Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone following all the cheating at North Carolina?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone following all the cheating at North Carolina?

I honestly don't even know where to begin. It's insane. UNC** is more protected than any institution in U.S history.

Re: Anyone following all the cheating at North Carolina?

*educational institution I meant to say.

I'll pull some articles together later, the craziest part is that they're essentially facing zero sanctions for decades of academic malfeasance via their African American Studies program. The program had verified no show classes, and a huge number of bball players were involved. The NCAA allowed them to pawn it all off on the fball program.

As a fan of a program that was taken to the woodshed for previous infractions (deservedly so), the favoritism shown UNC and Duke is pretty infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    *educational institution I meant to say.

I'll pull some articles together later, the craziest part is that they're essentially facing zero sanctions for decades of academic malfeasance via their African American Studies program. The program had verified no show classes, and a huge number of bball players were involved. The NCAA allowed them to pawn it all off on the fball program.

As a fan of a program that was taken to the woodshed for previous infractions (deservedly so), the favoritism shown UNC and Duke is pretty infuriating.
    Kinda funny when you mention Duke, who had Lance Thomas who refused to talk to NCAA investigators. Had that happened anywhere else, the program would have been levied sanctions. Because it was Duke, they dropped the case.

The other part to the story is PJ Hairston, who received numerous automobiles to rent through a UNC booster. I really hope this story blows up like Ohio State with Tressel to where the NCAA can't turn a blind eye to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-17-2013),WMR (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Kinda funny when you mention Duke, who had Lance Thomas who refused to talk to NCAA investigators. Had that happened anywhere else, the program would have been levied sanctions. Because it was Duke, they dropped the case.

The other part to the story is PJ Hairston, who received numerous automobiles to rent through a UNC booster. I really hope this story blows up like Ohio State with Tressel to where the NCAA can't turn a blind eye to it.
    Have you seen the letter the NCAA sent to Miami stating that if they didn't respond to their inquiry within so many days it would be taken as an admission of committing NCAA violations?

And then Memphis gets a Final Four stripped because Derrick Rose doesn't respond to a letter of inquiry from the NCAA. The NCAA is okay with Lance Thomas refusing to talk since he's no longer a student but D. Rose's "refusal" is seen as a tacit admittance of guilt.

But Duke skates again and again. Hell, the Maggette situation was as clear cut a case of impermissible benefits as you could ever imagine.

Haven't even gotten into the Wheels for Heels program yet.

Can you imagine if all this crap was going on at UK? Thameltoe would be living in Lexington, Goodman would be tweeting incessantly, Forde would be writing a book, and the NCAA would be working on nailing us to the wall. The silence is deafening.
    Last edited by WMR; 07-17-2013 at 03:56 PM.

I really hope this story blows up like Ohio State with Tressel to where the NCAA can't turn a blind eye to it.
    OSU got off pretty easy for their scandal, IMO.
    Other schools got punished much harder for less.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Relative to Oregon and Auburn?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Relative to Oregon and Auburn?
    Auburn didn't do anything wrong.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    This just isn't true. Have you seen what happened to Oregon?For an actual on the field competitive advantage.
    Last edited by Gunner44; 07-20-2013 at 02:13 PM.

The car PJ was driving was from an agent or one of the agent's runners. In no way was the individual connected to UNC.
    Last edited by Reds Freak; 07-17-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The car PJ was driving was from an agent or one of the agent's runners. In no way was the individual connected to UNC.
    And the guy bankrolling Reggie Bush didn't have a connection to USC, either. Sometimes the NCAA cares about agents and sometimes it doesn't, which is the maddening part, but to the extent there is any logic whatsoever in their thinking, it tends to revolve around this question -- did anyone at the university know (either admittedly or in the NCAA's judgment), and fail to act? That's usually where the line is between an athlete eligibility issue and an institutional control issue.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I know what you mean. My school (Marshall) had our football program decimated for a much lesser scandal. It is really frustrating to see UNC getting a finger wag and slap on the wrist when many other schools have been nailed to the wall.

13. Likes:

LexRedsFan (07-18-2013),WMR (07-17-2013)

Wait College sports might be tainted?

Wait a UK fan is complaining about UNC!!

Wait I find it all funny!

15. Likes:

WMR (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wait College sports might be tainted?

Wait a UK fan is complaining about UNC!!

Wait I find it all funny!
    The difference is UK paid for what they did in the 50's and 80's, while schools like UNC and Duke (and others) are protected by the NCAA and the media. There is definitely a double standard and has been for a long time.

17. Likes:

TeamSelig (07-25-2013),TheBigLebowski (07-30-2013),WMR (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The difference is UK paid for what they did in the 50's and 80's, while schools like UNC and Duke (and others) are protected by the NCAA and the media. There is definitely a double standard and has been for a long time.
    Let me guess you root for KY?

I'm not huge BB fan so I have dog in this hunt, but I hear a lot of folks complain about UK

The Wooden/gilbert era at UCLA is the best example of a Cheating school getting off Scott free .
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-17-2013),WMR (07-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?