rose would not have been allowed on the All Century Team, but Bud & Co. saw an opportunity to make money on his appearance, so it was allowed.
    For that matter, MLB would cease using any theme music or anything else connected with "Field of Dreams." That movie prominently featured Shoeless Joe Jackson, who was part of a group that didn't bet on baseball-they intentionally lost the World Series.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (07-16-2013),coachpipe (07-17-2013),mbgrayson (07-16-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (07-16-2013),remdog (07-17-2013),Roy Tucker (07-17-2013),TSJ55 (07-16-2013),Yachtzee (07-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I find all of this silly. I've seen plenty of shows featuring Shoeless Joe before he got involved in the Black Sox scandal. Watched a history of the Cleveland Indians where they featured Shoeless Joe and Nap Lajoie as early greats in Indians' history, with nary a mention of the Black Sox scandal. There was no need to do anything here. Nobody's going to watch Rose running over Ray Fosse and think that betting on baseball is okay. The two things are unrelated. Of course, now that MLB is apparently getting involved in discouraging media outlets from showing Rose highlights, it just adds fuel to the fire that Rose and his supporters like to stoke claiming he's being unfairly persecuted by Selig. Better to just let sleeping dogs lie.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

5. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (07-16-2013),mbgrayson (07-16-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (07-16-2013),vaticanplum (07-17-2013)

I was at the AS game when Rose plowed over Fosse.

Is MLB going to do the Men In Black blinky thing to me to erase my memory?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

Big Klu (07-16-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (07-16-2013),coachpipe (07-17-2013),mbgrayson (07-16-2013),Number_Fourteen (07-17-2013),RedsBaron (07-17-2013),remdog (07-17-2013)

This reminds me of what used to happen in the Soviet Union when one of Stalin's fellow murderers fell into disfavor (and was executed)-the former comrade was airbrushed out of any photos made with Stalin.
    Pete Rose has no shortage of faults and his personality apparently drives some people crazy, and to inconsistency. A few years before he died Bob Feller was quoted as adamantly being opposed to Rose being in the HOF. I thought that was okay, I thought I understood why Feller thought that way---but then I also read of Feller supporting the induction into the HOF of Shoeless Joe Jackson.
    The irony of Bud Selig & friends efforts against Rose is that they are creating an image of Rose as a victim of persecution. Pete Rose was not the best player of his generation but, among players during his prime, he may be the best remembered and the most talked about today. Bud is making sure that Rose does not fade away.
    I can recall an article by Bill James decades ago wherein James wherein wrote that the years and years of Enos Slaughter not being selected to the HOF had been keeping his memory alive. Once he was finally inducted, Slaughter faded as a topic of discussion. In a perverse way, Selig is performing the same "service" for Rose.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

9. Likes:

Big Klu (07-17-2013)

I tend to have no sympathy for Rose and get tired of hearing the arguments for reinstating him. BUT, I am young enough that I never really saw him play, at least at his height. So, I don't have those warm memories of Rose that all of my older family members do (and they all want him in the HOF). I vaguely remember 4192, but most of my knowledge of Pete is from about '88 forward, so it is hard for me to empathize with him. It is kind of like asking people under 30 about Michael Jackson. They don't know how big he was and how much people loved him, all they know is the creepy stuff.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I tend to have no sympathy for Rose and get tired of hearing the arguments for reinstating him. BUT, I am young enough that I never really saw him play, at least at his height. So, I don't have those warm memories of Rose that all of my older family members do (and they all want him in the HOF). I vaguely remember 4192, but most of my knowledge of Pete is from about '88 forward, so it is hard for me to empathize with him. It is kind of like asking people under 30 about Michael Jackson. They don't know how big he was and how much people loved him, all they know is the creepy stuff.
    Michael was big. I don't know if everyone loved him, but everyone respected how big he was. Michael in the early 80's was huge--just a dominant force on the pop/rock landscape in the early days of MTV. Thriller (not just the song, but the entire album) became a pop culture phenomenon.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Michael was big. I don't know if everyone loved him, but everyone respected how big he was. Michael in the early 80's was huge--just a dominant force on the pop/rock landscape in the early days of MTV. Thriller (not just the song, but the entire album) became a pop culture phenomenon.
    My kids are 16 and under and they all know who Michael Jackson was, both pop icon and super freak. And it didn't come from me.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?