Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Watching Moneyball

  1. #31
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,085

    Re: Watching Moneyball

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    It pretty much does. Why have teams historically gone through 2-5 levels of signs if all the teams aren't stealing signs when they can? Heck, even in little league there are multiple signs to try and throw the other team off. It's a big game within the game, it's not cheating by any means.

    Now, teams that feel someone is stealing signs may take some action toward that player (like hitting him the next time he bats or something) but that doesn't make it cheating; just means they were mad about it.

    Bum
    Okay, I stand corrected. Stealing signs may not be cheating. I do still think it is possible to cheat, though, without explicitly violating a rule.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Watching Moneyball

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Okay, I stand corrected. Stealing signs may not be cheating. I do still think it is possible to cheat, though, without explicitly violating a rule.
    Probably true, I just can't come up with a "for instance" off the top of my head. There are plenty of unwritten rules in baseball, where one may be called a cheater for breaking them. Up to one's point of view whether that is actually cheating or not however (ie: bunting in the 9th inning of a no-hitter).

  4. #33
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,085

    Re: Watching Moneyball

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Probably true, I just can't come up with a "for instance" off the top of my head. There are plenty of unwritten rules in baseball, where one may be called a cheater for breaking them. Up to one's point of view whether that is actually cheating or not however (ie: bunting in the 9th inning of a no-hitter).
    Wow. Bunting in the 9th inning of a no-hitter seems like even more than breaking a rule!

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Watching Moneyball

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Wow. Bunting in the 9th inning of a no-hitter seems like even more than breaking a rule!
    Just seems downright mean doesn't it?

  6. #35
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,502

    Re: Watching Moneyball

    Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Regarding steroids, if you ever get a chance I highly recommend watching the documentary film Bigger, Stonger, Faster. It is about steroid use in America and the opposing values of doing the right thing and being the best. It is informative, funny and unlike most documentary films which are slanted to make you take the side of the producer, it really leaves the question of right or wrong open ended.
    I second this recommendation.


    I would also recommend that anybody who has not yet read 'The Glory of Their Times' should read it if you want a look at what baseball at the turn of the last century looked like, and give you an idea of the kind of cheating the players used to routinely do. The best being that there used to be only one umpire so when his attention was diverted, baserunners would just cut across the diamond if going first to third or second to home.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Watching Moneyball

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I second this recommendation.


    I would also recommend that anybody who has not yet read 'The Glory of Their Times' should read it if you want a look at what baseball at the turn of the last century looked like, and give you an idea of the kind of cheating the players used to routinely do. The best being that there used to be only one umpire so when his attention was diverted, baserunners would just cut across the diamond if going first to third or second to home.
    lol...I have umpired many a game by myself and I haven't had this happen to me...or have I?

  8. #37
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,467

    Re: Watching Moneyball

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I would also recommend that anybody who has not yet read 'The Glory of Their Times' should read it if you want a look at what baseball at the turn of the last century looked like, and give you an idea of the kind of cheating the players used to routinely do. The best being that there used to be only one umpire so when his attention was diverted, baserunners would just cut across the diamond if going first to third or second to home.
    Wonderful book. If you get the opportunity to listen to Ritter's original recorded interviews for the book they are amazing.

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    313

    Re: Watching Moneyball

    Bonds highest salary for one season was 22 million in 2005. Ironically, he only played in 14 games that year. How's that for moneyball?


    Who wouldn't mind a 48 year Bonds in left at great american for a half a season? I hate the guy, but I imagine he'd still be deadly in GABP and worst case he'd be a great hitting coach.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25